Author Topic: From Truxton II (to) Pleiads  (Read 136140 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: From Truxton II (to) Pleiads
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »
thx, but i already have (almost) all the molex connectors i need. my open questions however remain open  ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2009, 03:43:49 PM »
- WHAT TO DO WITH THOSE DC POWER SUPPLY OUTPUTS???
- WHERE TO CONNECT THEM TO???

these are no molex pins which i can plug into a molex connector  :arrow:

Your wiring was obviously made for a different kind of power supply, like this one :

http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/parts/power_supplies/15A_Switching_Power_Supply_for_Arcade_Game_3517.html

Using the Hantarex US 250 is possible but you will need to cut out those "fork" style ends and put the wires into molex to match the connectors on the Hantarex supply.

Matteo

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »
thx, but i already have (almost) all the molex connectors i need. my open questions however remain open  ;)
you want to know where you have ti wire on the molex connectors ?

do you have pictures of the molex end connectors, like the link I have provided this morning ?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »
Your wiring was obviously made for a different kind of power supply, like this one :

Using the Hantarex US 250 is possible but you will need to cut out those "fork" style ends and put the wires into molex to match the connectors on the Hantarex supply.

hmmm, the problem is:

the complete wiring i am using was taken from a pleiads machine - including the power transformator (which is this rusty block of metal). because i already have a power transformator in my cab (the hantarex 250, which is already wired to the monitor), i decided against using the rusty original one.
however, IF i were to use the original one, i STILL would not know where to connect those dc power suply outputs to, because there is nothing to connect them to on the original transformator (have a look at the pictures).

i'm confused :? do you understand my problem? i don't know where to connect those wires to, with or without molex or fork-style connectors!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2009, 07:34:44 PM »
you want to know where you have ti wire on the molex connectors ?
do you have pictures of the molex end connectors, like the link I have provided this morning ?

these are normal 3, 6, 9 and 12 pin molex connectors, just like the ones from your link. you should see them on all the pictures from the wiring and the power supply that i've posted here.

what i want to know is where those dc power supply outputs go (if i cut off the fork-style connectors). which ones do i need, which molex connectors do they go to?

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2009, 09:20:43 PM »
slowly (but surely) i'm beginning to understand what you're trying to tell me  ;)

here's the cable that's coming out of the hantarex 250 transformer and which is supposed to be the logic board power input. keep in mind, this was used to power a jamma-driven truxton ii-pcb. i have numbered the pins in the second picture to make things easier for you  :arrow:

as you can see, there are molex pins on positions 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 9. let's have a look at the description on the power transformator. i have coloured the used pins according to the colours of the cables and i have crossed out the unused pins  :arrow:

so according to this schematic, we have the following:

(a) pins 1 and 2: 5V
(b) pins 4 and 6: GND
(c) pin 8: 12V
(d) pin 9: -5V
(e) pins 3, 5 and 7: unused (looks like tic-tac-toe  ::))

i was told that i should only use the 5V, the 12V and the GROUND DC Power Supply Outputs coming from the PCB. if that's correct, i would have to leave out one ground output and the -5V output from the coin connector. the schematic would look like that (i have circled / crossed out the DC power supply outputs i need / don't need) :arrow:

putting this together i have the following:

- i have 3 (=three) wires (5V, 12V and GND) coming from the logic board connector
- i have 6 (=six) wires (2 x 5V, 2 x GND, 12V and -5V) coming from the power transformator

this leaves me with some questions:

(1) what do i do with the 3-wire-difference? remove one 5V, one GND and the -5V wire from the power transformator connector? are there three wires more because the power transformator was used to run the truxton ii pcb?
(2) what do i do with the GND and the -5V wire coming from the coin connector?
(3) where would i have connected those fork-style connectors to IF i had used the old rusty power transformator?

i think that's enough for now, sorry to bother you with this, but without the correct wiring no pleaids gaming EVER ...  :'(

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:23:55 PM by Superully »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »
while i'm waiting for all the explanatory answers to pop up here, i'm throwing another set of questions into the mix:

can someone explain to me, what's up with those -5V, +5V and +12V connections in an arcade machine? why those values, what are the different values good for?

