Author Topic: * Funny Arcade Pictures (and videos) *  (Read 149813 times)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: * Funny Arcade Pictures (and videos) *
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2013, 07:00:43 PM »
What a beauty! ;D

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »

Sonic 1992

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • I Wanna Go Back !
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »
Hey Bruno, You remember going here for BIG Drinks?   ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
Sure my friend! Great memories!!!  :-*

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
Nice digital art from Tony and Emmanuelle Lugand

Nic-fryer

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »
;D

For the young guys amongst us who don't know the urban legend about the Atari ET game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial_(video_game)

Just finished reading the great book "Atari business is fun" and there the story is at least corrected a bit, but more important, the failure of the game was all to blame to some stupid business suit who agreed to pay an insane amount of money for the license and then "phoned home" to tell them to make the game in six weeks......

It also was NOT the "biggest commercial failure in the history of video gaming", in fact they sold millions of he game (OK, on the name only probably, and wether people actually like it or not is doubtful)  but there were and are many much larger failures in the history of video gaming.

I still think the game sucks, but you can't blame the programmer, after all he also created the best Atari 2600 game......Yar's Revenge.

I was looking at this and found this article, they are digging it up!!

A documentary crew has received approval to dig up the New Mexico desert site where Atari supposedly buried millions of unsold pieces of Atari 2600 software and hardware. The crew hopes to finally confirm or refute one of gaming's most enduring urban legends.

The city council in Alamogordo, New Mexico granted approval for the project this week. Ottawa-based multimedia and marketing firm Fuel Industries will excavate the site some time in the next six months for a documentary it's filming, local news site KRQE reports. This year marks what will be the 30 year anniversary of the assumed September 1983 burial, which came during the height of the great video game crash. That sudden market reversal supposedly left Atari with millions of unsold and unsalable cartridges and systems, which were dumped in an Alamogordo landfill and later covered in concrete.

While at least one Atari employee has cast doubts on the plausibility of the story, the burial was reported in contemporaneous reports in the Alamogordo Daily News and The New York Times. The former paper got confirmation from the garbage disposal company that was used, and the latter got confirmation from an Atari spokesperson. So it's pretty unlikely the production company is walking into an Al Capone's vault-type situation.

Still, there are questions that remain unanswered. While the 3.5 million unsold copies of E.T. are most commonly cited as the likely bulk of the burial, reports suggest the dump may also contain unsold consoles, PCs, and even prototypes of the Atari Mindlink controller. There's significant disagreement as to how much material was dumped in the landfill, with reports ranging from nine to 20 full dump trucks.

Personally, we're hoping Fuel Industries decides to chip away portions of the massive dumping and sell them off to collectors, Berlin Wall-style. After all, who wouldn't love to own a piece of gaming history that can also serve as a paperweight?

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/film-crew-to-dig-up-atari-landfill-site-maybe-score-3-5-million-copies-of-e-t/

Just another thing I found (I don't know if it has been posted before): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rt_3_bQVJU skip to about 1:50
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:20:17 PM by Nic-fryer »
- BLANK -

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2013, 09:24:34 AM »
Urban Legend...... "even prototypes of the Atari Mindlink controller. "............

I heard.... from a very unreliable source known as NB, that not only the ET cartridges are buried under the concrete but also ET..... The real one... :shock:... He never left!! Supposedly he was killed by a freak flash of lightning somewhere in New Mexico (you know where all the weird stuff happens) while trying to "phone home".

Fearing that earth would be named as part of the axes of evil by the ET home planet administration and knowing the power of the oil & weapons lobby on the ET home world, retaliation against our planet would be just a matter of time. The CIA supposedly ask this NB character to destroy all prove that ET was still walking the earth. These ET folk their 8 bit digital brain are thought to be unable to see the difference between the  game, the movie screenplay and the real world,  :shock:

So CIA gave death ET to this NB, NB filled the truck with all the cartridges and death ET.... telling the contractor it was just a stage prop from the marketing department  :shock:

After that was done they just had to declare that the game really sucked and that in fact all games, game systems and arcades really suck. ...... The rest is history, people bought it,  everybody stopped playing for 10 years, the ET home world just forgot about our small blue planet and now it is up to us to uncover the truth  :evil:

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2013, 06:15:23 AM »

Nic-fryer

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »

It's ironic how each of those pixels has about 50,000 pixels in them. Lol
- BLANK -

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
Great one....bit sad they show Breakout and call it Arkanoid though....it's a thing of generations I guess...

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »
Great one....bit sad they show Breakout and call it Arkanoid though....it's a thing of generations I guess...
Exactly what I thought.
They wanted to be all cool and "we know about retro" and totally got discredited by one reference.
Still funny anyway.

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »

hehe

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 29, 2013, 09:17:39 AM »
Somewhere in my city  ;D