Author Topic: # Road Trip # KASCO - THE DRIVER - ...it's a game with a red car, movie style...  (Read 89537 times)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Amazing work guys!!!  :spaceace:

Holy sh]t....I think making a videogame has never been that dangerous after filming those scenes  :shock:

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
I had never ever even heard about this incredible machine! What is the working principle? Is somehow like laser games where you give the right input at the right time, or something different?

Anyhow, Bruno, you have the peculiant ability to give to your roadtrips/findings something more, a different touch... not sure what it is, but keep this "thing" up!
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
What a F***ing fantastic game is it?!

:spaceace: :spaceace:  :spaceace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLRKkzcWIpU

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
What a F***ing fantastic game is it?!

:spaceace: :spaceace:  :spaceace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLRKkzcWIpU

Mmm, the car and the action on that video are a whole lot more exiting than Bruno's reels....

@Luigi: professional stunt team :)

kos71

• View Profile
 :spaceace: you rocks  :spaceace:

thanks for the saving of this game you made it .

you made my day nuno

lesoleil70

• Wales, Cymru Am Byth
    • View Profile
man I can't tell you in words, how it was for me seeing this again.

:spaceace:

lesoleil70

• Wales, Cymru Am Byth
    • View Profile
Where you the uk guy that called to the arcade outsiders on the voicemail about it long time ago ?

Yes - it was me  :D

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
awesome

lesoleil70

• Wales, Cymru Am Byth
    • View Profile

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Ah yes EP11, i was not far off  :D

here is some info in the Arcade outsiders thread over at KLOV

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=284990&page=32

lesoleil70

• Wales, Cymru Am Byth
    • View Profile
page 125 for me...maybe it's a settings thing.

07/11

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=284990&page=125

Thanks I hadn't seen that...did they discuss it the week after as per John's post or not?

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Nope, they forget instantly i guess ;D

about the page, you're right, i use the max posts per page (40)
you can find that in your options  ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:28:34 PM by Etienne MacGyver »

keri

• View Profile
well done Bruno !!
do you have more informations about the digitize process ? how long does it take ? is it able to scan the reel at play speed ?
Amazing how the whole stunt action looks "real". I could almost think not all the car were driven by stuntmen...

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Glad to see you all seems to appreciate such stuff, it's cool  :)

Now the interesting stuff.......the model 9 according to Wikipedia was only introduced in ..........1981....so....if that really IS a Renault 9 then that film was shot quite a bit after the game was made :) (and maybe Renault sponsored it ? ;))

Yes, and it was also a surprise for me when I saw the footage for the very first time! I expected to follow a corvette or some 'red sport car' ?
What a surprise to see ...french cars on *I guess* french roads...  ;D

Before seeing back this cabinet, I often wondered how the game was doing the link between the displayed video and the controls to perform 'on the right time'?
Especially when you know this  :arrow:
A game is about 90 sec long, no matter you play well or not. After a game over, the projector doesn't rewind the wheel (and it's just technically impossible because this film reel does an 'infinite loop'). It means that a game never start at the same 'frame', so how the hell the game handles the player controls, in order to make something 'coherent' with what happens on the screen, huh?
For a laser disk game such Dragon's Lair, it's quite easy because there is a program on a PCB who can establish the right action to do, on the right time, during the right frames...but in it this 'EM' game running a projector without any 'frames control?  how ? how? how the hell how?

And the answer came, yes, after seeing this video footage.   8) The bottom of the picture shows 'in white' the 'OK area' where the player's driving wheel position can be positioned. If the racing wheel is positioned somewhere in the 'black area', you fail...

While knowing this, it was probably quite easy to create many different movies, because there's no change to do except to replace the film reel which includes the 'ok/not wheel position'  :)
Kasco probably released few movies per regional locations? Obviously at last one for France because we can now refer to this first film reel digitized!  :)
It's funny because we could also create our own footage... like driving inside our own town... ;D

Now remember I own THREE movies :

The first one was NOS/boxed and you can see it on youtube
The second one was NOS/boxed and you'll see it on youtube very soon!  ;)
The third one is the one located inside the cabinet

...we will see what kind of locations/cars used for the two others movies  ;)

Oh... all I'm saying here is just by deduction/analysis of the informations I own at this precise moment, because the game is currently non-working...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:47:20 PM by DarthNuno »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
do you have more informations about the digitize process ? how long does it take ? is it able to scan the reel at play speed ?

Yeah, that would be very interesting to know that! Maybe Gyruss can explains the process?  ;)

Amazing how the whole stunt action looks "real". I could almost think not all the car were driven by stuntmen...

Yeah I agree... it looks so 'real'!  ;D
Oh, I'm also wondering how they film this? I mean Kasco (Japanese company) commissioned some guys/movie company in France to shoot this? I would be curious to know who and how they did this? Do they used stunt men? Do they worked with the police because it happened on public roads? Do they closed the roads? What was the 'request for proposal' submitted by Kasco? Any story board? :P All these details...  :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:48:13 PM by DarthNuno »