Author Topic: Restoration (Centipede cabaret)  (Read 20769 times)

Arch

• View Profile
Re: Restoration (Centipede cabaret)
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 09:22:25 AM »
Cool thread! I actually have used the same stuff as body filler when rebuilding my cabs - Plastic Padding chemical metal bought at Clas Ohlson. It is toxic as hell though, and it gives off heavy fumes that will shorten your life by a couple of years. In one of the videos by Ully he uses something called Ponal Duo. I think I will order some from Germany and try it out. Apparently it smells like bubble gum.  :roll:

By the way, before you lash out 3000,- SEK on woodgrain vinyl from Escapepod. I ordered the following for my Tempest, and it is a very close match to the original: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161235122498?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And at a tenth of the price. :)

Apart from woodwork, recapping is the most tedious part of this hobby. I wish I could sit in on one of your beer and cap evenings. Looks fun!  :spaceace:

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:25:13 AM by Arch »
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.

Pinge

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »
You are welcome to join us, maybe take a weekend later this year?
- Always looking for Playchoice & Mega-Tech -

rogerxy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
I love Chemical Metal, once you've applied it, it stays forever (use rubber gloves & don't get anything on the floor!) & the fumes keep you high enough to not begin to question what you're doing with your life when you spend time & money working on 40 year old video game crap.

Thank you for the woodgrain tip! What method did you use when applying it on the cabinet?

Absolutely, just take a weekend and join us some time! Arcade work, Arcade play and Beer  :pac:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:32:23 PM by rogerxy »

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »
Truth is, I haven't applied it yet! But I will let you know. ;)

I'd like that! Let's talk over summer! :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:34:21 PM by Arch »
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.

rogerxy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »
Finally applied my first CPO. It was quite nervous & the result is not perfect but I'm pleased with it nevertheless  :)

The artwork is not the same as the original though. Realized that when I was done  :ghost: Oh well, it doesn't bother me that much

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42

rogerxy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2018, 07:40:20 PM »
Truth is, I haven't applied it yet! But I will let you know. ;)

I'd like that! Let's talk over summer! :)

Better late than never but I did order the woodgrain side art and applied it some weeks ago. All I can say is that the side art is worthless :)
It won't stick on anything (certainly not wood grain) and the quality is really bad, easy to tear.

Andreas_AUT

• hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 08:30:08 PM »
Hmm, maybe you can "save" that with 2-sided sticky tape? You can get it in much larger sizes than the small tapeĀ“s like for closing packages.

rogerxy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 11:35:49 PM »
Doubt it, every roughness will be seen through the vinyl, it will not look good. I think I'm going to go with the Johns Arcade way. 1st apply laminate on the sides to get a flat surface: https://youtu.be/h3jF-61RuoI
Then apply the wood grain vinyl on the laminate.

I also rebuilt the trackball with the kit from AS: http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/16/2-trackball-rebuild-kit-atari-happ.htm
With two new optic PCBs: http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/828/atari-happ-trackball-optic-pcb.htm

Also shoutout to muddymusic for providing a new CPO  :D