Author Topic: Canyon Bomber pcb troubleshooting  (Read 4987 times)

Franzy21

• View Profile
Canyon Bomber pcb troubleshooting
« on: March 29, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »
Guys,

I have had this Atari Europe Canyon Bomber pcb in my basement for over a year now.
I decided this week-end to see if I could try to power it up and do something about it.
I made a quick harness and fired it up with a 12V 2A PSU.
Screen is a little garbled but I see the dirigibles and the planes as well as the bottom balls with numbers filling the canyon.
When I test I only get 4.6VDC on IC's the farthest from the LM323 voltage regulator.

Question 1 : Should I upgrade to a 3A PSU?

Question 2 : LM323 seems to do its work but the bypass wirewound resistor gets very hot (the long black one on top right corner of the PCB pic close tho the voltage regulator and its big heat sink). Is this normal? Can I just remove the LM323 and resistor and use a 5VDC 3A PSU that I have somewhere ? Or even feed the board as is with my 5VDC ?

Franzy
Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting in a barn for me... somewhere! A Nintendo Sheriff would also make me happy. And a SNK Sasuke Vs Commanders or a SEGA Samurai... Argh too many; in fact!

xadhoom

• View Profile
Re: Canyon Bomber pcb troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:51:35 PM »
I suggest to you to use this
http://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/psu5.html#.WOAgnDxoaEc
And remove the feedback hot resistor.
If you sell this pcb I'm interested
Best regards

Franzy21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:23:50 PM »
Excellent.
I'll have a look.
Thanks.
Unfortunately it's the only Canyon Bomber PCB I have but I see a second one I'll keep you posted. :)
Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting in a barn for me... somewhere! A Nintendo Sheriff would also make me happy. And a SNK Sasuke Vs Commanders or a SEGA Samurai... Argh too many; in fact!

xadhoom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:28:43 AM »
I have one 90% working, if I can help you.
The power supply can fix power problem for ever.
I put it on each board I have repair and have no more problems

Franzy21

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 08:37:14 AM »
LM323K replacement ordered.
Then I'll see the impact.
in the meantime, I've tried the board with a 12V 3A PSU and the only change was that the bypass wire resistor was smoking instead of just being hot..
:)

xadhoom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
If you power the board directly with dc you have to remove the resistor and lm323!

Franzy21

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
Thanks for the support.
So if I remove LM and resistor I will need a 5V DC supply.
Must I use a 3A PSU or can I use a classical arcade PSU rated at 10-15A?