Author Topic: Cruse Scanner  (Read 5661 times)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Cruse Scanner
« on: July 05, 2013, 09:57:47 PM »
The ultimate scanner for our hobby!!! Totally stolen from KLOV:

Fizgig writes:

No more messing around with multiple smaller scans that have to be rebuilt in photoshop. I now have access to a Cruse scanner. The Cruse scanner can scan originals up to 48"x72", with a depth of up to 4". I can do an entire cabinet side (art still on wood) in one shot instead of dozens of scans. This way i don't have to adjust every scan to match; angle, size, shape, color, dot patterns, hue, brightness, contrast, etc. saving me loads of time. I can also do pinball play fields. I'm going to scan my 1972 Bally Fireball PF first.

Entire Swimmer left cabinet scan.

R-Type cabinet pulled apart and scanned:

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Re: Cruse Scanner
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »
Cool but wow, the blue registration on that Swimmer side art is phenomenally off!  I've never seen something that mis-registered before!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 12:10:02 AM »
That may be a factory error.

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 12:11:52 AM »
That may be a factory error.

Yep it's definitely on the original art - just amazing how far off it was, yet was "good enough" to be applied to a cabinet at the factory.

martin595

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 04:46:33 AM »
Great result of scan. The adjusting of scan picture is really tough task. The width and height pixel size are very important in this regard.

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »
Not sure about the great results, the R-Type scan could definitely use some descreening to avoid that ugly moiré pattern effect.

Blanka

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »
I wonder if you can seperate the scans into CMYK? That way it does not matter there is moire, as you can just reprint the scan with the original dot pattern. That way you can also shift the wrong registered blue part of swimmer.

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 12:27:36 PM »
That would be a perfect solution but I'm afraid at the moment blurring and downsampling are our only weapons against moiré.

I don't think isolating the CMYK screens is possible because scanners produce an RGB picture first (so you have to convert it to get a CMYK picture)
+
"There are four screens, one for each CMYK color. The color screens contain multiple screen angles within them. Typically the screen for each color is rotated 30 degrees from the others. The prepress people creating this screen have substantial problems of their own with moire in the screen itself. Computers are used to introduce random alteration of the pattern." - (infos gathered from scantips.com)