Author Topic: Scratch Build Track & Field Cocktail  (Read 3490 times)

StilgarISCA

• View Profile
Scratch Build Track & Field Cocktail
« on: October 27, 2016, 07:46:06 AM »
Hello All,

I'm sure like most of you, I've been a fan of arcade machines since I first laid eyes on one in the early 80s. I never thought about the possibility of owning my own arcade machines until I discovered the rec.games.video.arcade.collecting Usenet group many years later in college. The problem then was that I didn't have any damn money or storage space. I more or less forgot about this dream until I stumbled across Todd Tuckey's TNT Amusements channel on YouTube, and I was hooked in again. Of course, now that I have some money, the prices have gone up beyond what I'd like to pay for a decent machine. Then I found one of scr33ns scratch build videos and I started to believe that I could do that.

Earlier this spring I set out to build my own Track and Field Cocktail. While I am trying to be relatively accurate, I'm not going for 100%. I know that posting pictures and updates in forums like this are a typical way to share out your builds with the masses, but I hate how image links grow stale and the build out pictures get lost over time. So I set up a blog for my build. I've been trying to post about some of the details, including the parts that aren't quite going as planned because I think that's interesting too. There are a few WTFs I've decided I can live with and most people other than myself probably wouldn't notice without close inspection.

Anyway, I wanted to share it out with the community and just see what people think. I'm new to the forum here (other than reading anonymously for a while), so I hope it's acceptable to post a link like this:
https://www.classicarcadeprojects.com/

I'm hoping to get this thing wrapped up before winter, but between my kids, the weather and other responsibilities it's generally taking me a lot longer than I thought it would to get this built. But I've had a good time doing it, and I've learned quite a bit, so I'm already considering another scratch build of a Gauntlet II.

I'm a little bit father along than I have updated in my blog posts, but not too much.

-StilgarISCA
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:49:48 AM by StilgarISCA »

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
Re: Scratch Build Track & Field Cocktail
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:03:55 AM »
Very nice! One of my fav. cocktails! canĀ“t wait to see more results. :)
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

StilgarISCA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words.

I was thinking I might ask at work if they'll let me put it into one of our kitchenettes for a while so my coworkers can enjoy it too. Might leave it as coin op play and donate any money to a local charity or something.

I kinda thought I might need some sort of vending license, but I couldn't find anything in the local law books that indicated I would.

-StilgarISCA

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »
Enjoyed reading your blog. Well done, it looks like it is gonna be a beautifull cocktail. Keep posting and don't for get some more pics....We love pics.

StilgarISCA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:38:21 AM »
Thanks!

Here's a image that's a little closer to where I'm at in construction. I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

More updates soon!

-Stilgar