Author Topic: Dragon's Lair reproduction laser disc  (Read 23349 times)

Dazza

• View Profile
Re: Dragon's Lair reproduction laser disc
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »
I'll definately bring them along to EuroMeet to show them off  ;D

I was taking special care with the choice based on background (The Space Ace one is a gem!). However, all the dragon's lair ones left for sale are a bit plain, so I just went for the exciting scene.

I am still really pi$$ed off I never got that lair scene with Dirk inserting the key and that reaper scene.....grrrrr

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 10:19:25 PM »
What happened Jas? All those cells you bought are up for auction again!

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
    • http://www.jasonfinn.com
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 10:17:21 PM »
Daz,

They made a mistake by listing them, I have purchased all 51 pieces they have left from Dragons lair, I am a true Dragons Lair Fan at the end of the day, there are a few Space Ace images I like, they will just have to wait, Space Ace has to play second fiddle to Dragons lair I am afraid.

-Jas
"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 10:58:04 PM »
Well I may not have got 51 pieces but my 2 arrived through the other day and I am WELL pleased! I'll stick a few piccies up when I get a chance. There is definately something magical about viewing the original cells... Part of history!

Jas, I look forward to seeing your new batch  ;D

MFox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 05:21:24 PM »
Hey everyone.

I thought I would step in and just correct some the information on the "lost footage" on the DLE discs since I was the one who made them.

There are a number of different versions of prototype discs that were produced in the early days of Dragon's Lair.  All of the discs are accounted for except the first one that was produced for an amusement show which I believe was held in Chicago.  The footage on the disc was important as it contained footage and scenes that were later cut or changed when the game was reworked.  The original intention was to have multiple choices withing some rooms, but due to slow laserdisc seek times, the game was too choppy to watch and it was revised to only one right path per scene.  There was speculation that this disc may be sitting in Rick Dyer's prototype DL game in storage, but not likely (unfortunately).

There was a game show in the 80's called Starcade where kids would compete on video games and the winner would have a chance at winning a brand new arcade game.  Dragon's Lair was brand new and to hype the show, a 1" copy of the 1st generation prototype disc was sent to the show's producers for promotional purposes.  This footage sat in the archives of the producer's for years.  In 2001, someone from one of the gaming magazines or blogs was interviewing the producer of Starcade when he happen, by chance, to show the footage to the interviewer.  Having the thought that this may be interesting footage, he requested a VHS copy.  This footage made its way to Jeff Kinder who posted the information on his DLP site in 2001.

In 2002 when I was making the DLE discs, I paid the producers of the show for a copy of this footage so it could be added to the end of the standard disc information.  Don Bluth and Gary Goldman didn't have any of these discs or footage from them.  The footage contained scene boards and color bars as well as the colorful running Dirks which I ended up having edited out due to space constraints (the DLE disc is almost 31mins of info on a 30min disc).  In addition, the order of scenes was altered to ensure the "lost scenes" would all fit on the disc.  The ropes scene was not changed from the original prototype and I had it edited to the end of the disc in case the players couldn't read that far.  I also added the title narative to the audio as it was not on the footage.  So the copy I had was a 1" copy of a 1" tape which was likely a copy of a laserdisc which is a copy of the master (so at least 4th generation.)

I sent 6 beta copies to Rick Dyer for review.  Rick was watching the video one evening when he realized that the cut scenes were now added to my discs and called me immediately.  Rick requested that I send my 1" copy to them for archival purposes which I then did.

I hope this clears up some of your questions regarding the footage.

Mike

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 07:36:44 PM »
Great Mike fox!

Here on the dragon's lair fans site

Hope everything is all right, Buddy!

Maverick

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 08:51:47 PM »
A *warm* welcome to you Mike  :-*

Thanks for the corrections. You're the best person for speaking about DLE discs.

:spaceace:

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
    • http://www.jasonfinn.com
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 08:25:27 PM »

Before I start everyone, Mike knows everything about Dragons lair, and is one of only a few people I consider to be a big part of keeping DL alive!!

Mike,

How have you been my friend, your name is still down in my will for Serial #1 if I should peg-it!!

Its great to hear from you, hope everything is going well for you, the community is not the same as it was almost 10 years ago when it was booming with new collectors and interest in our hobby!!

Mike another question about the DLE discs....what happened to all the discs that 1 guy pre-ordered to make the project work, its seem's criminal now how cheap you sold the Disc's, I remember one that fetched over $400, I use mine in my Cinematronics machine with Daves Roms.

Hope to see a lot more of you.
-Finny
"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"