Author Topic: Finny's Museum... includes Dragon's Lair serial #1 !!!!  (Read 21594 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Finny's Museum... includes Dragon's Lair serial #1 !!!!
« on: September 20, 2005, 08:34:30 PM »
TTThhhhhaaaaaannnnkkksssss Jason  :P  :wink:

Thanks for sharing pictures of your impressive Dragon's Lair Room / Museum... and the mythic Dragon's Lair s/n #1 !!!!

Please, invite me to see all your collection with my own eyes in my next UK trip  :roll:  :wink:  :roll:  :wink:

Happy to see that such piece of history ( DL sn#1 ) is in UK, close to me ( I'm from Belgium )  :D  :twisted:

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 02:28:11 AM »
Wow! When I die, the hell with heaven, I want to go there.

I am also an animation cel collector. From those pictures, it looks like he has an extensive cel collection.

Jason, if you have any more pictures, please share! :)

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
    • http://www.jasonfinn.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 10:04:58 AM »
Hey Guys thanks, I will post a bunch of Pictures to Bruno of my SA and DL II collection in the next couple of months, For brian I also have office in "Finny's lair" full of Original Backgrounds too, some of my Original back grounds from DLII are 6 feet long,  there is tons of stuff for all DL collectors to enjoy, I find a lot of pleasure other collectors enjoying it too. :roll:
"Aim for the Moon! if you fall short your be with the Stars"

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 08:33:39 PM »
Oh My GoD... I can't believe the latestest pictures you sent me :shock: . It's like a dream... You show me the way   :)
Entering into the Jason's Lair should be like the first man entering into the Tuthankamon pyramid... open eyes...  :shock:  cannot believe that  a such tresor exists  :shock: ... it's not a dream  :o

Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 01:32:59 AM »
Hey Bruno, It's no problem at all, I think you are doing a great job in keeping DL alive with this site, I will be posting my SA collection very soon, watch this space.

-jason :shock:   :D

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 02:13:24 AM »
How much do I have to bribe you to get included in your will? Or better yet, you want to adopt me? :) Those pictures are amazing. I don't think even Don has as much of his work as you do.

I love animation art. To me, it is just knowing that there is not another piece exactly like the one I have.

It is kind of neat to watch a movie/game and know that I own part of that scene that just past.

I have to admit I tend to get envious of people who own great cels and you should be proud since it is the best collection I have ever seen.

I vote that your museum be added to the 7 wonders of the world and to be bumped up to #1.

SPACE HARRIER

• View Profile
    • http://gunners-club.1up.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 09:09:21 PM »
damn,a very nice collection!!!
It's good that DRAGON'S LAIR is still alive after almost 20 years!! :D  :D

And Bruno,thank you very much for keeping DL and SA alive and kicking..I enjoy comming back from time to time to see the latest post from all arround the world!! :P

THANKS  :wink:
IED 777 times,but i'm still alive!

Orrimarrko

• Al modeled for Dirk the Daring...
    • View Profile
Re: Finny's Museum... includes Dragon's Lair serial #1 !!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »
I know this is an old thread, sorry to bump it up.

Is there a thread or story somewhere about how/where Finny acquired all of these cabinets?

Not knowing Jason, I just have to ask those questions - how did you acquire all of these wonderful things?
I came here to do two things, play some games and drink some beer.  Looks like I'm out of beer...

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:30:05 PM »
Hi Orrimarrko

Well where do I start, I was a huge fan of Dragon's lair back in the Day 1984 "Atari release year" I use to spend all my pocket money on this version at my Local Ice Rink where my Mother use to take my Sister Ice Skating, cut a long story short I went to the Ice rink every week for Months and Months until one day I turned up and the Dragons Lair machine was "Gone" for good, I was devastated, and vowed to one day own my own, the internet made it possible for me to make my dream and much more come true.

