Author Topic: [Superully's Restoration] Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...  (Read 125100 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: Bubble Bobble Project - here we go ...
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 09:36:37 PM »

after the cleaning process, it's time to fix the damages to the wood. worst off is the bottom of the cab - broken wood everywhere!!!

but nothing that "ye good olde wood filler" can't handle  8)

sanding it down ...

after repainting the wood, it's DONE!!! have i already used the word "thrilled" today???  ;)

the next step is going to be huge: repainting the sides and the front without having taito stencils. stencils for taito cabs DO exist, but not for this style (at least i haven't been able to find them). don't know how i'm going to tackle that problem yet, because without stencils this is going to be a pain in the b***  :-X

anyone got and idea???

all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 07:46:30 AM »
Many on this board have access to crazy sized printers/know people who own print shops.. Maybe they can reproduce a full sized decal?  ;)

nicolas le jardinier

• France
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
Hi,

maybe you can find some idea here :
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=88462&highlight=bubble+bobble

I like your project  :D, I had the same but  hadn't find any taito cab.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »
Many on this board have access to crazy sized printers/know people who own print shops.. Maybe they can reproduce a full sized decal?  ;)

yeah, but the problem is to get the artwork scanned to make a full sized decal even possible. i don't have a mobile a3 scanner and some parts of the sideart (like the latters or the curves) are simply impossible to mask without the proper stencils. to be honest, right now i don't know how to tackle that problem ...  ???
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »
guys, i need your input, 'cause i don't know how to continue from here ??? good that we have "mr. bubble bobble himself" muerto on board now, i'm very curious what he has to say, too.

ok, we all know that there is no real dedicated BB cabinet with sideart and stuff. there are two different marquees, but no real control panel overlay, so anyone who wants to own a dedicated BB cabinet has to be creative to create something on his own (like muerto has).

i'm still stuck with my red taito cab and my first idea was to keep the red and beige colours and edit the existing marquee to match those colours, i wanted to use red and orange joysticks for bub and bob, but i don't think that this is a good idea anymore, because simply BUB AND BOB ARE NOT RED AND ORANGE  :!:

here are the joysticks i have  :arrow:   

my new idea is to stick with the original blue and green colours and use the blue and green joysticks, but what am i supposed to do with the red cabinet then? i’ve been thinking about keeping the beige colour and painting the rest of the cabinet blue – but i’m not sure whether beige and blue look good together. i guess as long as the blue is not too bright it should look pretty good, but i’d have to do some colour testing regarding this. one problem will be to mask the artwork off exactly because unfortunately there are no stencils available for this kind of taito sideart.

one more reason why i’m leaning towards switching to blue and green: i have the chance to get another one of those taito cabinets – it’s exactly the same with exactly the same colours (red and beige). in a distant future ;) i’d love to use this other cabinet to house rainbow islands (the sequel to bubble bobble) and somehow i think that red and orange for the RI cabinet would be much better than blue and green PLUS the characters in RI have red / orange hair. furthermore, no marquee exists for RI, so i could decide for myself what it should look like and adept it to fit the red colour of the cab.

your turn now: INPUT PLEASE 8)

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »
Go for the red ully,

Keep in mind
You're using the original Us DL wico joysticks

Maverick

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 07:43:43 PM »
well, 1sf of all, thx for the compliment :)

in my opinion there´s a 3rd option....
find a taito cab in green... - or make it yourself...

if youre succesful then it´s a strait homerun from there, and then you can use my custom CPO :D :D
and as you sain, bub and bob has to be green and blue.

And, with the cabinet in the same style as the orange you allready got, it would just be Perfect for Rainbow Islands!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »
Go for the red ully,

Keep in mind
You're using the original Us DL wico joysticks

Maverick

i'm going for red, the question is: on which cab - BB or RI?  man, these are incredible problems i'm facing here  ;) ;D

btw, the joysticks came from a simpson cab!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »
in my opinion there´s a 3rd option....
find a taito cab in green... - or make it yourself...
And, with the cabinet in the same style as the orange you allready got, it would just be Perfect for Rainbow Islands!

unfortunately, this is NOT an option, because the green taito cabinets as you've pictured it is a DIFFERENT style than the one i have. otherwise i would simply use the available stencils!

right now i'm leaning towards BB in BLUE and RI in RED. i really need to do some colour tests ...

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »
I've often see TAITO cabinet during few road trips or inside arcade warehouses, for example :

well, here's one in turquoise, but i don't like that colour!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 08:13:06 PM »
you can tape all the orange over and sparypaint it with that off-white color, and reverse the prosess...

did a little somthing so you could see the result... :

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 08:23:30 PM »
did a little somthing so you could see the result... :

just checked my cabinet in the other room - still red  ;) why can't it be that easy? :P

wow, thx for the effort. i think both look great, although i have to admit the green one even looks a bit better than the blue, but it wouldn't fit the marquee and the cpo then, would it? i've already bought special masking tape to create my own stencils, but this is going to be one hell of a job. all of that for a game of two dragons blowing bubbles  :)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 08:32:07 PM »
the custom made CPO is 600mm wide and 363mm high...
dont know what the CP of the TAITO cab is, but that would be an easy fix....

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 08:39:18 PM »
little off topic..

do anyone know if the taito cab bruno is holding on to is for sale?
would make a nice Arkanoid!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »
Finally, i got a coin door, and got it mounted tonight..., that sure mad the cab more "arcade like"

Now, the only thing missing is the speaker (above the monitor)