Author Topic: DEBATE : original boards vs re edition boards vs boot vs emu vs nothing?!  (Read 20681 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
I would prefer to read comments about mame (negative or not) in a specific topic (this one for example) and NOT in each topic...when Mame is used. Thanks  :-* 

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Hahaha, this Mame VS original pcb discussion will never end....
It would be cool to see a cab with mame and one with the original board next to each other, without knowing what's inside and do some tests, I wonder what the outcome will be. Again, the qbert looks great!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:45:43 PM by gyruss »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Hahaha, this Mame VS original pcb discussion will never end....
It would be cool to see a cab with mame and one with the original board next to each other, without knowing what's inside and do some tests, I wonder what the outcome will be. Again, the qbert looks great!

It depends on the game used. Some games I can pick out right away (f.i. Galaxian). Some will be harder, and some VERY hard.
But it would be fun to try that :)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
...and some maybe just impossible to discover  ;)

Yes, it would be fun to try  ;) An idea for our next meeting maybe? ;)

PS : I've moved these couple of last comments, that better fit this topic  8)

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
I have ordered a j-pac and an arcadevga video card so I will give mame a try soon in my generic cab / red tent.
Fun to read this discussion, both sides make good points and speak with lot's of passion.  ;D
As of now I think mame is a great solution for a lot of problems and has the advantage of many games on a single cab. But the original pcb inside is just more authentic, which I like. Mind you, I don't have a lot of games and have been quite lucky with pcb's.   :)

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
I'm a big fan of MAME. Even of MAME with an LCD screen.
With the old plastic games, it really is about experiencing the whole package. Nice shaped plastic case, VFD screen, bleep sounds. And they are so well made, they often look and play like brand new.
With arcade titles though, the game stands more on its own. The game is a design challenge in a specific resolution, with x-number colour palette all dictated by the computing power available at that time. Screens and construction options were not important! Using chipboard for a cab is nothing but a low-cost solution. I think, only a few cabs really are a combination of cab-design AND game design like you see with the electronic games. Most stuff is just a basic case with stickers and silk print. So that makes me return to the game. The game, nothing more, is what's worth in my opinion. And sure, you must have good tools to play it (right controls, enough computer power for accurate emulation). I like to see Donkey Kong on a wide gamut TFT with better colours than ever, with a good speaker set to play the great samples even better. It's the game, and nothing more, in the best way possible presented today!

But I visited Bruno, and I truly admire his collection. But I think the quality in the collection is the experience of a whole arcade room. Bruno creates a game hall that teleports you back into the 80-ies. That is true awesomeness! But having a single cab..... It's just a stinking rotting piece of crap most of the time. These things are not made for surviving 30 years after being taken out of a smoky pub. If you like games and you are short on space, MAME is the best option to enjoy those games. To experience the past of an arcade hall, visit one of the great collectors here now and then :). Bruno, when do you start your retro-arcade-restaurant?

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: New US developed Multi-Board available
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
Following this post : New US developed Multi-Board available

The main drawback of those multiboards is that you have no control over them (you cannot use the emulator you prefer, nor the correct modelines... you cannot have perfect emulation) and the gamelist is usually reduced... i would go for a 15KHz-forced PC with an interface like JammASD instead ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:52:06 PM by DarthNuno »
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: New US developed Multi-Board available
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
The main drawback of those multiboards is that you have no control over them (you cannot use the emulator you prefer, nor the correct modelines... you cannot have perfect emulation) and the gamelist is usually reduced... i would go for a 15KHz-forced PC with an interface like JammASD instead ;)

To start:

you cannot have perfect emulation
Well, emulation is NEVER perfect. Whichever way you turn it, it's emulation.

This board is build for ease of use. I don't want to have to set-up MAME and menu systems for hours, I want to throw in a card that's running right away (or as quick as possible). What you buy is ease of use. No separate input interfaces necessary (that ALSO need to be configured in software),no 15 kHz graphics card or software needed etc. etc.

It's just aimed at a completely different market. And it is always good to have various options.

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
There's no dedicated topic so i'll just post it over here but it seems like there's going to be another run of the J-rock multi williams pcb's.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=61572&page=44

I'll get one for sure.

jcp

• View Profile
Re: DEBATE : original boards vs re edition boards vs boot vs emu vs nothing?!
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
An interesting topic thread : If "repro" isn't an issue for you, then you should have no issue with MAME, right?.

gyruss, I've got one too :

ArcadeAddict77

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 12:23:44 AM »
I think retro/classic arcades are a bit like the tobacco industry. To survive we must hook the next generation, by any means possible.

So if someone has an original working board / cabinet of a game great, if they have a XX in 1 in a generic cabinet great, if they have MAME on a computer great. What's important is that we make sure the younger members of our families know there was something before Sonic and Mario.

Jeremy.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »

jcp

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »
AndrĂ© : of course, it's just a matter to post a picture to gyruss's message  :).