Author Topic: From Truxton II (to) Pleiads  (Read 136872 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: From Truxton II (to) Pleiads
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2009, 10:04:51 AM »
oh, one more thing: i guess it doesn't matter either which ground connection i choose on the power transformator (4, 5, 6 or 7), right? i only have one ground wire (light grey, linked on the pcb connector on positions A, 1, 2 and 3), but four possibilies on the power transformator (4 through 7).

btw, what to do with one unused +5V, one unused GND pin and the unused -5V pin of the power transformator? just ignore those pins or remove them?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:44:44 AM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2009, 10:59:23 AM »
oh, one more thing: i guees it doesn't matter either which ground connection i choose on the power transformator (4, 5, 6 or 7), right? i only have one ground wire (light grey, linked on the pcb connector on positions A, 1, 2 and 3), but four possibilies on the power transformator (4 through 7).
As you can see on the schematic too, pins 4,5,6&7 are also the same point. So it doesn't matter which you choose.

btw, what to do with one unused +5V, one unused GND pin and the unused -5V pin of the power transformator? just ignore those pins or remove them?
If there is bare wire showing, tape it off with electrical tape so it can't make a short anywhere. If there's no bare wire showing you're fine. :)
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2009, 12:49:34 PM »
i just wanted to "install" the pcb into the cabinet, when i realized that one of the connecting wires on the pcb has gone loose:

i don't know where this wire is supposed to be attached to, there are many possibilities. the chip on the back of the pcb where the wire is coming from is labelled C44. i'm sure that you can find the desired information in the pleiads schematics, but i'm not very good at reading those (to say the least). would anybody be so kind and check this out for me, you can find the manual on klov.com under the pleaids game description.

thx a lot in advance!!!

EDIT: the pleiads pcb is made up of two boards, a cpu board and a rom board. the loose wire is on the cpu board which is labelled "CPU BOARD; TEHKAN-01" in the manual
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:29:51 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2009, 03:23:32 PM »
It may not be mentioned in the manual, as such wires were often fitted afterwards, as a fix.
On your picture, it looks like there are marks around the pin where the wire has been soldered on manually. Can't you see any other such pins on the board?

Anyway, I don't think it will break anything if you don't solder the wire back on, as long as you cover the other end with some tape.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2009, 04:37:54 PM »
what's the use of those wires anyway?

by the way, the wire has also "fallen off" on the other side without touching it. however, i seem to have found both spots where the ends have been attached to, but i'm not 100% sure. what to do now?

- leave out the wire completely
- solder the wire back on (without being sure whether it's the right spot or not)

???
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:46:49 PM by Superully »

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2009, 08:22:40 PM »
If you leave out the wire completely, you will have the board as it was originally designed, as far as I understand.
Nothing bad should happen, as long as you make sure that the end of the wire is covered (no metal exposed).

You need the schematics to really understand what the wire intended to fix/improve/do. If you look at the schematics and check the pins where you think the wire was soldered.. What do you see? What is the function of the pins? Some kind of data? +5v? Ground? Is the function of the two connected pins the same? Maybe these cables were installed by an operator/technician because of broken traces on the board? I have done so myself sometimes. When you test it, you may see that it's not working at all, because the wire is supposed to "bring" for example +5v from one pin to the other, and now it isn't.

If you aren't comfortable with this, I would just recommend you to cover the wire end with some tape and test the board.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2009, 09:20:36 AM »
the wiring is progressing slowly but surely, some more questions have popped up:

first, here are the schematics again:

as you can see, there's a GND wire running from the COU Edge Connector (blue, letter B) towards the Control Panel Connector. However, on its "journey to the Control Panel Connector" it splits up: one wire connects to the Control Panel Connector (blue, number 1), the other one connects to the Coin Door Connector (blue, number 6). What is the function of that second wire running to the Coin Door Connector?

let's continue: coming from the Coin Door Connector is another GND wire (turquoise, number 20) which end in this fork-like connector (crossed out on the schematics). This one has to be connected to the power transformator if i'm correct. Right?

the original pleiads wiring i'm using has a 24 pin amp coin door connector (NOT a molex connector). i'm removing this connector from the cab, because there are some wires attached to it which i'm not planning on using: -5V (number 19), +5V (number 14), coin counter (number 13).

the coin door wiring that's already in the cab looks like this:

as you can see on that picture, there are two wires coming from the microswitches: a purple one which registers the coins and a black one which should be a GND wire.

let me sum this up. there are several wires not connected yet: a ground wire from the transformator running to the coin door connector, a ground wire running from the control panel to the coin door connector, a black wire coming from the microswitches going WHERE???

now on to my questions:

(1) where do i connect the blue wire to which is running from the control panel to the coin door?
(2) where do i connect the turquoise wire to which is coming from the coin door and which ends in the fork-like connector?
(3) where do i connect the black wire to which is coming from the microswitches?

hopefully, someone out there is not as confused as i am and is able to help me out with my wiring problem!!! i'm almost done with it and can't wait to turn the machine on ...

