Author Topic: Hail to Galaxian... by Namco!  (Read 139020 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: Hail to Galaxian... by Namco!
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »
Nice. The real fun is getting the bezel/CPO como removed without damaging the joystick....for me not so important. There is a Bally-Midway stick on it's way from the US. I want leaf joysticks if possible and I don't think I could get used to the Japanese micro-switch construction which looked and felt pretty "sloppy"....reminded me of Nintendo joysticks.

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2014, 10:49:11 PM »

Here's the crack on the plexi, too bad....

There must be something....its the exact place where my Galaxian´s screen-plexi is bent upwards in a horrible way...

I will show it as soon as I have it in my hands....

I am also a little less lucky with regards to the famous Namco P1 and P2 buttons. Did I ever mention I hate smokers...well at least those who thought CP's/buttons were the ideal place to rest their cigarettes on.... :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

P2 is relatively OK:

Untitled by Level_42, on Flickr

But P1.....:

Untitled by Level_42, on Flickr

Sigh.....it is also installed upside down for some reason...

I think there is very little I can do about these and finding replacements is close to impossible AFAIK....if anybody has a set for me PLEASE let me know...
Maybe we can 3D print these one day ??

The day has arrived my friend.... I happens to be an industrian designer and to modelize such a button is nothing fancy for me. I attached a 360°-video-cam-helmet I designed for a company and it was in use at the famous liveball which made me very proud.I can make those buttons with ease, I have to talk to the 3D-printers how to print them in the best case....its up to the way you print it.

The instruction inlay has also seen better days. Red is not the ideal color to last very long....I'm having some hopes that combined with Gyruss' pictures we might be able to reconstruct this (Etienne ?? ;) ;) ;))

Lets see how good or bad my one is.....it might be helpful in any case I think.
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:29 PM »
Nice. The real fun is getting the bezel/CPO como removed without damaging the joystick....for me not so important. There is a Bally-Midway stick on it's way from the US. I want leaf joysticks if possible and I don't think I could get used to the Japanese micro-switch construction which looked and felt pretty "sloppy"....reminded me of Nintendo joysticks.

Actually, if you know how its suposed to come apart, its not that bad..

Unscrew the nut at the bottom, and use a vice or a "poelietrekker" to squeeze the shaft out the block.

Poelietrekker:

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2014, 11:46:02 PM »

I dont get that at all...

The joystick-shaft is pressed in that piece of metal that is the rotating joint????
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2014, 11:48:03 PM »
Exactly, and the way out is shaft complete with ball

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2014, 11:50:54 PM »
Ah that's what they use for steering wheels IIRC (old one's I guess ;))

Looks great Syno, looks like you made GoPro happy, how many cams are on there ? :)

I think the black part would be a good candidate for 3D printing but not the clear inner part.

As mentioned, Blanka has a complete button and promised to do the 3D scaling etc. but no harm if you give it a try too....no harm in comparing I guess.

My guess about the plexi bezel/CPO is simply that it was not up to European mistreatment. In Japan people seem to have (had?) more respect for the machines, or probably things from other people in general. Look at the flimsy coin-doors as used by Nintendo. Compared to the US and Euro coin-doors they are very thin and fragile and a breeze to break into. Yet in Japan they apparently were sufficient.

I guess it's the same with the bezel. I think in Europe people banged them and maybe even sat on them or at least lifted themselves with their hand on it....
Or maybe it was just sunlight ? I have no idea. I do know we'll have to replace them ;)

The hardest part, as I understand from Etienne is that it is very hard (impossible?) to have the silver bands printed.
And that is pretty sad because that is what it makes special compared to the Bertolino version, where the silver bands are simply white.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2014, 12:03:16 AM »
About the plexi bezel/CPO....look how beautiful it still is on the one in the Japanese arcade museum that Gyruss visited:

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1975.msg22442#msg22442

HOWEVER, the Puckman seems to have a crack around the joystick.

Gyruss....I know you don't have the time now, but I would LOVE to have the full resolution version of this picture for the card insert:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2014, 12:09:56 AM »
Why? I have yours her ready for repro   ;), but it does not hurt i guess  :D

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2014, 12:38:38 AM »

Looks great Syno

Hahahaha, I always have to smile for no reason when you type "Syno"  ;D

....how many cams are on there ? :)

I designed it as a modul-system, at the Liveball it should have been 9 or 10 but its possible up to at least 20.

I think the black part would be a good candidate for 3D printing but not the clear inner part.

They have showed me a lot in the printershop....even stuff that is elastic like gum....I will let them inform me

The hardest part, as I understand from Etienne is that it is very hard (impossible?) to have the silver bands printed.
And that is pretty sad because that is what it makes special compared to the Bertolino version, where the silver bands are simply white.

At the moments I dont see silver (you have to tell where I should see it) but I know that silver and gold is possible to print with something called (since you guys are from the Netherlands you most probably will understand it) "Schmuckfarbe"

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2014, 12:41:33 AM »
About the plexi bezel/CPO....look how beautiful it still is on the one in the Japanese arcade museum that Gyruss visited:

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1975.msg22442#msg22442

HOWEVER, the Puckman seems to have a crack around the joystick.

Gyruss....I know you don't have the time now, but I would LOVE to have the full resolution version of this picture for the card insert:

And also I can scan mine for Etienne......

If I guess right the machines from that operator are in quite good cosmetic and technical conditions....you wanted to co-operate with me....so let us start to do that, there are not only bad sides in not having the only one japanese Galaxian anymore  ;D

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2014, 07:02:43 AM »
Ah that would be great. Does yours have the Japanese text ? That would be awesome. My card is very very bad condition.

The silver lines are the one's surrounding the green line which goes around the P1 and P2 section and the "score card" section and also around the entire monitor bezel area.

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »

I still dont see any reflective effect but it might be due to the photography

It IS indeed possible to print reflective content, here is an example:

http://blog.printzessin.ch/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/neon_metallic_v2.jpg

and it is even possible up to a chrom- or gold-finish.

People very often use it on there wedding-flyers.

I checked my pictures and I fear the CP is just to dusty to recognize anything but I would count on it that it is the japanese version....I see no reason why not.

For the moment I just can give you that picture, maybe you can read something out of it....but more pictures to come.

I also just noticed that my T-Molding is in horrible shape and not even die-hard original-keepers could live with it....so we order a roll of molding for sure.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2014, 02:36:40 PM »
Scan or straight highres pic of those labels and measurements please  ;) 8) 8)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
Scan or straight highres pic of those labels and measurements please  ;) 8) 8)

You name it, I make it.

Did´nt we do it also with the SEGA sticker...the reflective one?

Always count on me as a source :)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2014, 03:45:53 PM »

If you give me a list I will make it all at the next scansession....also the Hang-On-gauges...and I plan to buy NOS-Artwork for the Hang-On bike, I will scan it too....or does it already exist?

What about the DPI? 300...600?