Author Topic: Super Sprint (Atari) LED-mod  (Read 5131 times)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Super Sprint (Atari) LED-mod
« on: March 04, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »
Hi guys.

Those who were at Eurocade last year (and played a round of Super Sprint) might have noticed that finding the (black) start buttons is not an easy task when the environment is dark. The same was here when we had a party last November. Even with all the marquee lights and the gameroom lighting they were hard to find. I wanted to change this.

So I searched a shop offering leafswitch buttons in the necessary colours (red/blue/yellow) and found a german pinballshop (thepinwitch.com).

They look great

but I was a little 'confused' that the blue button had a bright white spot in the middle when lit from behind.

I tried to dye it but everything failed. So I just gave it a try and in the end it's not that worse at all ;)

OK, so I used a Dremel tool (sort of) to make room for the two LED-cables.

The 3mm-LEDs fit perfectly inside the button shaft.

I used a red, blue and yellow LED with a resistor (100 ohms) for each LED.
I removed the black buttons and installed the transparent ones at the right place.
I then cut the red and black wire (they supply the 5V and GND for the optical logic board of the steering wheels) and crimped them together with the 3 wires for the button LEDs.

Mounted the controlpanel to the cab and voilá....no more searching for start buttons in dark rooms  :)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 08:12:38 AM by Luigi »

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Super Sprint (Atari) LED-mod
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
I did another LED-mod. I've installed LED-stripes above the pedals so your foot shines in red, blue or yellow if you play.

I have to take more pics of this mod and - to be honest - they're not finally installed yet  :oops:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 08:25:09 PM »
Looks cool !

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »
hm, I'm a little mad with the forum software. I'd like to place the uploaded pics in my writing between the text. But they're also attached to the end of the thread. When I un-cklick an attached picture it is removed from the text also. Is there any way to keep it inside the text but remoive it from the end without uploading them to somewhere else?

however, here's Part 2 of the LED-Mod: the pedals.

While the button-mod was a kind of improving the handling of the game by making it easier to find the appropriate start button, the pedal-mod is just a visual 'improvement' (depends on the point of view, of course).

I bought some LED-strips at Ebay and cut them to 3 LEDs. I simply used the self-adhesive side to attach them over the pedals and connected them to 12V. Guess what: they fell off after a few days and since the glue was getting more and more dry they didn't stay where I wanted them to be. AND they were too dim, I wanted to shine them brighter. So I cut another strip of 3 LEDs and made some plastic plates. I also made a plexi cover for them. This way they would stick to the wood and the LED-strips are protected.

Hope you like the result  :)

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »
That really looks cool! :)
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »
I'm usually against any non original customisation... but I must admit you did a great job and it looks very very cool!
 :spaceace:

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »
I'm usually against any non original customisation... but I must admit you did a great job and it looks very very cool!
 :spaceace:

I know what you mean and I wouldn't do a mod that couldn't be undone, i.E. drilling holes in visible areas etc. ;)