I firstly got a DL2 while looking for a Dragons lair machine, DL2 is my favorite game, although I never played DL2 back in 1991 (Release date) and then up came a Cinematronics Dragons lair, this was great even though I only played the Atari version back in the day, so my quest begun, I wanted to aquire every version there was, as I got more cabinets, I became better know in the community, and then I started having people come to me which was great, there was two cabinets I thought I would never be able to aquire was the Australian LAI version, even though I knew about these cabinets before the cummunity did, I didnt want to make it known until I got a hold of one, there was two LAI Dragons Lair cabinets that I knew to exsist, one fell through because the guy loved it so much and wanted to keep it, and then my interest and mouth made the guy (Great Guy) mention and introduce it to the DLP Cummunity, now other collectors might be interested and it would be harder to aquire one, anyway the second cabinet I knew about was going to be mine, I didnt care how much I had to pay, anyway long story short is I eventually purchased it and had it sent to a guy/friend who was holding my LAI Dragons Lair 2, I didnt want to ship the two cabinets back until I found a LAI Space Ace, I never had any leads and never knew of anyone that owned one and wasnt 100% sure that one exsisted even though the flyer mention SA, and out of the blue Dexter from this site showed me a link on Australian Ebay to a LAI SPace Ace, cut short the cabinet was taken off-line and in the deal I he had a set of NOS DRagons Lair LAI sideart WOW! I couldnt belive it, and the cabinets was the cheapest one I have purchased, I would have paid 10 times what I paid. Thanks for the Link Dexter I still owe you Buddy, my prize cabinets are my Dragons Lair serial Number1 Owned by Don Bluth which has a prototype Control panel and sideart, and also my Atari Dragons lair that I played on back in the day(Mint Condition) oh and my Cinematronics Space Ace that was from the private collection of Don Bluth/Gary Goldman.

And the story went on, the Artwork owes the most £££, Invites to Don Bluths etc etc, the journey even though been stressful and hard work has been worth it,the entire collection has exceeded £120,000.00 and even though it has skint me at times its been worth while.

Any questions dont hesitate to ask

-Finny

Orrimarrko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 08:08:14 AM »
Hey Finny,

Wow, what can I say?  £120,000.00?!?!  Not sure what your job is, but I'll take it! ;)

Anyway, I really appreciate you sharing all of the info.

Like many others, my all-time favorite game is Dragon's Lair.  My story is similar to yours in that as a younger kid (I'm almost 38 now), I played it EVERY chance I got.  I always told myself that I would own one some day.

Unfortunately, that day has yet to arrive.  I only want an original dedicated cabinet, not a cabinet with a computer inside.  Works for some, just not me.  So, I'm still looking, and at this point, honestly, I'm losing hope.  Whenever I see one for sale, it always looks like crap (I'm picky about condition), and I have no idea if the electronics are correct, etc. (I'm technically challenged, I think.)  So, finding one (even restored) in outstanding condition, with everything working as it should, with a nice laserdisc player, etc - such a challenge.

When I saw the pics of your collection, I thought to myself - HOLY CRAP!  Where did he get all of those?  Truly incredible.

Do you have any advice for someone looking for an original, quality dedicated machine?  I ask because clearly you've had some experience in this area. ;)

Also, had two questions about the special Space Ace cabinet - is the cabinet the same as the Dragon's Lair 2 cabinet?  Also, were they released with all of the art on them to the general public/operators, or was it a special limited order?

Thanks again - I truly appreciate it.

Steve
I came here to do two things, play some games and drink some beer.  Looks like I'm out of beer...

FINNY(uk)

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 09:45:28 AM »
Hi Steve,

Yes I have been lucky with my Job, I am a World Champion Stunt Rider/Motorcyclist,  www.jasonfinn.com its allowed me to obtain such things like my collection, I definatly dont take it for granted, Iv paid the price with Broken bones injuries etc....so yes you can take it lol.

It no problem sharing a small part of the info, I didnt want to bore you all with a massive post.

Dragons Lair has stayed with me since the day I played it in 1984....yes I will be 40 in a couple of weeks, damn I cannot believe it!!!

The day will arrive for you my friend, if you want it that bad your get it!!! Yes Dragons Lair can only be played one way, and thats the original way, 80% of collectors restore their cabinets, so maybe you should just buy a working one and do that, you can take off the vinyl, and fill holes and make good, re-vinyl, new repro licenced sideart, the Marquees are normally good, and a repro Control Panel and I forgot T-Moulding and you have a game that looks like new, everyone that does this is more declined to selling it in the future because they become more attached to it as it is more personal for all their hard work, the cost is small, for Vinyl, CP, Sideart, t-moulding, maybe $200 and just your time, look at Brunos resoration of a Space Ace cabinet that was good for the dump, he made it look like a NOS cabinet!!!! where are you based Steve?

