Author Topic: [Superully's Roadtrip] The Radar Scope Hotel  (Read 25180 times)

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
Re: [Superully's Roadtrip] The Radar Scope Hotel
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 06:04:16 AM »
Again great report Ully! - That sideart on that Buggy Challenge from Taitronics looks to be in good condition, if only the rest of the game was in same condition....

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 07:37:40 AM »
I love these kind of abandoned places, thanks for sharing. :spaceace:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »
Again great report Ully! - That sideart on that Buggy Challenge from Taitronics looks to be in good condition, if only the rest of the game was in same condition....

agreed, but oll would probably take it anyway, although the pcb has been stolen and afaik the monitor has been necked - what a shame!
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »

time to inspect the radar scope cabinet a little bit closer. even if you don't know the game and are no expert in nintendo cabinets you can clearly see that something is not right with its assembly. all in all i would rate the cabinet to be in average condition, it has a few heavy battle damages, but the wood itself is solid, no water damage and nothing that can't be fixed, therefore the medium damage meter rating!

starting at the top, you can see the cracks in the radar scope marquee

this will have to be replaced!

now on to the control panel area - doesn't it look strange? as if pieces had been moved around ... (more on that later)

the control panel is missing two (rare) buttons and has some cracks as well (plus: one of the holes has been widened), meaning i'll probably have to replace this as well :(

control panel from the back: parts of the wiring is missing and one entire button assembly (unfortunately very difficult to find)

the coin door has been butchered as well (look at that silly lever on the coin insert plate)

check at how crudely the additional security look installation has been executed :shock:

coin mech is missing entirely, but at least the wooden coin box is there - puh!

let's turn out attention to the back and start with the serial plate: the cabinet is a very early model (only one slot on the coin door, monitor setup, etc.) which was manufactured in japan for the european market. the license plates i've seen so far said TRS-UP-US (for the American market), -UK (for Great Britain), -GM (for Germany), but mine says -HL. Was that made for the Dutch market?

the famous sanyo monitor in the box - another sign for a very early RS model

the bottom of the cab is a total mess (apart from the layers of dirt), it's a wonder that the game is still working!

hang in there, my dear pcb! :D

speaking of which, the pcb is not one of the usual 2- or 4-board pcb sets, but once again a very early 5-pcb-stack

i have to admit, i hadn't heard of a 5-pcb setup like that before either, until someone on a german forum offered up a 5er radar scope pcb for sale just a few weeks ago. i didn't grab it back then, because i didn't know that i would be picking up the entire cabinet shortly afterwards (and now it is sold unfortunately), but at least i now know what the fifth board is for!

in case you haven't spotted it or didn't know: hell yeah, it's radar scope WITH SPEECH!!! :twisted:

time to inspect the sides! unfortunately, no sideart present on the left side, but that's the fate of almost all radar scope cabinets. however, there are no monitor bolts through the sides, another early model trademark!

a large chunk of wood missing on the right side (or is it left - it depends on how you see it). i wonder what happened here ???

but that's nothing compared to the cabinet's right sideart itself - check it out, seeing is believing :o :shock: :P

if you can't find the original artwork, you have to be creative and find a replacement which will make you happy ;D

first course of action: remove that!!! i was lucky that noone saw me moving the cab around outside on the street, it would have been totally embarassing! :ghost:

going once, going twice, ...

... gone for good - the radar scope girl is no more!!! :'( :P

now let's see which hacking job has been done to the cabinet! after removing the control panel i finally understand the transformation process: the control panel pieces and the lower bezel pieces have been removed, swapped and reassembled!!! don't ask me why, but the red part belongs to the front (and turned around) and the black / white part belongs to where the red part is now. i've never seen anything like that before and the reasoning behind doing something like that eludes me ...

to fix those pieces to the cabinet, a few screws had been drilled through the sides. still shaking my head about that!

now the red pieces have to be removed, turned and re-installed, but i won't be doing that now, because the cab will have to get a full make-over first

here are the pieces i have removed (some of them are not original and will be tossed away)

and here's what's left of the marquee after removing it as well - definitely not salvagable

some good news at the end: the original light fixture is present behind the ex-marquee, i was expecting the worst!!!

all in all, the cabinet is going to need a lot of attention, but i'm already accumulating the missing pieces to the puzzle and i'm sure that radar scope will rise in full glory. my nintendo row has grown and once again my wish has been answered: first it worked with punch out, now with radar scope, so all i'm really missing now for my row is a sheriff, an r-type and an upright vs dualcab. have you heard that? HAVE YOU REALLY HEARD THAT? ;D
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »
Great pictures!! I was waiting for the left side sideart  ;D ;D ;D ;D - sooooooo cool!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought you would convert this into a DK, obviously not..... and regarding the missing Nintendos.....  ... .. Really??... ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 06:48:31 PM »
YESSSSSSSSSSSS, I was already hoping that you'd have the VOICE board in there !!! Woo-hoo ! :)

The first time I learned about the voice on RS was when I read this: http://www.ostermayer.ch/sou.html
(don't forget to mail that guy that you found this, he'll be delighted ;))

Now why would that have been embarrassing Ully ? She doesn't look half-bad to me !  ;D ;D ;D

Of course the bezel needs to be in vertical position and not laying flat like now...

