Author Topic: Nintendo Space Firebird Upright : trying to revive a species long dead  (Read 17990 times)

Franzy21

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Space Firebird Upright : trying to revive a species long dead
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 10:40:11 PM »
Nope.
The blue is still there but I have the impression it may come from the PCB rather than the monitor.
(when I start the game with the PCB unplugged the screen is black)
I have two spare untested Space Firebirds boards and hope  one  of the two will work and prove me right.
But first, I need to get to my storage area, in a few weeks unfortunately.

Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting in a barn for me... somewhere! A Nintendo Sheriff would also make me happy. And a SNK Sasuke Vs Commanders or a SEGA Samurai... Argh too many; in fact!

Franzy21

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Space Firebird Upright : trying to revive a species long dead
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 10:50:42 PM »
UPDATE

After years of doing nothing, slow thinking, finding schematics etc... I finlly managed to understand why the screen was oversaturated in blue and colors wrong.
A few months ago, I decided I needed to remove the monitor PCB from the cab to try a cap kit before going to more exteeme ways such as rejuvenation or replacement etc...

I managed to find low res schematics of the Sanyo 20-DZC (monitor in a box) in Arcarc Xmission Radarscope schematics.
I also managed to find another monitor PCB and found something weird.

On my PCB in the RGB driver section the IC201 and neighbouring holes were equipped with components while this section was bare on the other one...
IC201 (a TTL 7400 chip) is not even on the Radarscope schematics.

I decided to have my PCB mirror the other one and the schematics and did a full cap kit at the same time...

And voilĂ , when put back in place, the monitor provided nice and vibrant colors for Space Firebird...
After 5 years the game is complete and plays perfectly.
A gret learning experience for me.
:)

Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting in a barn for me... somewhere! A Nintendo Sheriff would also make me happy. And a SNK Sasuke Vs Commanders or a SEGA Samurai... Argh too many; in fact!