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2009, 08:34:43 PM »
I don't know exactly about the -5V but +5V is for the logic (ram, (ep)rom, processor,...) and +12V is for the audio section.

EDIT:
In this case the -5V wire has no use for your pcb since it's connected to the coin door. It's probably used for the meter or lights or something...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:49:27 PM by petieken »
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
putting this together i have the following:

- i have 3 (=three) wires (5V, 12V and GND) coming from the logic board connector
- i have 6 (=six) wires (2 x 5V, 2 x GND, 12V and -5V) coming from the power transformator

this leaves me with some questions:

(1) what do i do with the 3-wire-difference? remove one 5V, one GND and the -5V wire from the power transformator connector? are there three wires more because the power transformator was used to run the truxton ii pcb?
(2) what do i do with the GND and the -5V wire coming from the coin connector?
(3) where would i have connected those fork-style connectors to IF i had used the old rusty power transformator?

i think that's enough for now, sorry to bother you with this, but without the correct wiring no pleaids gaming EVER ...  :'(

Multiple +5V wires are used to have a sufficient supply of current to your pcb. Because if a too thin wire is used it is possible that your pcb can not get enough current, and the wire can get overheated. It is best to solder one wire to pcb connector "K" and the other to "9" according to the schematic provided.
Wanted: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs CPS1 Q-Sound pcb | SegaSonic The Hedgehog Art & instruction set

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2009, 10:16:30 AM »
Multiple +5V wires are used to have a sufficient supply of current to your pcb. Because if a too thin wire is used it is possible that your pcb can not get enough current, and the wire can get overheated. It is best to solder one wire to pcb connector "K" and the other to "9" according to the schematic provided.

the wires are already attached to K and 9 on the pcb connector PLUS there is an additional wire linked with those two on position 8 - just as you can see that in the schematics. so these three wires are somehow linked together, but in the end it's only one +5V wire (the light green one) going to the power transformator. Will that be good enough?

IF that's the case, to which +5V pin (coming from the power transformator) do i connect the light green wire to? remember, there are TWO +5V wires coming from the power transformator, pin 1 AND pin 2. does it even matter?

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2009, 03:36:51 PM »
the wires are already attached to K and 9 on the pcb connector PLUS there is an additional wire linked with those two on position 8 - just as you can see that in the schematics. so these three wires are somehow linked together, but in the end it's only one +5V wire (the light green one) going to the power transformator. Will that be good enough?
If it's already 1 wire it's probably fine :) If you experience problems you can always add another wire later.

IF that's the case, to which +5V pin (coming from the power transformator) do i connect the light green wire to? remember, there are TWO +5V wires coming from the power transformator, pin 1 AND pin 2. does it even matter?
Either will be fine, the +5V connectors are internally linked.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2009, 07:31:16 PM »
Either will be fine, the +5V connectors are internally linked.

why are there two +5V outputs then?

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »
To supply more power to pcb's that need more power :)
It's possible that it is also used to provide power to a game that has multiple boards, so each board has it's own direct supply. That's why they are internally connected, if they wouldn't it could be possible that there are potential differences or others weird problems.

petieken

• Belgium
    • View Profile
    • My VAPS Entry
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
I just looked up the manual of your power supply and found it here:
http://www.andysarcade.de/data/coinop/videogames/power_supplies/us250_us350_manual.pdf

When you look at the part I circled you can see that PIN 1 & 2 are the same point. Which means internally connected.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2009, 10:46:58 PM »
thx a lot, petieken! that should do the trick. i appreciate your efforts and all the input that has come from everyone else so far. i'm sure there will be more questions to follow, but for now i'm satisfied  ;)