Author Topic: :: GYRUSS :: Destination Earth ( * workshop * )  (Read 45902 times)

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
Re: :: GYRUSS :: Destination Earth ( * workshop * )
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 09:49:43 PM »
People are throwing away CRT TVs as if they were rubbish nowadays, so I have also picked up a couple.
But still, I would rather want to be able to buy one type, and pay for it. Why? First of all, you never know how many boards the TV contains, and second, you don't know how it functions. Geometry menus, does it turn itself on directly without standby etc..

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 12:06:10 AM »
@bruno: what kind of tv is that exactly that you're using? i might have a look around over here in germany ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 07:54:42 AM »
I still see 51 cm TV's for sale at mail-order shops like www.Wehkamp.nl and www.Otto.nl but I don't like the price.
For that price, I would only buy new open frame monitors.

I've done the TV solution twice now and I'm not 100% satisfied with it. On my Galaxian, I've got some sync problem. It's "jittery" at the righ (=top) side of the screen. Strange, as this one worked fine on the Centipede before. The Centi now has it's original CRT back in place with a "new" working G07 chassis that I picked up for free in Germany ! :)

What I really would want is to order a freaking pallet of 19" monitors. Nothing to beat a brand new CRT. However, even HAPP in the US doesn't carry them anymore (only 13"). I think the days are counting out for the CRT....

I think the TV solution is a great option, but I'd go only for more modern TV's now that have an electronic set-up menu so you can adjust everything (like the TV's Bruno used). Some older TV's simply don't have the controls to adjust everything needed.

There is also another way: You can get replacement chassis for a good working CRT for little money these days. Check out http://www.grebo.eu/arcadegames/shop/index_eur.htm

They start at only 34 euro. Seller told me he said some people see geometry problems with that one. If you're anal, you should get the bit more expensive one of 55 euro (HQ).

So, if we could order a bulk order of real CRT monitors, would anyone be interested in a couple ?

subzero1970

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Steves Scale Arcade Models
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 10:30:46 AM »
What a stupidly big bezel ::), if the company that made the cab had sense they would have put in a bigger telly or made the cab smaller, but still....amazing work as always bruno!!!  ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 06:29:55 PM »
@bruno: what kind of tv is that exactly that you're using? i might have a look around over here in germany ...

Well, the 'best buy' new TV for me are :

- BlueSky BL5126TX :

(see for example the Space Ace resto)

- Manhattan T5106 MAV :

(see for example the Rolling Thunder resto)

- ALTUS 20 BMT :

(see for example the Red Nintendo/DK resto)

Good picture quality, geometry setting via technician code, 60hz NTSC via scart for a perfect 'ARCADE' RGB picture  :-*

Price paid : between 109€ ~ 140€ per TV.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 06:31:57 PM »
thx bruno! those infos are worth a lot  :spaceace:
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Spyridon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 04:30:25 PM »
Excellent work on the bezel! 

I will be restoring a Gyruss later this Summer.  This has been good inspiration.  I just need to find somewhere to print out the bezel like you did.  Also, mine needs a reapaint on the outside so I'll be using stencils to paint.

By the way, the button layout was correct on the original panel.  Player two gets a white button.  P1 and fire are red.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 06:43:09 AM »

By the way, the button layout was correct on the original panel.  Player two gets a white button.  P1 and fire are red.
Yes, someone else point me that on Klov forum. I'll have to swap two buttons  :P

I just need to find somewhere to print out the bezel like you did.

I still have one of the two printed  ;)  :arrow:

;)

Spyridon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »

I still have one of the two printed  ;)  :arrow:

;)

I was about to ask if you would be interested in shipping it to the US, but I think I've found someone over here that can print this on adhesive vinyl.  Cost will be about $24 including shipping.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 06:11:49 PM »
@bruno: it's great that you have a spare item of EVERYTHING  ;D i'd take your spare Galaxian 3 theater then  :shock:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:08:51 PM by Superully »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »
@bruno: it's great that you have a spare item of EVERYTHING  ;D i'd take your spare Galaxian 3 theater then  :shock:

LOL... I've *almost* got a second Galaxian Theater  ;D  True!!! See this topic  :P

Don't tell me I'm crazy please  ::) ;D