Author Topic: Started with my DK 3 project today  (Read 4302 times)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
Started with my DK 3 project today
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:26:03 PM »
Some of you may know that I got myself a Nintendo cabinet lately. I really want to make a nice Donkey Kong 3 machine so today I was trying to apply some vinyl samples to the little parts of the cab. I must say that I am pretty happy, not only with the result but also with the time that was saved by this.

The material seems to be good. You can see tiny bubbles on the black wood but those are gone now since you can simply wipe them away. I will practice on some other parts of the cab before putting the red vinyl on the sides... but for Nintendo-cabs this really seems the way to go since they are so flat and smooth. Impossible to achive this with paint... at least for me. And it would take ages.

Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Started with my DK 3 project today
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 11:39:19 PM »
Hah, funny, seeing my recent experiences with the Q*bert painting I am now convinced that it's impossible to get a result without "bumps" with rolling paint.
I'm still happy with the result, but I think the totally smooth look of a Nintendo cab really would be hurt by it.....and so it seems that the red paint that has been waiting for years now is not going to be used for my MB/DK conversion......

I know Rich from TOG used to sell a "DK red vinyl" which was Oracal 631, but I need to know the correct red color, I'll drop him a message.

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:07:43 AM »

I know Rich from TOG used to sell a "DK red vinyl" which was Oracal 631, but I need to know the correct red color, I'll drop him a message.

let me know if we can get the 100% correct color. this one looks very good indeed and i am sure nobody would notice but it would be cool to have a 100% match.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:22:39 AM »
Got my first of two control panels yesterday. Condition is pretty good but stick and buttons are pretty much done.
Chucky Egg was so kind to give me one of his CPs as well. I will wait and see if I can put those two together for the project.

Vinyl is the way to go for the Nintendo-cabs and I am pretty sure that I will stay with the same material that I had samples of.

Next: Kickplate and the sides.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »
Very interresting topc! Also had to idea to use vinyl ok DK cab, but never tried it... Can't wait to see the final result with my own eyes! :)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:15:31 AM »
Very interresting topc! Also had to idea to use vinyl ok DK cab, but never tried it... Can't wait to see the final result with my own eyes! :)

canĀ“t wait to see you in Trier again. :)

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 07:42:18 PM »
This is a totally underrated game and I am so pleased my dk3 cpo will be used for another Donkey kong 3
This has some of the best art work out of all the nintendo games.
Looking forward to the finish project.

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 07:57:47 PM »
This is a totally underrated game and I am so pleased my dk3 cpo will be used for another Donkey kong 3
This has some of the best art work out of all the nintendo games.
Looking forward to the finish project.

i am so happy that you help me with this! hope that the mario bros. stuff will be at your doorstep soon.