Author Topic: Walls Down (Breakout Bootleg) restoration (picture heavy!)  (Read 5673 times)

Vond

• View Profile
Walls Down (Breakout Bootleg) restoration (picture heavy!)
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »
As promised. Here are the pictures of the cabinet itself. I have taken these pictures as they are right now without any restoration work having been performed whatsoever.
I will use this thread as my blog for my restoration steps and try to keep you guys updated!

Like i have said elsewhere, I am experiencing some trouble with the monitor and I am afraid I cannot fix this issue myself so I'll probably have some people look at it.
as for the rest, I should be able to fix it and clean her up to former glory.

Without further ado, on to the pictures!

If anyone wants to see something specific or wants more detailed pictures and or information don't hesitate to ask!

My first course of action will probably be to get the cabinet cleaned on the inside. I'll remove most of the dust and other filth and then focus on the PCB itself to get it squeaky clean although it's not nearly as dirty
as some of the other parts.  Ill keep you guys updated on the progress!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:40:59 PM by Vond »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Walls Down (Breakout Bootleg) restoration (picture heavy!)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »
Nice breakout clone !

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:37:20 PM »
Nice breakout clone !

+1 I like it, the cab is cpied to almost ver detail, woodwork wise. And even the double topbezels are there. The monitor bezel is different though, yours is made of cardboard, the Breakout one is made of plastic.

This will be an interesting restoration. What type of board is in it?

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »
Very interesting any markings, stickers, stamps revealing who made it or where it was made?

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:51:38 AM »
...any markings, stickers, stamps revealing who made it or where it was made?

This.

And there's some very unique hardware used in this cab, never seen those buttons before :)

Vond

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:41 AM »
Nice breakout clone !

+1 I like it, the cab is cpied to almost ver detail, woodwork wise. And even the double topbezels are there. The monitor bezel is different though, yours is made of cardboard, the Breakout one is made of plastic.

This will be an interesting restoration. What type of board is in it?

I will be taking out the board and photo document it as soon as I have some time for it. Some of the wires are hard soldered to it so I will need to remove those first (and document their original position of course ;))

Very interesting any markings, stickers, stamps revealing who made it or where it was made?
I have only found 1 sticker so far, which I am afraid is all we will ever get.

I have googled the name a bit and it turns out they were in fact making parts (suitable) for arcade cabinets (joysticks/coin doors etc .
This is a long shot but it could be they made the entire cab? as the company made those parts and makes/made vending machines etc ( http://www.brembotecnica.it/ )
Anyway, ill be sure to do some more research

If someone happens to know something more about company and or cab i'd be happy to hear it!

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 08:37:23 AM »
You found yourself a nice rarity here :)
Enjoy the resto, I will definitely follow this topic.

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 09:10:32 AM »
I find it's especially interesting to read restoration stories about rare (and often bootleg) cabinets. The hardware and graphics are usually not available in the usual repro places, which adds to the challenge. Looking forward to following this!  :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:59 AM »
Love bootlegs, great that you got it !!

Italy was bootleg country nr. 1 BITD. Also, this was still in the period that everyone copied each others machines, like all the Pong clones. Only after the Bertolini (Atari distributor for Italy) vs. Sidam case about Asterock there was some clarity about what was legal and not......

Maybe Vernimark can tell a bit more on this, he's from Italy :)

Vond

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 12:42:23 PM »
As requested pictures of the PCB. (Not yet cleaned up!)

I have decided to completely exchange the monitor so i'm looking for a replacement right now (marktplaats or whatever).
I've already verified that some people close to me can definitely help me find the spot to insert the video signal so that will not be a problem.

Right now im documenting all the wiring inside the cab because i'm planning to strip it clean and begin to restore the actual woodwork/screw etc in the actual cab.
One hell of a job but its already coming along nicely.

If anyone is interested in more detailed pictures of the PCB or parts of it, don't hesitate to ask, as I've gotten high res material as well.