Author Topic: Buying tips for the hobby  (Read 65855 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Buying tips for the hobby
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
Wanted to make some promotion for this excellent webstore:

www.allekabels.nl

Alle kabels means "all cables" and well......all is a big word, but they have an insane catalogue of all sorts of cables at good prices. Yes, you may find them a bit cheaper on far-east websites but with those you have to wait for weeks and sometimes longer and customer service is a nightmare.

I ordered various things at www.allekabels.nl and I ALWYAS received them the next day. (You can order up to 21.00 to get next day delivery).

I recently wanted to order a monitor cable for my Atari 8 bit machines and due to some confusion in the information of that item I accidently ordered them at 0,2m. length which is of course way to short. It was partly my fault because the detailed description DID mention it correctly. However is sent them a message through their site, got a reply the same afternoon (on a Saturday) and they fully charged back my money incl. shipping costs so I could order the correct cables. I didn't even have to send back the wrong cables !
They had also corrected the info right away on their site.

Now that is what I call a great way of customer service, happy customer = returning customer.

Regretfully their website is in Dutch only but they DO ship internationally.

OH, and a tip on the Atari 8 bit video cable: I used to think that you needed a special cable, make yourself one, but it turns out I could order the standard DIN to 4x tulip cables. They have the correct pin out and because you have 4 tulip outputs you get 1 for audio, 1 for composit video and 2 for Y/C (or S-video) so it is truly universal cable. It even works with the old C64s that had a 5pin DIN video output.
The productnr. is 684 and it costs €3,80. Look under Audio kabel and then DIN kabel to find it, be sure to get the 1,2m. Long one ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »
Couldn't resist....this is on it's way to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161078122903&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:NL:3160

One of the things I want to prove with it is how much difference new thermal grease makes under (f.i.) bottle (TO-3) transistors.....and it's just fun and useful for other stuff :)

Found this because I noticed a similar one being on offer at the local Lidl. This one has more features and is cheaper though :)

About €20 shipped....and I don't need 0.1 accuracy....

This would be even more fun but the price is just not right :) => http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extech-Instruments-FLIR-i3-Infrared-Thermal-Imaging-Camera/380824205528?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D163%26meid%3D4488588877836493821%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D231146635700%26
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:43:35 PM by Level42 »

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »
Love to see if you can sniff out broken ic's.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »
Mmmm....maybe :)

A thermal camera would be awesome for that.....then again....usually your fingers are pretty reliable for this test ;)

How about the Rigol ? I want one !!! (but I bought too much shit already this year ;)) Can you put it on your business, saves VAT ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »
Inspired by john's arcade video's on youtube:

http://www.saturn.nl/mcs/shop/dagdeal.html

...couldn't resist......ordered.....

I always use hand screwdrivers because the battery screwdriver I've got from my work is usually in my car AND too big for most of the arcade cab work....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:00:17 PM by Level42 »

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »
I haven't seen John's video but I unfortunately own this Bosch IXO and the first time I used it the "ikea bit" broke.
Then the flat ones too a few days later.
It is weak and discharging super fast + the "screw/unscrew" button is so poorly placed that you hit it everytime you grab the tool.
My advice would be to pay more and buy a nice Makita that you will enjoy using.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2014, 11:12:50 PM »
i've got the blue bosch version, cost a lot more but is so much better (although the button thingy that chris mentioned is the same)! use it a lot, especially to drill holes in places were a normal drill would not be able to reach ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 11:29:26 PM »
No problem, sounds like I'm going to return it.....

Bit surprised that Bosch has such quality issues....

Yes I know the blue Bosch stuff is better (= professional series) and I think Makita is actually even better.

Thanks for the advise guys !!!!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:30:58 PM by Level42 »

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 11:36:10 PM »
I was also surprised… and disappointed 'cause it was my very first "father day" present.
For small jobs it's OK, I still have it and use it (I replaced the bits for better ones), but really an IKEA furniture seems the limit for this baby.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 11:33:28 AM »
Are you going to flow solder ??

Inspired by john's arcade video's on youtube:

http://www.saturn.nl/mcs/shop/dagdeal.html

...couldn't resist......ordered.....

I always use hand screwdrivers because the battery screwdriver I've got from my work is usually in my car AND too big for most of the arcade cab work....

seriously, you can get those from "Esso points" but like chris says, you definetly need to change the bits asap.

we have one here at a customer, and i am surprised by the strength of this 3.6V screwdriver...
Okay, its not for Ikea furniture, but for our application its as good as my Panasonic...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:36:53 AM by Etienne MacGyver »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 01:20:17 PM »
Yeah, The link I posted changes every day because it is a "day deal". Usually its just the regular price though...

Hunting for something better already ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2014, 08:28:50 PM »
Yeahhhhhh, picking up a Makita tomorrow for the same price as the Bosch (used of course).
Advantages: 80 piece bit-set, nice professional case for everything, Makita quality
Disadavanges: Ni-Cd batteries (WTF, do these still even exist....hellllooooooo Makita, wake up !!!), no nice "charger stand", loose adapter you have to plug into the unit, clumsy and prone to failure......helllllloooooo Makita....wake up !!! ;)

The Bosch was tried to deliver today....it will go back unopened.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2014, 08:30:08 PM »
OK.....now nobody has an excuse anymore for not owning an ESR meter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Capacitor-ESR-Tester-Capacitance-Equivalent-Series-Resistance-Meter-50-/300993695021

I have no idea about the quality, but I bet it is made on the same basis as all the other good ESR meters.

Major drawback: where are the test-leads ?? Handy guys will solder some themselves though :)

Another drawback: only goes up to 2200 uF.....no testing Big Blue's with this baby...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:33:23 PM by Level42 »

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 10:37:53 PM »
Andre, I know this is to test caps. What is ESR and why does it say "ESR = Too High"?

help a noob out, It looks like I can use a device like this

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2014, 07:27:21 AM »
Andre, I know this is to test caps. What is ESR and why does it say "ESR = Too High"?

help a noob out, It looks like I can use a device like this
https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=3051.0
 ;)