Author Topic: :: From SEGA G-LOC to After Burner *Climax* ...THE conversion! ::  (Read 39588 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: :: From SEGA G-LOC to After Burner *Climax* ...THE conversion! ::
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
dose AB climax work just as an arcade game?  ie could you site the game and any one use it? (not that i would just interested).

Yes, the game is arcade accurate BUT because it's PS3 behind this, you may goes back into a game menu if you push the wrong button after a game, thing you don't want to see happened if your game is 'on location'  :P

what a way to utilise a fabulous, yet broken cabinet.

Yes, it's was a such 'non worlink' monster ... but I'm happy I didn't sell it  ;)

strykr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 11:57:11 PM »
Great work mate, love it!

There must be a way to translate stick movements into the hydraulics of the cab!  :)
Its all about the scanlines.....

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 11:15:29 PM »
....and back on this!

So ... what else here?

Well, I got the opportunity to buy... a yellow Sega Lindbergh hardware (thanks again cryingfreeman  :-*), which is the arcade system who runs the REAL After Burner Climax arcade version! Here's what I got exactly  :arrow:

- Sega yellow Lindbergh system
- Sega JVS I/O type 2

Of course, in order to run the game, I bought this too :

- After Burner Climax original DVD for Lindbergh + its security chip

And after adding a standard power supply 'tuned for Lindbergh' (the dedicated Sega power supply is too expensive!), found a 19" 4/3 TFT, installing *Climax*, and ordering a Sega JVS I/O board type 3 (the I/O type I had didn't have the 60 pins connectors required for analog controls) I can see the game starting for the first time :

OK, now the 'stressing' part of this integration... does the Lindbergh (or more precisely the JVS I/O board) will understand the GLOC controls? In other words, do the 5K gloc potentiometers will be 'understandable' by the Lindbergh? Theoretically yes... almost most 'analog controls based' Sega arcade games use 5K potentiometers...
Like I did for the PS3 integration, I want a 'non destructive' installation...

Damed! The controls don't work!  >:(

More precisely, in the dedicated Lindbergh setup, inside the JVS IO board sub-menu, the three GLOC potentiometers I've connected are well recognized, and give the expected range of values, but once the game loaded, in the specific *climax* menu, although the calibration process work fine, the controls go crazy in the menu & the game!!!  :ghost:

After learning the original After Burner Climax diagram, I've discovered the existence of an additional board located between the IO board and the original After Burner Climax controls, called  "839-1187R AMP BOARD" :

Of course I don't have this specific board. It is used to convert (amplify) the signal coming from the original controls into the JVS IO board.
So this must be my problem I guess?! : although the Lindbergh board 'understand' the gloc potentiometers values, *Climax* expects something else...  :-X

During a conversation with Andy Geezer about this problem (THE SEGA hardware master), he pointed me something really interesting : ...use 837-13551-92 IO 'type 1' board , climax will not work with type3 IO boards...I put it down that type3 uses 16bit of data for analogue while the old one uses 8bits.

Using the first generation of JVS IO board, with a 'modern' game such Climax? Ok let's try the same wiring but this time, with a 837-13551-92 IO 'type 1' JVS board :

HOLY CRAP! It works!!!!  :o :) Everything work!! All the controls, the buttons, the calibration...everything works like a charm! Thanks again Andy for pointed me the problem!  :-*

So now, nothing can't stop me on this project!  :) Work in progress...  :P  :arrow:

Well, the only modification I have to do on my GLOC cockpit is to replace the CRT by a TFT screen, like the original climax setup.
In order to do a clean job, I had to found the right TFT screen size + to find a bezel that will fit the GLOC cockpit AND the TFT 'shape'... and I did it as you'll see in the coming pictures!  ;) But for now... Let me enjoy the heat of the Lindbergh hardware!  ;D  :arrow:

I run the Japanese version of the game! How cool is that...  :)

Yeah!!!

So much work... so much time spent on this ... so much money (  :oops: ) for having this on screen  ::)  :arrow:

Back on the TFT integration... let me show you in pictures how cool it looks when everything is doing right  ;)  :arrow:

Camera flash used here to show you all the details!
I could not this done better than that... it really looks done 'from factory'  :)  :arrow:

With a natural lightening... it kicks ass!  :arrow:

Various pictures...

Ready to score!

Oh, of course... all the game hardware is now loaded in the cockpit, at the right place :

Speaking about the cockpit itself...  :-*  :arrow:

Next, a video to show you that F-14 ... in action!  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:37:23 PM by DarthNuno »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 06:36:22 AM »
Nice Job !

muddymusic

• Arcade Art Shop
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Shop
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 08:58:20 AM »
That's superb! I wondered if you might be able to do that using the original controls - it's great to see it actually done.

Do the motor parts work like the shaker in the control stick and motion work also? I expect there have been a few changes in the hardware since then.
repro artwork supplier, visit www.arcadeartshop.com

Wurstkopp

• Sausage loving vegetarian
    • View Profile
    • NIKLAS HUGHES ILLUSTRATIONS
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 10:34:18 AM »
Looks ace!!

Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Indiana Jones, Galaga 88, Roadblasters SD, Centipede cabaret, Asteroids cabaret, Phoenix cabaret, MVS-U4

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 12:08:03 PM »
 :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »
Great work Bruno! :D
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 12:05:29 PM »
wow,

that IO / board issue wasn't easy to point out. Thank god for existence of living sega encyclopedia like Andy.  ;D

On paper I wouldn't have bet on a flat screen conversion, but it's good to see that it seems to rock once in place.

4/3 ratio rules !

Great to see this g-loc back on track !
love it...

vernimark

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 12:48:05 PM »
wow great job!!  :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Samurajer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »
Very Cool Darth!!! I am currently also linking my G-loc Deluxe with Arduino: but I also want to control the motion. My idea is to have a fully controllable G-loc Deluxe cabinet so art students here can program a "Immersive Artistic Experience" on it. Off course the game will be switchable, back to its original state: I did not do all the restoration work for nothing.

Yet I can't find the schematics of the motion controller board. But you obviously have those! Could you send me the schematics? And the schematics (and case pinouts) of the Y-board? I reverse engineered all the controls so far (which is quite straight forward), but I would like to keep the controller board working as well since it also processes the perimeter sensors and actuator feedback. Would be cool if I can just drive it from Arduino instead of the Y-board. Have not been able to reverse engineer the 25 black wire bundle connecting the two... Not looking forward to that either!

thanks in advance!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 08:33:15 PM »
Yes! To control the motion would be the ultimate challenge, this would allow to save a loooot of moving cabinets using this hardware (Rad Mobile, Out Run DX, ...)
Well, I unfortunately don't have the 'motor board' schematics, but a genius on the gamoover board has done a serious retro engineering work on these. I'm sure this is THE man for the info you're looking to achieve your project! Have a look right here. Ton of schematics, explanations, but... it's written in French.

subzero1970

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Steves Scale Arcade Models
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
looks cool Bruno! anyone know if ABC was ever released on pc? I don't own an xbox 360 anymore and really miss this game!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »
looks cool Bruno! anyone know if ABC was ever released on pc? I don't own an xbox 360 anymore and really miss this game!

I don't think so. Only for PS3/360...and original Sega Lindbergh hardware!  ;D