General Chat > Electronic HandHeld Games & Vintage Toys, Home Consoles & Computers

Atari 8 bit demo, unbelievable....

<< < (11/14) > >>

level42:
Yes the Happy was THE hottest item to get BITD, at least here in Holland. Only "rich" guys had them. It's an add-in board for the 810 or 1050 drives. It speeds up transfers but most important (well back then) was that it made it possible to copy protected discs :)

I never bought one BITD, couldn't afford it. Out of frustration over that I bought one a couple of years ago, www.atarimax.com was still making/selling them but I don't see them on his website anymore.

It is dead easy to install. Just get out the processor and ROM and pop in the Happy board into the empty socket (IIRC).

http://www.atarimax.com/happy/happy_install.pdf

Little_Rabbit:
Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for this discussion, and for the link to the John's video about the 800XL ! :-*

I haven't been for that long in the small arcade collectors world, so I didn't even know that the guy who makes the "John's Arcade" videos could be on Dragon's Lair Fan ! :-\

Hey John, I really love your videos in general (I mean not just this one about the 800XL). Your uninterrupted flow of words shows so much energy, so much passion that it's every time a pleasure, every time refreshing, something making you stronger in a way  :) !
(sorry for my bad English, I'm not sure I use the right words to express my feeling...)

And that particular video about the 800XL was so cool ! I love your game room John, and now I understand why : we have the same background ! Like you, I have hundreds of 800XL floppy disks full of arcade's hits, and other gems of video games ! Like you I dedicated my teenage period to the ATARI computer world. I ended up studying computer science, and even made a carreer in video game industry : you're perfectly right when you say we were damn lucky to own such a great machine ! The BBS were not existing in France at that time (phone calls were very expensive, even for local calls, and we had "Minitel", a specific French thing, some kind of terminal including a modem to connect to dedicated servers...), but we had other ways to exchange programs. We were not really considering ourselves as pirates, because most of those programs were just not sold in France (maybe in a very few shops in Paris, but nowhere else ;)).

I never heard about ATASCII ANIMATOR ! :D You did a terrific job considering the limitation of the character set ! ^-

Looking at your video was recalling me so much memories !... And you know what is the icing on the cake : the recurring attract mode of Pole Position we can hear on the background ! :-*

Serioulsy John, if you're visiting France one day - I'm pretty close the "Châteaux de la Loire" ;)), we must meet and see each others. I'm sure we could talk for hours about arcade and ATARI 800XL memories :).

Kind regards,

Little_Rabbit

PS : I confirm your image will be much better with the composite video cable ;)

level42:
Hey Little Rabbit....did you/do you have SECAM 8-bit systems ?

johnsarcade:

--- Quote from: Little_Rabbit on October 21, 2014, 11:13:53 PM ---Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for this discussion, and for the link to the John's video about the 800XL ! :-*

I haven't been for that long in the small arcade collectors world, so I didn't even know that the guy who makes the "John's Arcade" videos could be on Dragon's Lair Fan ! :-\

Hey John, I really love your videos in general (I mean not just this one about the 800XL). Your uninterrupted flow of words shows so much energy, so much passion that it's every time a pleasure, every time refreshing, something making you stronger in a way  :) !
(sorry for my bad English, I'm not sure I use the right words to express my feeling...)

And that particular video about the 800XL was so cool ! I love your game room John, and now I understand why : we have the same background ! Like you, I have hundreds of 800XL floppy disks full of arcade's hits, and other gems of video games ! Like you I dedicated my teenage period to the ATARI computer world. I ended up studying computer science, and even made a carreer in video game industry : you're perfectly right when you say we were damn lucky to own such a great machine ! The BBS were not existing in France at that time (phone calls were very expensive, even for local calls, and we had "Minitel", a specific French thing, some kind of terminal including a modem to connect to dedicated servers...), but we had other ways to exchange programs. We were not really considering ourselves as pirates, because most of those programs were just not sold in France (maybe in a very few shops in Paris, but nowhere else ;)).

I never heard about ATASCII ANIMATOR ! :D You did a terrific job considering the limitation of the character set ! ^-

Looking at your video was recalling me so much memories !... And you know what is the icing on the cake : the recurring attract mode of Pole Position we can hear on the background ! :-*

Serioulsy John, if you're visiting France one day - I'm pretty close the "Châteaux de la Loire" ;)), we must meet and see each others. I'm sure we could talk for hours about arcade and ATARI 800XL memories :).

Kind regards,

Little_Rabbit

PS : I confirm your image will be much better with the composite video cable ;)

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the kind words, Little Rabbit! :) And, thanks for watching the videos.

This thread is really making me want to bust out the 800XL!!!

BTW -- there is a 14" PVM on Craig's List locally for $60. I think I will go get it so I can have a dedicated PVM for my retro consoles and computers and I can leave the other one on top of the Dragon's Lair!

Tyrem:

--- Quote from: Level42 on October 21, 2014, 06:24:34 PM ---

A demo. Never heard of demo's ?

--- End quote ---

we even have some demo guys here from good old Atari ST. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version