Author Topic: My grail....  (Read 36811 times)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: My grail....
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »
O and Chuckie.....do the entire classic arcade videogame collecting community a big favor and scan that manual and upload it to Arcade Archive please :):):)

I want to see a Popeye folder under that Atari/Kee games sub folder ;);););)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »

Maybe it was asked before but is this the same Popeye like the game in the Nintendo cabinets?

I have more than one grail but this is definitely one of my most beloved ones:

http://www.eldoradogames.com/Graphics/Arcades/nw_l.jpg

But to get one of them will be almost impossible....  :(

I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

anunaki

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 05:32:40 PM »
It surely looks like it in the pics in this thread

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
O and Chuckie.....do the entire classic arcade videogame collecting community a big favor and scan that manual and upload it to Arcade Archive please :):):)

For sure ill get it uploaded
I was going to offer it to who ever owns one
But they haven't stepped forward

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »
most of the times I understand why people like things, but this time I don't

It's the Nintendo game in a far less nice cabinet

It must be the rareness and the fact it's done by Atari

;D ;D ;D ;D
I have a dream....that one day....all members of forum are the same....no matter how long ago they have joined, how many games they own or how many posts they wrote ;)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »

For sure ill get it uploaded
I was going to offer it to who ever owns one
But they haven't stepped forward

Awesome I'd love to receive the scans. It will at least show the power supply set up etc.

Syno, yes of course it is the same game, it's a license :)

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »

I never even knew that this exists....did the other titles like DK also come in that very cabinet?

Level42, I sent you a PM regarding something totally different  :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »
No only Popeye.

I know Syno, but I'm kinda busy right now (Eurocade/Retro Game Experience...)...and you can find a lot of that info you're asking for in my Namco Galaxian thread already :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:13:35 PM by Level42 »

synonym9

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »
No only Poppeye.

I know Syno, but I'm kinda busy right now (Eurocade/Retro Game Experience...)...and you can find a lot of that info you're asking for in my Namco Galaxian thread already :)

Seems like I did´nt see that thread until now....do you have a link please  :oops:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »

Ianski

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2014, 11:12:26 PM »
 :shock:

I haven't posted nearly enough on this forum (too busy in the UK arcade forums, sorry) but WOW I have to reply to this!

My favorite arcade memory was playing this particular game at a seaside resort called Great Yarmouth in the UK in the 80's, I was blown away by the graphics, sound and the bouncy screen. I remember it was near the entrance and Jungle King was behind it - my first time seeing these two cabs. Those cabs and particularly Popeye made such a big impression on me, so much so I tried over the next couple of Months to recreate Popeye on my ZX Spectrum computer. I got some of the graphics done from memory but soon found it an impossible feat and it joined the rest of the half-hearted games I tried to recreate  :lol:

I am familiar with the Nintendo version of course and knew the one I played looked different but I couldn't remember how. I loved the look of it though. This was back in the early 80's when most cabinets were dedicated, another reason why these times are golden to me - too quickly the majority of games were conversions in random cabinets, although I still enjoyed many of those. I knew the Popeye I played wasn't in a generic cabinet though. I Literally starting searching the game up again recently and saw the UK version was an Atari license, which lead me to this thread...

I am so happy to have finally found out what is also my grail cab looks like, and that one exists. Thanks very much for posting the information and now the picture.
I feel a bit sad that this version of the game is so uber rare I will never likely see it in the flesh, yet alone own it, but at least it exists, my mind wasn't playing tricks on me and it's an ATARI Popeye for goodness sake. YES!!! Ah the memories...  8)

@Level42 - so we have a Grail in common... I can see you are a man of good taste.
AAAHuuUUH GUhGuhGuhGuh  :D

Cheers.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 11:35:44 PM »
Love stories like that, these kind of stories make you have a "bond" to a certain game :)

Thanks and you too sir ;)

I just had a good look at this:

and this already makes it very clear that Atari used their known power set-up: the usual "power-brick" with the big blue and an AR-II print.
The game PCB, although drawn a little bit longer, does seem to represent the regular Nintendo double board-set.

Since they used an AR-II board, and since Nintendo PCBs don't have voltage "sense" lines I bet either the harness was hacked to give a direct feed-back from the edge connector or Atari actually did the first AR-II modding themselves ;)

Another interesting thing is that the other picture with the monitor says Wells Garnder or Elektrohome monitor, soooooooooo, how did they cope with the inverted video from the Nintendo board ? Separate inverter ? Or did they do the smart thing and use XOR-ed PROMS ?

Questions questions......only one person in the work can answer those at the moment it seems, but he prefers to stay out of the spotlight it seems.....

Although....this manual could provide more info on that too if it has schematics of at least the wire harness :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:38:28 PM by Level42 »

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »
Its licensed, it could be they made a board..

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 12:04:09 AM »
You mean a PCB ? I don't think so. Too small run for designing a dedicated Atari PCB (set).

Ianski

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 12:50:11 AM »
Presumably the manual will have at least some basic circuit information?

Where did you get that from Alex? Awesome find!