Author Topic: From Truxton II (to) Pleiads  (Read 136165 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
From Truxton II (to) Pleiads
« on: February 11, 2009, 03:16:37 PM »

Well then, here we go, operation “pleaids – back to life” is about to begin …

Following this ebay-auction …

... a good friend of mine (named Alex) and myself (named Ully) set off from a little town in Southern Germany to one of the Southernmost cities of our country called Konstanz to bring back the beauty that is

PLEIADS (with Truxton II inside and a horrible control panel)

A roadtrip of almost 300 km (one-way), but who cares?  ;)

To make things worthwhile and to do something for our eduction (even teachers have to educate themselves), we decided to make a small detour of roughly 50 km across the German border and into Switzerland to pay a visit to the widest plain European waterfalls - the Rhinefalls. What a beauty and what a natural wonder, even in winter!

getting some information first:

don't fall into the rhinefalls, alex ...

impressive, aren't they?

enough time "wasted", let's continue with our primary task ...

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:29:30 PM by DarthNuno »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: From Truxton II (to) Pleiads
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »
Having finally arrived at the seller's garage, we were wondering where the pleiads cabinet was ...

found it!!!

let's play a game of TRUXTON II first - as long as it's still in the cab (and of course to see if everything's working properly)

man, will this fit into my car? we'll see ...

DAMN - TOO BIG!!!  :evil:

In order to fit into the car nicely (and to be able to close the back door), we have to "throw out" some stuff (like seats and petrol can)

DONE!!!  :) (have a look at the superfluous items on the ground)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 06:41:02 PM by Superully »
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

vib_ribbon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 04:50:15 PM »
Huh?  ???

:lol:

i guess we have to be patient and just admire the scenery for now!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »

The next day! After carrying the heavy cabinet 60 steps in a narrow, winding stairway upwards (with the bonus of a pinched nerve in my back afterwards), the cabinet now rests comfortably in my workroom, ready to begin the transformation back to its original glory.

Let's take a closer look ... the t-molding is either missing or has been replaced by non-original new one. Also missing is the glass bezel (which I hopefully will get from Bruno). The artwork on the sides is in great condition (besides some sticker residue and screws drilled through the artwork)

The front art is missing, but Bruno kindly offered me to take a picture of his pleiads front art, so that I can have a reproduction done at a later time. There are A LOT OF screws and nails inside that cab (like in the coin door for example) that originally didn't belong there - they will have to go  :spaceace:

The horrible control panel. This will also be a "goner" and be replaced by an original one (already on its way from the States)

Some damages to the cabinet wood itself, but nothing that I won't (be able to) fix ...

And finally, let's have a sneak peek inside. Looks tidy and clean, but TRUXTON II has to go eventually!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »
YYYYYYYYESSS !!!! You got it Superully :o :)

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

This is a rare cabinet! Except mine, I've never seen pictures of this Spanish cabinet version of the game anywhere :shock: :)  Congratulation :)

OK, there is a lot of work to do, but nothing impossible... Of course, I'll help you on this project!

I'm gonna publish the pictures you're looking for soon  ;)

Thanks for the road trip pictures  :-*

PPPPPLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Rulez !!!  :)

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 06:17:40 PM »
Best of luck & fun on your Pleiads Project!!! :D

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
*** Emergency Room mode ON ***

Nurse: "Doctor, let's start the operation, will we?"
Doctor: "There seems to be some kind of "cancer" growing on the cab which wasn't part of the original condition."
Nurse: "What shall we do with it?"
Doctor: "CUT IT OUT, OF COURSE!!!"

Doctor: "The operation was a success, the tumor has been completely removed!"

*** Emergency Room mode OFF ***

Speaking of removal, I've also removed all the screws, nails and bolts which were put into the cabinet unnecessarily and for modification purposes only. Damn, that's a lot of metal!!!

I was then able to remove the damaged front. Unfortunately, because of all those screws, nails and bolts, a part of the wood has broken off - but some glue will do the trick!

Here are all the "metal-damaged" parts from the cabinet's front lined up. I will replace all of them!

To do so, a visit to the home depot is required:

Mission accomplished!!!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 06:23:38 PM by Superully »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
thx a lot for the headline on your homepage, bruno. the picture collage looks great!!!

Zeether

• Roger, out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »
Better keep that Truxton II PCB...great game and quite rare  ;)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 07:32:54 PM »
Woow Superully ... Great cab and beautiful place for a roadtrip (I love those waterfalls  :-* :-*)

this is another great project to be followed carefully  :spaceace: :spaceace:

PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »

bruno, could you please check whether there is a bezel (plastic or cardboard) behind your glass bezel around the monitor and IF SO, take pictures of it? My cab came WITHOUT a bezel - and when you take a look at the following pictures there seems to be something missing! thx in advance.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 08:44:04 PM »
There is a black plastic bezel on the monitor. It's a standard one, like you can find for any 19" monitor. And, of course you've got the glass bezel, that includes the bezel artwork. You're VERY lucky that I own a *spare* one by the way... and it'll be for you of course  ;) :-*  :arrow:

But not in perfect shape as you can see...

It's an 'artwork back printed' bezel  :arrow:

Here's an old picture, without the glass & plastic bezel  :arrow:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 08:51:18 PM »
great bruno, thx a lot. don't worry about the glass damages to the glass bezel. i've found a way to repair cracks like that  :) watch this space ...

as for the plastic monitor bezel: any idea where i can get one over here in europe?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »
Here's a shop in France : Starcab.net.
But it's a common item, I'm sure you can find one in Germany without any problem.

Dazza

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 12:14:55 PM »
Cool roadtrip! I shall watch the restoration with interest  ;D