Author Topic: 4 new projects, DK Jr here!  (Read 15334 times)

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
Re: 4 new projects
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »
Hey Muddymusic, I wasnt sure if you are here on DLF too, good to know :-)

Thx, I already had some PM via UKVAC about the Marquee with you, but my marquee is in very good condition, so sorry, I dont need that.

But im not sure about sidearts and I definitely need that bezel stickers ( and maybe CPO, depends on in what condition I will get a CP or only the trackball ).

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »
Maybe shipping gets cheaper without a pcb? I dont know what norways post office is charging for it, but I got used to some prices from our post office  ;D

Shipping will be around 50 euro.  :(

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »
Holy ship, thats much. Well at this moment, I keep it in mind that you would have one too  :D

Guys, I need your help/opinion:

At the beginning, I just want to put a working PCB and monitor into it, make it pretty and put it into my game room.
Making it pretty was the "failure" - the screws for the monitors ( they one which go through the sideart ) and the coindoor need some cleaning. Putting them out was hardcore: means 2/3 of all screws are completely rusty, I had to cut that coinbox plate into 2 parts to get it out - the screws on one side didnt want to move.

I had to use an flex tool to cut the nuts away, then I was able to knock the screws out of the front wooden plate.

So, there are some rusty parts still in there, like this monitor plate bracket. Or all the screws for the front plate.

The point is, should I go hardcore, dismantle the whole cab just to put new screws into it? I mean that rusty parts are ugly, but you wont see it anymore when the game runs ( all are hidden inside the cab ) and the cab stands in an dry gameroom. On the other side, I know there are some things undone when I stop here and rebuild the cab to working condition.

Decisions, decisions...

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »
Hehe Laszo, its a way too late now.

This is day 3 of my restauration ( ok, spent some time for my neo geo too ) and I am really exhausted. Luckily, I sit now in front of my computer with an ice cold beer  ;D

So, the cab has only top, bottom and sidewalls left, near everything else has been gone out. Guys, you wont believe, there are SO MANY screws/nuts and bolts which are totally rusted. Even if they look nice, the thread from the sparx/screw is rusted into the wood. So off course you cant put out them with a normal screwdriver or ratchet, you ruin the head or they brake off.

If amazon is correct, I get some more tool on tuesday ( drills and small cutting discs ) and I can finish the disassemble. The wooden plates, well that top layer on the inside ( veneer? ) goes off because it must have been wet in the past. I have to fix that. Then the screw holes: many times, the screw just rip off the hole ( without turning ), so the hole isnt really good now to put in a new screw. I will fix that with some special wood filler.
The controlpanel, no you cant just simply put out all screws normally. Its the same desaster like on the cabinet - the cabinet I thought is in pretty good condition and just a simple Monitor / power supply change. Well...

This here is a screwhead:

Here is a picture where my DK was placed before:

Since I paid a lot of money for a nintendo cab, there is no other solution than restoring it to former glory! Because no one would pay you that much for a cab in this condition.
Metal parts will get powder coated. Screws will be bought new. And I will grind the wood and repaint respectively fix the damage.

Partslist:

T-Molding
CPO
screws
sideart
video soundboard from mikes arcade ( since i dont use an sanyo )

Last thing: the paint
I already bought some paint Ral 2011 from my test example ( broke a small chip off ) but today, I removed the sideart.

This picture does not reflect the original color ( smartphone pictures ), but you can see the difference between the small part laying on the sidewall. The small part and the right side ( where the sideart was on before ), you can see that the color is different to the left side. Well no sunlight, no color change. So I will buy a new paint to get as close to the original color as possible.

I hope I can finish that rebuild in the next... hmm .. 5 weeks?

Pinge

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 07:50:01 PM »
haha, love the place of the DK on the ship!!
We have a galaxian coctailtable that were in the center of the reactorcore when the shit hit the fan i Fukkushima... will be a funny restore aswell.

I have a DK-Jr in far from perfect condition... so i will follow this restoration with big interest, might even ask a question or two later on whenever I get to star on mine... I do have a sanyo in it, stonedead though.
- Always looking for Playchoice & Mega-Tech -

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 10:22:57 AM »
Wow, that is a big job. Respect!  :spaceace:
I love that submarine picture too!  ;D

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »
We have a galaxian coctailtable that were in the center of the reactorcore when the shit hit the fan i Fukkushima...

WHAT? Surely you must mean that it looks like it was there?  ;D ??? :oops:

Pinge

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 11:26:55 AM »
not really to be honest, more likely it was dug up from a pile of dirt...
sorry to go OT in this thread but here is how the coindoor looks like.... how the hell to hay and dirt get there?
The rest of the inside is in the same state, it was definatley something living inside it for quite some time...

- Always looking for Playchoice & Mega-Tech -

rogerxy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »
Cool thread with some really nice pickups. Every cabinet saved warms my heart  :D

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 03:21:24 PM »
Keep posting and we will send good vibes your way. May the force be with you ⚡️

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
Thx guys  ;D
Not much progress at the moment. I had a lot of organisation to do, doing another pcb bulk buy, and I ordered a lot of parts, screws, tools and missing parts from mikes arcade from the states.

I think I have to tell you, that this guy is REALLY FAST!! I mean I placed an order there and normally it takes 1-2 days for some respond. But after a few hours, I got the mail it has been shipped  :shock: ;)  And then I got some refund too. Beside that, Mike is always responding if you have a question or when I mentioned I could make a picture of schematic, he is missing on his site. Great shop  :!:

I got some laminate for the inside of the cab, which broke off when removing stuff. I guess next week, I will continue with it.
Happy easter @all!

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 07:55:27 PM »
Actually, I didnt update the thread here because I had not much time to spend on the cab restoration.
But a few weeks now, I spend 2-3h some days to bring up some progress.

So, after putting many parts together ( and watching the pictures which part belongs to which place ), im actually asking myself: what color should it get.

As Ully mentioned, if you look at the cp and marquee, the cab should be blue.
See also these impressions:

and:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/donkey-kong-jr-in-rare-factory-blue-cabinet

So, I already have the orange color for the cab at home, but since that cab already is a bit ugly, im thinking about doing it blue... hard decision!

To be honest, I shouldnt have dismantled the whole cabinet. Just make all screwheads nice, but well, that train has gone a long time ago. While dismantling, many times, the top wood layer just peeled of because of rust and water damage.
Now im trying to make it pretty again, but it would never be the same as before. On the other side, almost no rusty parts now inside the cab!

I still have to sanddust the coindoor and 2 other metal bars, so I will update this with pictures in the very near future.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:34 PM »
go blue  8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 05:10:48 PM »
go blue  8)

Bought it, stay tuned  8)