Very very very interesting to see that HL, I couldn't think of anything else than Holland indeed Ully, so GIVE IT BACK NOW !  ;D ;D ;D
The 220V is also an indication...

(Uhhh, OK mine has "UK" on it and no, they're not getting it back  ;D ;D)

I have the same single coin-mech door. I was lucky enough to still be in time to buy some original Asai-Seiko parts from the US. They stopped production of coin-mechs !!!!! Well Mikesarcade still has some but the prices.........

Now, forget about R-type or any of those simple to get games......you want THIS:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 07:26:09 PM »
I thought you would convert this into a DK, obviously not....

nope, why should i do that? it would be a shame to convert a red RS into a DK like they did back then. RS IT IS!!! :spaceace:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS, I was already hoping that you'd have the VOICE board in there !!! Woo-hoo ! :)

The first time I learned about the voice on RS was when I read this: http://www.ostermayer.ch/sou.html
(don't forget to mail that guy that you found this, he'll be delighted ;))

i'm thrilled as well, couldn't have gone any better. the cosmetic parts are no problem, i'm happy that the important electronic parts are there (missing the speaker, but i should be able to get that). regarding the swiss guy: i'm already in touch with markus and he will get tons of pictures from me. the machine needs to be displayed on his page - next to yours!

Now why would that have been embarrassing Ully ? She doesn't look half-bad to me !  ;D ;D ;D

nope, she looks ok, but moving an arcade cabinet around on the street is already strange to some people, but when there's a half-naked girl on the cabinet's side on top of that, they probably think i'm some kind of pervert :twisted:

Of course the bezel needs to be in vertical position and not laying flat like now...

once the wooden pieces are back where they belong, the bezel will be in its correct position! in has no choice :P

Very very very interesting to see that HL, I couldn't think of anything else than Holland indeed Ully, so GIVE IT BACK NOW !  ;D ;D ;D (Uhhh, OK mine has "UK" on it and no, they're not getting it back  ;D ;D)

there's this guy in france who seems to have a radar scope as well (misteriddler) and he has a german plate, so he could give me his, i could give you mine and he would get yours, this way at least two out of three people would have the correct "country code" ;)

I have the same single coin-mech door. I was lucky enough to still be in time to buy some original Asai-Seiko parts from the US. They stopped production of coin-mechs !!!!! Well Mikesarcade still has some but the prices.........

fortunately, i was able to snatch the VERY LAST complete coin mech (including brand-new face plate) from nerdtendo. it is the exact same style as the one on my space firebird, so those two red cabs with their single slot coin door and identical coin mech will look like a match made in heaven next to each other! :-*

as for the radar scope cockpit: honestly i DON'T want it, too big and somehow doesn't fit the row, except if i put dk and friends in cockpits as well ... :P

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Awesome to see those pics Ully.
And great that the original speakergrill panel was still used inside the cab!
For a minute I thought you had to make one from scratch.

This will be a nice restoration project for sure! :)
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »

Does Ully like this in Vector format ?  ::) ;D

If he does, does he have some dimentions for me ?  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 06:35:03 PM »
Does Ully like this in Vector format ?  ::) ;D

If he does, does he have some dimentions for me ?  ;)

he likes it A LOT :) :-* - man, you are lightning fast. i think the colors need a little bit of tweaking, but we can work on that once we have the exact dimensions. speaking of which, what are the dimensions you can get from the original file i've sent you? impossible to accurately measure mine because it is too far gone, but i will ask a guy i'm working with on the radar scope parts and art. i'll get back to you soon! for now, THX A LOT!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 07:16:41 PM »
I have these measurements from your file;
25,7 x 5,3 cm.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:55:30 AM by Etienne MacGyver »

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
You should have taken all PCBs, control panels and everything you could have from that hotel. I bet at least 5-10 of those games will be ok.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »
You should have taken all PCBs, control panels and everything you could have from that hotel. I bet at least 5-10 of those games will be ok.

pcbs are mostly gone, control panels destroyed - never seen vandalism like that before :'(

Bomjac

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
And you can blame Alpha1 for me replying now - Somehow I missed this thread back when it was made.  I did however pick through the PCB's I got last year when I was home time before last - and guess what was in amongst them..... 5 stack Radar Scope board.  Initially it was missing one PCB, but I managed to find that (correctly identified from one of the Roms).  Completely different sound board though - this one has a TRS-03.

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
Damn I want that Taito Buggy Challenge.