If you send me you Email to jason.finn@btopenworld.com I dont mind helping you find a cabinet and advise.

The cabinet you refer to as the special Space Ace Cabinet, its called a space ace 91, which is yes a DL2 conversion, the kit comprises Space Ace laserdisc (1991 print) a Marquee, Control Panel, and a ROM, the front and sideart was done by Ryan Clapper, it awesome, their was only 2 sets of front and sideart made, I have one set and Mike RYan has the other, I had all my metal on the cabinet chromed, and applied Chrome T-Moulding, the game has an 8 way joystick, as you can do diagonal moves

all the best
-Jason

Orrimarrko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »
Hey Jason,

I'm afraid that I don't know much about Motorcycling/Stunt Riding, so I had no idea.  I checked out your website - very cool!  You're right though, I'm sure you earn every quid.  I think I'll pass on the job; I'm kind of partial to unbroken bones. ;)

I love talking about and reading stories relating to arcade games, so I loved the info you shared.  I'd love to hear more at some point.

40 in a couple of weeks - not sure if that's congrats worthy (I'm not looking forward to it myself!)  Happy Birthday though.

I wouldn't mind undertaking a restoration, the only problem is the guts. I think I could handle the cabinet portion, but the electronics is something altogether different.  It would have to be a great machine (monitor, laserdisc player, etc), just needing some love on the outside.  I think you're right about the attachment people have to machines they work on.  Just makes sense.  I saw Bruno's restoration (love to read his stories as well), he did a great job.

I live in Austin, TX - quite a ways away from most of you (as I realize the majority of collectors here are based in Europe.)  I still love the site, the passion (and the humor) make this a great site to visit, and to learn from.

Thank you for the offer to assist/advise; I really appreciate it - sounds like you're a very busy guy.

As for the Space Ace 91 cabinet, it sounds like it wasn't actually released that way; just converted to look absolutely fantastic!  Happy that two big collectors were able to obtain the sideart - it is awesome. Thanks for the info.

Again, I appreciate your time.

Thanks again,
Steve

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »
@jason: thx for sharing your stories - quite a collection you have there  :shock: if you can't find a DL or SA cabinet for our "guy from texas", perhaps you could find one for "the guy from germany"  ;D i wouldn't mind ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

leeram

• View Profile
    • Eckychap
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 01:08:13 AM »
I've been to Finny's Lair a few times and trust me, the place is like nowhere else on earth. The art he has is second to none, you can spend hours just looking at it without even playing any of the games.

Jas, Euromeet number two is well overdue now! You promised me a path to the lair, up north we never break our promises :-)

I am also nearly 40 (39 in September) as is my mate Wallsy (he's 38), there's no shame in loving these fantastic games. I own my own Space Ace, it's a bit tatty but that's exactly how I wanted it; just like it had been in an arcade all these years. I have no real intention of doing it up, except maybe to repair some damage to the side art and t-moulding that got made during transit.

If you want some action without the cab then check out the PS3 version which is quite simply superb, as is the itouch/ipod version which also only costs £3.50, an absolute steal. Let's face it, that's basically free.

I don't hammer Space Ace like I used to. I treat it like an old friend. I turn it on every month to dust out the cobwebs, after about 30 minutes my wife will complain at hearing the intro again (I'll be talking along with it). Maybe once every 3 months I'll get a beer and have a couple of goes. Space Ace and Dragon's Lair are more than games to me, at a turbulent time in my life when I was a young teen they were rocks, something I could hang on to. Like I say, more of a friend than a game.

Cheers

Lee

My Ramcade Blog ¦  My Personal Blog
E-mail: leeram@leeram.com  Twitter: @Leeram

Dirks Magic Sword

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 07:09:30 AM »
what a great post Lee!

You nailed it by saying the game is like an old friend.

I view my Vintage Star Wars MOC/loose figures and my small Dragons Lair collection like old friends :)