Author Topic: Operate a full CapKit on Wells-Gardner K4600 19"  (Read 14759 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Operate a full CapKit on Wells-Gardner K4600 19"
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:27:42 PM »
... Following some geometry problems on my Wells-Gardner K4600 19" monitor, that originally came with my DEFENDER cab, I have no choice than to use a brand new CapKit to try to fix that   :?  ...

Ok, so I buy a ' CapKit' on ebay for ... $7.00 ... on ebbaaayy  :lol:  :

The monitor is ready... I don't discharge it because it's probably already done : the monitor hasn't be plugged since more than10 days... but I strongly suggest you to discharge it if you wanna be more careful than me  :roll:  8)

Let's look closer...

The first thing to do is to remove the pcb behind the tube. Very easy because there is no fixation. Just pull it carefully.
There are no capacitors to change on it, but to remove it will give you more facilities to access other boards...

Ok, let's unplug the video interface board :

On this K4600 model, there is only a pot' (VR201)  and a cap' (C201) to change.

Unsolder easy like this :

...an old "tired" cap still on board... ready to be replace by a young & new one   :P  :

... done for this board :

Ok, now take care about the second board, the vertical/horizontal board :

...still no screws to remove, just unplug it like the first board :

...closer...

Warm on the solder side with one hand while your other hand is pulling back the capacitor slowly, in order to remove each leg a little bit more... until complete extraction:

That board is now... completed  :)  :

Now, the last *easy* step  :cry:  Let's take care about the small board, the MV-3 sound / power :

I don't know what is the purpose of that board, but let's also put new cap' here  :roll: :

Ok, a little bit harder now... but not so much in fact... We have to work ton the main board. We must to remove it.

two screws here :

The main board is removed, but there's a metal plate  :evil:  :

...4 screws later...

I suggest you to remove the less wires possible... only the big connectors, in order to avoid errors... It's up to you...

The main board is now... done  :P

The old ones  :o  :lol:  :

Don't make mistakes when you plug all the wires/connectors back  :roll: Do like me, take a lot of snapshots  :roll: Better than human memory  :idea:

CapKit... finished  :P

Now, check out my DEFENDER post to see the result of this monitor CapKit' here : https://www.dragonslairfans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=107

:roll:  :wink:

arcadefever

• View Profile
    • http://www.arcadefever.net
Operate a full CapKit on Wells-Gardner K4600 19"
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 01:33:06 AM »
:shock:  wowwwwwwwwwwww

i never done that  :?

to much work  :lol:  i ust buy new ones ....

that a good thing about monitor in the US, good prices  8)
most of my games have a new monitor...

and to be honest , some of them have such a high burn, recap the board, wouldnt change anything...

well done NUNO  :D

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
Re: Operate a full CapKit on Wells-Gardner K4600 19"
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »
Nine years and 3 months after his initial post, I'd like to thank Bruno for documenting his capkit so well here  ;)

I had always overlooked the black level potentiometer because it was hidden so well on a small board (and not included at all in my capkit).
The result was that even after a good capkit, I ended up with a disapointingly dim picture on my Pac-Man monitor, even after fiddling for a long time with all the "reachable potentiometers" and convergence rings.

Also massive thanks to KID for taking his precious time to help me with the capkit and pointing this particular potentiometer.

Now it's wake-waka-waka time!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:02:16 PM by Q*ris X2 »

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
Actually a pot is not necessarily included in a cap kit ;)

You sure made pictures of the screen before/after replacing the pot? :)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 04:12:55 PM »
I didn't even have to replace it, I just had to turn it a bit after my capkit was done.
It's not visible or reachable in a Pac-Man cab configuration so I totally overlooked that part before seing Bruno's pics.