Author Topic: Hurray for Nolan for giving the very first arcade video game a body of fiberglas  (Read 2792 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
This was found recently by ACAM (a.k.a. Fun Spot)

Imagine if Computer Space would have been in a wooden cab....it would have been written off now (these were at least 5 months outside the facebook page says). But because of the fiberglass body it survived !

nilfisk

• View Profile
Oh, that poor Sega Gun Fight in the back ...

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Yeah, and probably more nice stuff.....

Here's the full text from the ACAM facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Classic-Arcade-Museum/162639127324)

Another classic saved from the scrap heap. We received a call at ACAM regarding some old games that were sitting in a pile of debris near a collapsed building. One was described as a “shiny, Cyclops looking” game. We immediately knew what it had to be…Computer Space.

ACAM board members Gary and Sarah went to the site, met with the owner and were given permission to remove whatever was salvageable. Most all of the games were totally destroyed and had been sitting outside in the elements for almost 5 months.

Since the Computer Space is mostly fiberglass, it was in relatively good shape, although a bit muddy and damp smelling. The cabinet was devoid of a monitor and logic boards. ACAM is looking to restore the game for our mobile educational exhibit and needs your help. If you know of a person willing to donate a set of Computer Space logic boards, please let us know.

nilfisk

• View Profile
I do have a weak spot especially for GUN FIGHT though. There's one for sale about 30 mins from my place, but the seller is asking for at least EUR 1000.- after seeing them go on Ebay US at that rate. Well, I have learned to have patience after a few years hunting for games  :roll:

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
I have never seen such pictures from Europe. I really can't imagine why someone should put electronic items simply outside into the grass. Why not simply put them all together as close as possible and put some cover over them?? No, just spread them in the lawn, they will be gone through the decades  >:(  :(

I like Gun Fight very much, too. Outlaw was one of my favs on the 2600 ;)