Author Topic: Berzerk restoration  (Read 8208 times)

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
Berzerk restoration
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:50:15 PM »
Hi guys,

I posted the arrive of my berzerk here and since yesterday, I decided to to a full restoration instead of only fix it that it runs.
Reason was when I saw all the rust, I dismounted near every metal part and brought it to the sandblasting guy.
Tomorrow, I will clean the empty cab and have a look at the "modified" wiring harness ( the operator where I bought it from cut a few wires off to put a jamma connector on it ).
The G07 isnt working either, the width coil is damaged ( common problem ), but I already ordered parts from the states.

About the cab and sideart: I just wanna clean the cab and dont wanna respray it because im really happy with the sideart. And if im going to touch up the black color, I have to color it so carefully around the blue and red graphics. No, im not lazy I just know my skills  ;D  So I will brush it down with water and a sponge.

The marquee was colored completely black, with paint remover there came astro invader back to life. Well, not the correct marquee, so I ordered a used 1 from ebay usa.

There was "Rastan Saga" mounted in the cab and as you can see, they scratched off the overlay from the control panel and put a 2nd ( or 3rd ) button into it  :evil:
Since I refuse to pay 250,- for a repro, I thought I will go with an overlay. But if im lucky, I can get a used cp from a nice guy  :D
But luckily, I got the original berzerk pcb´s in an extra box.

Here you can see the burn-in in the G07. Well as I wrote, I have to fix the chassis, but I still have a few nice tubes in the garage. Lets have a look when everything is running, maybe you cant see the burn in that much.

Ah and btw, I already ordered a JROK pcb for the cab, because its bullet proof ( more or less ) and the harness was already adapted for a jamma connection.
But then we had an interesting discussion/input from Jochen at the german forum and that made me think about it again. And since I really enjoyed the restored DK Jr and Defender, I think I will give the original board a try and fix it ( or let it fix from someone who can do that ^^ ). That too was the reason I decded to dismount, derust and repaint all the metal parts. And if the original board runs, maybe I can offer you a JROK board?  ;D

Man, since Arcadiafest in hungary, I cant wait to play berzerk again  ;D

Edit:
Ah yes, nearly forgot to ask you, if some has a spare plastic inlet - the one which says 25 cent and with that grey plastic behind of it? ( picture is from the web )
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:53:05 PM by Andreas_AUT »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: Berzerk restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 09:24:17 AM »
May I suggest you hold on to the JROK board, because the original boards are su unstable, it will be a matter of time before they not working properly.. :)

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
Well I wont sell it instantly :-D  And yes, it has frenzy too. But is there that much difference between berzerk and frenzy ( havent played frenzy once )?
Anyways, my main goal now is to go with the original hardware. And I realized that im missing the filter board and single row 23 pin ribbon cables  :roll:.
I know its not pretty but I guess I will go with jumperwires in the meantime, they are cheap and should work too.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 10:32:18 AM »
I believe old style SCSI cables are what you are looking for, they are 50 pin double, so 1 row covers 25  ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-30-50-Pin-SCSI-Internal-Ribbon-Flat-Cable-F-F-5-Connector-4-Device-Drive-/272665150059

Alpha1, find me the Amplifone boards and I send you as many replacement Berzerk cables as you want ! ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, I stole the idea to buy a SCSI cable and cut it up from here:

http://www.wowway.com/%7Eookpik72/brl.html

Of course you have to sand the sides a bit to make them fit. Also since SCSI is 50 pins (and you use only the top half), so this leaves 2 unused pins on one side.)

I got the SCSI "tower" cable with 8 connectors from a large on-line computer seller which happens to be "around the corner" from me for only 9 Euro's:
http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Kabels_U-SCSI/Advance_Peripherals/SCSI-tower-kabel/-1002674/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Kabels&l2=U-SCSI

From one cable you can make 4 flat-cables, so you need more if you need to replace more of them.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:38:18 AM by Etienne MacGyver »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 08:45:57 PM »
But is there that much difference between berzerk and frenzy ( havent played frenzy once )?

