Author Topic: New way to get a high price on eBay..  (Read 6703 times)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
New way to get a high price on eBay..
« on: July 19, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »
Hello.

I lost an auction yesterday on ebay, my final bid on the item was 33.50€.
Today I receive a mail, telling I have a 2nd chance to win the item, only thing I have to do is accept, and pay 33.50€....
Am I the only one on here seeing a problem with this? ie. the seller has a friend overbidding, so they are sure to get a high price by letting the runner up get a 2nd chance to buy, or simple relist the item if the runner up´s bid was too low.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: New way to get a high price on eBay..
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 07:51:31 PM »
It happens every day, here in Hungary on our local auction site, they removed 2nd chance offers from the possibilities.
I'm pretty sure, ebay won't follow this useful decission, cause they always want more and more profit. ::)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 09:41:40 PM »
I have been offered an item I wasn't the highest bidder every now and then and I always had to pay my bid. Never had an issue with that or cared if he had someone bid too much on his item.
So if you were willing to pay 33.50€ for it, then why not take it?

Did you get an official message from the ebay system or a private email (via the ebay system as well) from the seller?

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:57:36 PM »
I have been offered an item I wasn't the highest bidder every now and then and I always had to pay my bid. Never had an issue with that or cared if he had someone bid too much on his item.

Did you get an official message from the ebay system or a private email (via the ebay system as well) from the seller?

I got an official email from eBay.
Of course I could pay my max offer, which was 33.50€, but thats not going to happen now, as if the jerk havent had a friend pushing the price, I would have won the item for 20,50€.. So actually im going to report him instead! - The point is, if youre not happy with the end price on ebay as the selle, list it as buy it now, or dont sell it!

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 02:26:14 AM »

I got an official email from eBay.
Of course I could pay my max offer, which was 33.50€, but thats not going to happen now, as if the jerk havent had a friend pushing the price, I would have won the item for 20,50€.. So actually im going to report him instead! - The point is, if youre not happy with the end price on ebay as the selle, list it as buy it now, or dont sell it!

You can forget about that, friend.
eBay will answer that the selller probably got a second piece to offer to the seconnd highest bidder. And if not the seller and his friend will commit to step back from the purchase officially, so you have no chance. I went through all that before. As long as EBAY!!! makes no loss they won't come in between.
I hate the eBay-management.
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:20:03 AM »
I think he (synonym) is right.

I once reoprted a guy who was obviously buying concert tickets for popular shows just to sell them for at least double the price when they were sold out. In his description he said he cannot be there due to sickness. Well, one can be very sick (i.E. cancer) and has to cancel all the plans he had made. BUT this guy offered 4x2 tickets for that concert and another 3x2 tickets for a show two days later. Looking at his profile he had lots of tickets sold for insane prices. Ebay didn't care. He kept offering his tickets. As long as they get their money, they will do NOTHING!

valentin27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
I was after a pinball. I offered 500, sold for 550 and got a 2nd chance offer.
I was sure something was wrong and did not pay for the machine.

Machine was relisted, I bid 350, same bullshit.

Machine relisted a 3rd time, no overbidding, I got it for 150 !!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:40:05 PM »
Remember, eBay has an interest in as high as possible prices because they get a percentage....

Lungi, that practice is actually legal in Holland can you believe it ?!? Totally hate those fuckers !!

Franzy21

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 09:27:12 PM »

You can forget about that, friend.
eBay will answer that the selller probably got a second piece to offer to the seconnd highest bidder. And if not the seller and his friend will commit to step back from the purchase officially, so you have no chance. I went through all that before. As long as EBAY!!! makes no loss they won't come in between.
I hate the eBay-management.

This happened to me so many times, I just stopped considering 2nd chance offers.
Of course you can agree to pay the high price but in the end you can't help feeling cheated on this...

>:(
Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting in a barn for me... somewhere! A Nintendo Sheriff would also make me happy. And a SNK Sasuke Vs Commanders or a SEGA Samurai... Argh too many; in fact!

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 11:34:59 AM »

The eBay-management is even worse than that, I have so many bad experiences I could write a book.
A guy sold me an item but since the price was not high enough he just did´nt send me the bank-account-data and relistet it....and while eBay explained me that he probably got another piece of the item (a very rare differencial-case of an RC-offroad-car, a hop-up part) I watched the people bidding on my item.

Cylinderheads for my big block chevy engine for 2000usd have´nt been sent, after weeks I contacted eBay and opened a case for an undelivered item.
eBay now told the seller to give a statement, that son of a bitch told some stories about he waited about the check to be cleared by the bank BUT, it was a money-transfer, so no checks are included.
2 mails from him answered by 2 mails from me and the next step was "close case and forward to eBay trust and safe team"
So I clicked that button and thought ok, not the playing games got an end and they rip his ass now.....no, totally wrong thought. It was what it was named, the case has been closed and thats all.....
I saw that the seller still could list items. When I contactes eBay and asked if they dont think the guy should be banned and sured to the police they came with the best joke I have EVER heard:

We are not telling you about the sanktions against the seller due to privacy-protection.
I cannot say anything more to that statement, this is just.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)