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2009, 09:41:29 AM »

one more wiring question. have a look at the following photo:

attached / screwed to the power transformator (circled red) is a yellow-green GND wire which ends in two connectors (circled blue). where do i have to srew these connectors to? metal parts? if so, is it important which metal parts or as long as it's metal, noone cares?

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »
where do i have to screw these connectors to? metal parts?

Yes, metal and not painted over. They need to make a good electric contact with the metal part.

if so, is it important which metal parts or as long as it's metal, noone cares?

You have to connect them to monitor frame, coin door, control panel and any other metal part that can collect static electricity and needs to be at ground potential. Otherwise the static electricity will discharge through your body when you touch these parts.

Matteo

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2009, 09:11:15 PM »
You have to connect them to monitor frame, coin door, control panel and any other metal part that can collect static electricity and needs to be at ground potential. Otherwise the static electricity will discharge through your body when you touch these parts.

does that hurt?  ;)  :shock:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2009, 09:16:52 PM »

another boring wiring question  :arrow:

i still have to connect the wires coming from the power transformator with the wires coming from the pleiads pcb (by doing so i'm powering the pcb). however, because the pcb is original NOS, but the power transformator is not, the wires are different in size (see the following picture).

the ones on the left are the pcb wires, the ones on the right are the power transformator wires - the latter are twice as thick as the pcb wires.

question: is that difference in diameter of importance (meaning i would have to chance either of them) or can i simply ignore it and connect them?

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:50 PM »

does that hurt?  ;)  :shock:

Haha, a few years ago in a local bar there were 2 pinballs which werent grounded. When you touched only one it was nothing, but touch them both and you got a minor shock. It was funny trying to trick friends into touching them both. ;D
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2009, 12:33:31 PM »
the ones on the left are the pcb wires, the ones on the right are the power transformator wires - the latter are twice as thick as the pcb wires.

question: is that difference in diameter of importance (meaning i would have to chance either of them) or can i simply ignore it and connect them?

Since the wires from your pcb are the smallest you can ignore the diameter difference. The pcb wires are factory standard (I assume?), that means you can connect any wire to it that is equal or bigger in diameter to it. As long as you don't go smaller than the factory wiring you're fine.

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »
(1) where do i connect the blue wire to which is running from the control panel to the coin door?
(2) where do i connect the turquoise wire to which is coming from the coin door and which ends in the fork-like connector?
(3) where do i connect the black wire to which is coming from the microswitches?

1+3)The blue wire in the schematic goes from pcb pin B to control panel 1 and coin door 6. The blue wire is a ground wire, the pcb registers an input when it's connected to ground. So you'll have to connect the pcb pin B to control panel ground (also blue?) and to the coin switch ground (the black wire on the coin switch).

2)I'm not 100% sure on the turquoise wire, can you take a picture of the coin door or anything related to that wire?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
1+3)The blue wire in the schematic goes from pcb pin B to control panel 1 and coin door 6. The blue wire is a ground wire, the pcb registers an input when it's connected to ground. So you'll have to connect the pcb pin B to control panel ground (also blue?) and to the coin switch ground (the black wire on the coin switch).

2)I'm not 100% sure on the turquoise wire, can you take a picture of the coin door or anything related to that wire?

:arrow: so i will connect one blue wire to the control panel connector (which is GND) and the other one with the black wire from the microswitches

:arrow: as for the turquoise wire and the coin door: it is a simple midway coindoor without anything special to it, no electronics, no nothing - just two microswitches screwed under the coin slots. i guess a picture wouldn't help anything.

those fork-like wires have confused me from the beginning. i also have the original power transformator and on this original transformator there wouldn't have been anything to attach those fork-like wires to. but i'm using the power transformator already in the cab, so i somehow have to bring the power from the transformator to the pcb.

here's what i have done (and i really hope this will work)  :arrow:

i have cut off the fork-like wire endings from the following wires:
- +5 V (green on the schematics)
- +12 V (red)
- 0V (light grey)

those are the ones i'm connecting to the power transformator outputs (see the pictures with the thicker wires above)

as for the turquoise (0 V) and orange (-5V) fork-like wire: i don't know their purpose, so i'm planning on simply not using them.

what do you think? have i made any mistakes from what you can see? would you do something differently?