Author Topic: Galaxian Cocktail >-TV via Scart - Ground issues? Please help.  (Read 2067 times)

lesoleil70

• Wales, Cymru Am Byth
    • View Profile
Galaxian Cocktail >-TV via Scart - Ground issues? Please help.
« on: December 28, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
I'm doing the RGB, Sync & GND to Scart method of replacing a crapped out monitor in a Galaxian Cocktail that is playing blind with a bootleg board, but has the Midway Roms & pinout(not clone pinout).

Before I went about setting the TV in the machine I've hooked up the cocktail and TV to run independently with the scart lead to TV coming out of the machine, TV on the floor to the side, power to TV and machine from separate plugs, all that links them is SCART.

I was getting a lot of bleed on one TV, and the other scrolled violently, RGB were fine.  I have done this solution a few times so this was a surprise.

I used the same 5 wires that went in to the monitor that had died (R G B Sync & GND).   It was clear from the pinout which were R G B Sync, however I was surprised to see a GND from a different pin from the edge connector.

What I mean is this, can you open this link please, Midway Pin out (not clone).   http://www.arcade-museum.com/pinouts-game/7885.html

R G B Sync are all correct to original monitor cable, however the GND on the monitor loom was from pin 22.   I would have expected this to be "S" which states video GND.

However S is soldered to another ground that is on the same loom as the player controls, and it looks like a bad hack job.

Since I'm getting a lot of bleed and scroll, and noise/interference on screen that looks like it's linked to the gameplay activity.  I'm pretty sure whoever had this machine before me messed up the grounds, and this could also be the cause of the bad monitor I have now removed.

I'm pretty sure the grounds are messed up, but before I do go changing things, I'm wondering if Ground is just Ground, and it's not important.   Can someone assist here?

All other suggestions welcomed.   

FYI for the last 2 weeks I had these RGB Sync and GND hooked up to one of the CGA>VGA cards and was playing from a LCD fine, but I could not live with a LCD in there.  I did not notice this interference with this set up on screen, only when I changed these 5 wires to the SCART solution..

I have also tested the SCART lead on another machine and it works.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help.