Author Topic: Nintendo Sky Skipper (Sukai Sukippa) 1982  (Read 6426 times)

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
Nintendo Sky Skipper (Sukai Sukippa) 1982
« on: November 04, 2015, 08:32:52 AM »
SKY SKIPPER (sukai Sukippa)

I've been collecting Nintendo arcade games, toys and anything else they've made over the last 25  years, But for the last 6 years I've concentrated on there early arcade games.
I've owned all the big guns but there has always been one game that has never conjured up so much mystery as Sky skipper (Sukai Sukippa) 1982.
The reason being there is no information on  this game what's so ever.
There is no known cabinet only a picture of a 3 versions of the cabinet on the back of my original flyer and they are photographs NOT artists impressions like I've  seen on some sheriff flyers.
So They did exist at some point but for some reason none survived the crash.
According to KLOV this game was only ever released in japan but then why is there a picture of one in a U.S upright cabinet on  the back of my flyer?
It must have made it to the U.S and someone has dumped the ROMs into mame so there is a pcb out there somewhere.
But I've contacted all the "Big" time collectors who have been collecting way longer than I have and they all said they've never seen a cab or a pcb.
Until I tracked down one on the internet in  Sweden which was not working due to the fact it had been factory modified to play Popeye.
The guy was working on re-engineering  the game but had not worked out how.
The game was offered to me but I was reluctant to purchase it due to the complexity of getting it working With no Schematics.
Then strangely enough a month later I found a unused factory modified in the raid up in the north of england marked Popeye with the markings TNX1
I knew straight away it was a sky skipper because I had been looking at the one in Sweden in detail.
Popeye and sky skipper used completely different hard ware and the pcbs are different shape and size so that also was a give away.
This was a amazing find as it now meant having two pcbs  it would be a lot easier to re-engineer the pcb back to its original form Sky skipper.
So I got my good friend working on the game  straight away and he relished in the challenge and after two months he has finally cracked it.
So I am happy to announce that I now own two working Sky skipper PCBs
and the plan now is to get a project Popeye and convert the  U.S cabinet to a sky skipper with the full art kit Marque,bezel,side art and control panel.
One will stay with me and be taken to events on the road in the UK,and the other will be sold with the full art kit to any U.S collector who is a Nintendo fan.

I will up date with a full video in the coming week

old school

• Read more = post less
    • View Profile
    • Le JR'S
Re: Nintendo Sky Skipper (Sukai Sukippa) 1982
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:59:55 AM »
I love this kind of story

close to "raiders of lost ark"

will look after this post
"Winners Don't Use Drug " but to loop Ghost & Goblins it help !!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:16:59 AM »
Amazing find  :shock: :shock: :shock:
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
Amazing...never heard of this game before....congrats! :)

Just watched a video on Youtube showing the gameplay in mame...what exactly is the goal in this game?

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »
It's a fun game
I will do a video next week explaining  the game play.
But the basic  premise  Of the game is to collect all the cards characters avoiding the kongs as they throw these missiles  at you.
The cards can be collected in sequence of house for extra points.
You have a fuel gauge which goes down but you can re fuel by landing on the air strip.
There is a button for thrust and bomb
I've got to the third lvl so far.
Check it out on mame
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:17:44 PM by Chuckie egg »

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »
This is soo cool! - and what a row youre building!!! :spaceace:
Never trust all the things you read on KLOV, that database really miss details and entire games..

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
One will stay with me and be taken to events on the road in the UK,and the other will be sold with the full art kit to any U.S collector who is a Nintendo fan.

? So European Nintendo fan collectors can't buy it ? Not that I'm interested but....I feel left out ! ;)

Hope to play the game one time in the future....I remember renting and playing the 2600 cart :D

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 07:00:52 AM »
My sky skipper once muddy has done the art work and the cab is complete will go on the road to events
So maybe I could bring it to eurocade next year ?