Author Topic: DATA EAST KARATE CHAMP SCRATCH BUILD, YOU CAN ORDER IT AS WELL AS OTHER CABINETS  (Read 32700 times)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile

This a very interessting question, my partner would like to sell complete ready to run only but I told him that we have to sell whatever the customers look for, and that will be empty enclosures at the most.

As for the artwork, I have to admit that I am not a pro, but would be grateful if you enlight me. Are you talking about different print-technics?

Anyways, the material is laminat, so its no need for you guys to paint them and artwork is planned to be applied.
In order to do that we have to setup an artwork-library.
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

neocps1

• View Profile
waiting for real world pictures of the cab to see if it is really worth  :)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile

You are one of the guys that dont want to understand that putting the woodparts together is not big deal, creating CAD-File is it.

I sit more than a week on the Tempest now, 10-14 hours a day.
When it is finished all we have to do is to feed the CNC-device and wait to get the cab in puzzle-form that is assambled in less than 2 hours.

So what sense would it make to work hundreds of hours to create a CAD-File if we dont use it after.

Industrial grade production works differently than what guys do at home with a jig swaw.

Its like you would say:

" I see the results of the dyno-testing of a big block chevrolet-V8 but I wait until its in the car to see if the engine runs".

Thats nonsense, the dyno-pull tells you everything, horsepower, torque, idle, oil-pressure...just everything.

The task is to create the CAD-File that feeds the CNC-Device....and not to screw the parts together because if they match and fit together in the CAD-Simulation they do in real life.
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
I think he's more "one of the guys that want to see the final product before they buy it blindly".
Which is a legit request from a customer, regardless of the product he's buying.

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX

You are one of the guys that dont want to understand that putting the woodparts together is not big deal, creating CAD-File is it.

hm... and you are "one of the guys" who should not neccessarily do the public relations stuff for your future company.
you sound a bit too harsh and this could "piss off" people easily. just my two cents.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
The other question is, if you buy an empty shell, you will need the following additional parts:

-complete wiring with connectors
-monitor
-power supply
-pcb
-marquee
-bezel
-control panel overlay
-joysticks, buttons
-coin door
-fluorescent tube with electronics
-skills to put everything together

Collect these original parts with shipping cost from different places would be 500-700 eur, you can bring an original cab from the US for that price.
My 2 cents of course.

neocps1

• View Profile

You seems to be the guy how doesn't know how easy it can be to loose potential clients with a bad sentence.

There is a huge difference between a CAD file and the real cab. This is the difference between vaporware and reality.

So, my expectings are legit don't you think ?

atarikid

• View Profile

If you are applying the same attitude selling stuff as you replying to a very valid question you lost me as customer.  :roll:

Just my two cents though..
Coder of EasyMame
- Pinball Star Trek NG
- Mame cabinet

atarikid

• View Profile
Collect these original parts with shipping cost from different places would be 500-700 eur, you can bring an original cab from the US for that price.
My 2 cents of course.

+1
Coder of EasyMame
- Pinball Star Trek NG
- Mame cabinet

nilfisk

• View Profile

My 2 cents of course.

Well said; Bela. I was referring to this when I previously asked
Also, in some cases I assume getting the parts needed on top of the cab itself (control panels, coindoors, ...) will be hard. Are you thinking about sourcing repros here as well?

But as I see it: In dubio pro reo - let's see what the guys come up with once their Tempest is completed. Could prove to be a cool product as well.

Martin

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
That's what I was thinking while reading about a repro SW cockpit: where do you get the yoke, PCB, monitor, etc.

but I still think this is a pretty cool project

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
The other question is, if you buy an empty shell, you will need the following additional parts:

-complete wiring with connectors
-monitor
-power supply
-pcb
-marquee
-bezel
-control panel overlay
-joysticks, buttons
-coin door
-fluorescent tube with electronics
-skills to put everything together

My 2 cents of course.

Monitor (old TV with SCART) free to 15€ in the classifieds
PCB starting from 15€ (depending on game of course)
Marquee included
Bezel included
Controlpanel Overlay included
Happ Joysticks and buttons (two complete set with 6 buttons per player, player 1 player 2 and so on) 30€
fluorescent tube with electronics 5€ new or 0-1€ in the classifieds

Bringing an used cabinet is possible of course, but it is still 30 years old. You got no warranty, the monitor will be burnend in......the cab just wont be in perfect conditions.....and its power supply is not going to work right away with your grid starting with a plug that wont match in your socket. USA got 110V, we in Austria and and the countries around got 220V.

I have old cabinets, and restoring them to perfect shape is so much work and costs that I rather will build them new in future if possible.
As for the the parts you listet, most of them like joysticks and buttons, artwork and other stuff is to replace on a used cabinet as well.

On my sega Hang-On I have already 300€ ONLY IN PARTS, not counting the purchase of the cab itself and I did not even really start the restoration.

I still need a new monitor, artwork, tinted glass, grips, brake-lever, accelerator, button, bearings and and and....

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/synonym999/library/Hang-On%20restoration

Of course I dont know what conditons you are after, I want them perfectly without any signs of use.

Another point is that you wont find easily people that will ship outside USA or even within the USA.

I have 2 american cars and found tons of parts for them but shipping outside the USA is always a problem, dont know why, seems like americans hate it to fill custom forms....and we talk about stuff that is 10 times smaller than an arcade cabinet.

