Author Topic: Making of Galaxian3!  (Read 5637 times)

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
Making of Galaxian3!
« on: August 31, 2016, 07:20:27 AM »
This appeared in my YouTube stream today:

https://youtu.be/8eyjfNqTHbk

A documentary showing the making of Galaxian 3! Maybe it has been posted here before? If so I apoligize.  :)

Toykyle

• We saved GT-6. Now it's time to save GH-16 & GH-28
    • View Profile
Re: Making of Galaxian3!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:59:49 PM »
The workprint version seems to have different music that was later replaced in the final build. Think we should edit the wikipedia page?

Zeether

• Roger, out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 06:45:38 PM »
There is a video of this 1990 "location" version on Youtube elsewhere, but it's a camcorder recording from a visitor that is a little hard to see. Glad to see this one though!

From what I can tell there are quite a few differences:

• The graphics are obviously not as detailed, probably a very early version of Starblade's hardware (the graphics for Cannon Seed's explosions here look like Red Eye). The final version of GH-28 seemed to use an upgraded board?
  • Laser fire graphics aren't straight beams, just blobs in a chain. I saw that in the other video.
  • Music is different, probably a demo composition by the Namco musicians (Ayako Saso, Shinji Hosoe, et al)
  • I recall the briefing video possibly being changed too.
  • The projectors seem to be out of sync (I'm guessing they had to crunch on finishing it because the beginning of the video shows what seems to be some last minute development), watch closely as the Dragoon departs and enters hyperspace...the right display on camera falls out of sync several times and it's noticeable.

I'm guessing they decided to switch to Laserdisc backgrounds after this, because everything looks polygon board generated like Starblade and they probably wanted something more realistic for the attraction background wise.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:15:28 PM by Zeether »

Toykyle

• We saved GT-6. Now it's time to save GH-16 & GH-28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 04:15:27 AM »
If that's the case, then it seems we have to search even more. Now that we know there was a prototype of the 28 player attraction, add that to the few other versions (1.00, 2.00, 3.01β (probably CD Drama though?), and 3.21).

I don't think it's just "blobs in a chain" though. I could be mistaken and it's just the video quality, but I believe they were using film as background for enemies (very unlikely assumption though).

(Speaking of which, is there someone that is able to translate Scenario Version 3.01β?)