It's basicly 2 different games - you can shoot the walls in Frenzy, but you can't in Berzerk.
Also, there's 2 versions of Berzerk on the BZF, Berzerk Slow Bullets and Berzerk Fast Bueelts..

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 09:45:01 PM »
Ah I see, well im super happy if Berzerk runs :-D

Thx Etienne for the link, today I asked the guys in the german arcade zone (again) holes into their stomach and I purchased 40 pin cables via amazon. I just cut the cables I dont need away and I can go further with my rebuild :-D

Yesterday, I cleaned the cab, 5 buckets full with really dirty water! But I can see a difference now. So tomorrow, I pick up the metal parts from the sandblasting guy and then its ready to paint ( or powdercoat, hmm ).

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 11:54:46 PM »
Original sideart rules, I'm really happy, that you didn't start to spary that beauty. :D

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 09:01:20 AM »
Ah I see, well im super happy if Berzerk runs :-D

Thx Etienne for the link, today I asked the guys in the german arcade zone (again) holes into their stomach and I purchased 40 pin cables via amazon. I just cut the cables I dont need away and I can go further with my rebuild :-D

Yesterday, I cleaned the cab, 5 buckets full with really dirty water! But I can see a difference now. So tomorrow, I pick up the metal parts from the sandblasting guy and then its ready to paint ( or powdercoat, hmm ).

40 pins uh, thats 20 per side..  you miss 3 wires then, or not ?

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
These are single row pins, and I  need 23 pins single row.
I ordered these:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 12:48:20 AM »
Excellent decisions about your restoration !

Berzerk is awesome....

And you are right about the side-art....looks fine. I never toucher mine either....

Hats off for trying to get the original board set running, mind you.....it's a tough job sometimes.....I've worked on quite a few Berzerk boards and gave up on some....

First of all check the battery area on the main board.

Oh and original board set-ups can be made reliable.....mine never had an issue after switching out some with spares.....

Muerto, did you still have issues ?

This reminds me....I still have a bunch of Berzerk PCBs between Ully, Michael and me....we should really split them up honestly....I'll investigate what I still have here....

Those connectors you ordered are going to be a PITA to connect and not make a mistake.....all those single connections......also.....these might not keep connected when moving the cab. I was lucky to have enough spare original flat cables to run my machine when I still hadn't it...but I also did use the SCSI solution for a while. Dangerous....it's easy to mispositioj those.

Do you have an original bat stick ?

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:36:35 PM »
Hi Lvl42,

thx for the info and reply guys.

Yeah I will take care about putting that wire´s correct onto the pcb.
I put the battery out because it leaked a tiny bit. And I already cleaned that area with vinegar and isopropanol after that. Also, I checked everything with the multimeter and luckily, its all good.

So, I just uploaded the picture on flickr:

As you can see, the damage is ( was ) only minor.

Sadly, I miss one of these inserts ( I mean that grey plastic )

About the joystick, there was an universal joystick mounted, sadly not that bat stick. But on the other side, I like the wico stick much more ( which I also dont have ). But there is plenty of time to get a proper joystick  ;D.

Since I  already update this thread, im working right now on video sequences. Im thinking about making a restoration movie clip on youtube. Ok, as an native german speaker, I will use subtext at the beginning ( until I feel confident to speak my alpish english in front of an camera  ;D ). But the big + doing movies is, you dont have to take care about if all pictures are linked correctly, and so on...

Yesterday and today, I spray painted a lot of parts. And today, I derusted some screws and repainted them too in alu-look and black.
And I used a "chrome" spray can for that silver coin door cover, I can tell you that much: I love that stuff  ;)

PS: I forgot I could be interested to get an complete spare pcb set for berzerk, just in case  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:41:29 PM by Andreas_AUT »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 08:55:04 PM »
Muerto, did you still have issues ?

Hi André.
I still have the original boards you fixed, in the cab, though, I can't get it to work anymore.
I have changed all the cables that connected the PCB's, and it worked for a while, sadly it didn't work for more than a year, so I ended up buying the BZF from Braze - works like a charm now - and it play's Frenzy as well :D

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »
love it!