Next point is a safe transport. I had a problem with one item, it was smashed, I emailed the seller to contact the isurance and they was funniest guys ever. They said the article was not harmed within the borders of the USA, so another insurance would be to charge but I have to find out which one it is.

If you crate the entire cabinet than you will come over the 500-700€ you calculated (especially for expensive cabinets like Star Wars or Tron) and stil its not sure that the cab wont be damaged inside by careless handling. Especially tubes dont like shocks and private people wont have the possibility and the motivation to crate and ship an arcade cabinet and companies like TNT amusement start with 1000USD up for there cabinets....rather 1200.

Often the customs open bigger boxes to see if there is something inside thats not on the custom form or illegal and dont pack the crate then in the proper way for the rest of the shipping. I experienced so many problems with shipping from the USA with much smaller items than that.....

You have to pay tax (and dont consieder sellers to write a cheaper bill for you) and and and, so importing a cabinet is not as easy as buying, paying and waiting for it to arrive.

Especially for people that are intended to add more than one cabinet to there collection and dont have all the time on earth to search and import, our service is interesting.  ;)

There are even companies IN the US that offer cabinet replicas, so there seems to a market for that :)

As for my answers, sorry guys, I work up to 15 hours a day and sleep very less. My partner is busy with his company at the moment and cannot support me at the moment.

My answer was not meant to be impolite, if it appeared so it may be a problem of the language barrier.
I just wanted to point out that industrial production is not to compare with home construction.

If I build a cabinet at home the hardest part is to cut the wood and to assemble the parts. Not so in our case, we invest 100 of hours in designing the CAD-Files as the certain cabinets need to be build in 2-3hours even if we did not build that type for a year. We dont have the time to start researching for every single build. Once one cabinet is CAD´d it is ready for the production every time.

Thats what I tried to point out, but sorry if it sounded rude, that was not my intention  :)

Tyrem

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • SK GameNatiX

Another point is that you wont find easily people that will ship outside USA or even within the USA.

I have 2 american cars and found tons of parts for them but shipping outside the USA is always a problem, dont know why, seems like americans hate it to fill custom forms....and we talk about stuff that is 10 times smaller than an arcade cabinet.

Next point is a safe transport. I had a problem with one item, it was smashed, I emailed the seller to contact the isurance and they was funniest guys ever. They said the article was not harmed within the borders of the USA, so another insurance would be to charge but I have to find out which one it is.

If you crate the entire cabinet than you will come over the 500-700€ you calculated (especially for expensive cabinets like Star Wars or Tron) and stil its not sure that the cab wont be damaged inside by careless handling. Especially tubes dont like shocks and private people wont have the possibility and the motivation to crate and ship an arcade cabinet and companies like TNT amusement start with 1000USD up for there cabinets....rather 1200.

Actually I do find it a little bit odd that you did not do any background research on this board. This comminity has a certain history in importing games from the us. We have done 4 containers in the past and the 5th is just a question of time. We know the costs for us and a very respected member of the DLF is taking care of everything.

I must admit: I would prefer an original cab over a repro under nearly ANY circumstances. No matter what the condition is. Restoring the cab is part of the fun for a lot of us here. I would jump in for one or two exceptions (Track & Field) for example... but for me as a collector... I want the real deal.
Looking for Dragons Lair 1 or 2, Space Ace, Double Dragon, Robotron and yeah... a Shinobi would be cool, too!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Old original cab has history, repro has none. I'll take an imperfect original over a perfect repro any day.

However I can see the potential. The deepest worry I have is that original parts are going to go in a repro machine, if that is going to happen on a large scale iI wouldn't like that much, I'd rather see them go into original restored cabinets.

I can see there are situations where (parts of) the wooden cab are beyond repair and this would be a good alternative, although even in such cases I would prefer to get an original empty shell from somewhere.

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile

You guys are correct, original is original...with all its pro´s and contras.

The Hang-On in my Livingroom (a project I currently work on) smells so terrible, is so dirty and messy and is full of bugs and spiders that I dont see his "history" as a pro though!

If we see it as strikt as some guys do than even a restored one is not original.

If you change the sticks or the buttons against others or repros it is the same as changing the housing, artwork etc etc.

A friend of my personal Facebook-Arcade group found a Nintendo-Cab in NOS-conditons, it got 3 games on the coin-counter and that seems to be the test-games.
That is the real original stuff, all original sticks, buttons, decals...just everything. As soon as I start changeing parts I can say its not original anymore but I dont care that, I want to increase my collection.

I understand others are after real and old cabinets though  :)

I also have original cabinets and I am proud of them, but since I want the entire Nintendo-line like DK, DK 2, DK 3, DK Jr, Popeye and so on I am going to reproduce them as it would take me decades to collect them, if I get them at all.

I also like the restauration and I make them to the perfectionism, thats why I make a cabinet new before I start changeing literally everything.

As for the unique controls like handlebars and yokes, its our plus that we can produce such things to. But there are also companies out there that already produce some of the things.

As for the container-shipping. How would I (for example) benefit from a container I can participate in if it is going to Italy, Norway or Spain if I am from Austria?

Generally, everybody that is in forums often knows that you get descouraged more often than not.
No matter what your intention is, the members always will say "forget it, you it can´t be done".

We have to come over that  ;)