Author Topic: Brand new TV to replace old 20" monitor  (Read 50078 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Brand new TV to replace old 20" monitor
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
Thanks Funky for the additional notes (and the correction regarding the 'advj' comand ::) :P:-*

I FOUND THE SOLUTION !!  :o :o :o
Actually, it was very simple, dunno why i never thought to do this ?
The solution is that I SET A RESOLUTION IN MAME THAT IS A BIT WIDER THAN THE NATIVE GAME's RESOLUTION

Ok, but be sure the resolution modification won't affect the correct ratio of the pixels on screen.
If the ration is wrong, in galaga by example, the shape (or size) of your ship could be different on different part of the screen  :-\ ...or the move of your ship would not be 'smooth', or other sprites on your screen could have missing pixels because mame removes some lines or columns  :-X ...
A good test I use to do is trying Xevious and see if there's no deformation during the vertical scrolling. If the ratio is good, you should have a perfect scrolling...
After that, just test Wonder Boy and see if you have a smooth scrolling too  ;)

Hey DN, for your Rolling thunder overscan, You should try to set 304x240 like I did for my vertical games : You'll see, the game will fit perfectly the screen !!, as mame will add 8 blank lines on both sides !

But I dunno if your Rolling Thunder cab is based an the original PCB or a PC+Advancemame configuration. Maybe If you're a purist, you may go for the PC+advancemame to replace the original PCB, and to have a fullscreen no overscanned game.

Well, as I said I'm using the real board, and it's fine for me like that... it's a "root" display, like it used to be in the past... :D :D :D

Anyway, there are many solutions for all our config problems... and only experience (testing a lot of different GFX card, soundcard, TV Display, ADV configuration, ... ) and informations sharing will give us all the answers  8)

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

EvilDindon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 05:45:54 PM »
Ok I'll try to see if my solution affects the scrolling and/or the uniformity of pixels on the screen.

But I'm pretty sure that it won't :

By using direct draw with no hardware stretch, the game display is not modified and centered by mame on the screen at the resolution you set.
Actually, Mame adds 16 blank columns (8 on bottom and 8 at top), so the TV overscans only the blank columns (horizontally speaking).

It does exactly the same for the 224 lines resolutions : mame picks the correct 240 line cga resolution, for example 384x240 and adds 8 blank lines at top and bottom.

I'll try to put some pictures to show you it's "arcade accurate" ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:49:09 PM by EvilDindon »

EvilDindon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 06:23:28 PM »
Ok, back in home and I've done your test Nuno : EVERYTHING IS PERFECT on scrollings and pixels uniformity.

See those pictures (Windows Mame 0.110 + arcadevga) :

1/ Xevious : 288x224@304x240 : Perfection ! (actually the left size is cut a bit due to the Sony TV, but in this game that is not noticeable) :

2/ Ms Pac Man : 288x224@304x240 : same result as above, except that for those maze games, I won't use that resolution : The maze is cut on the left size, but that's a specific sony TV issue with this resolution (The result on the Thomson TV is PERFECT vertically and horizontally) :

3/ The workaround for pac man games : For example, Pac Man : 288x224@321x240 : good compomise for my Sony TV no more maze cut on the left, and 1cm blank space at top and bottom :

Et voilà !

I'm a very happy man.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 06:27:38 PM by EvilDindon »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 07:13:19 PM »
Wonderful  :-* :-* :-* Very good job, and ... wow... we've got now a new solution for such screen size problems, thanks to you  :) :-*

:spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

EvilDindon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 07:21:02 PM »
I'm sure it will help fools like me who want to make a vertical (or horizontal, it works both sides) mamecab with an arcade VGA and a TV.

;)

funkycochise

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 08:04:28 PM »
good news evil dindonneau  :lol:

Josef1975

• View Profile
    • VGA TO SCART CABLE GUIDE
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »
Hi to everyone, I'm joseph from italy; I like Mame and other emu and I'm here for a reason: I've made a complete vga-to scart cable construction guide, maybe you could find it usefoul (but a lot of people here seems to be already very expert on this...)

so this is the link: http://digilander.libero.it/venturi1975/

I'm very luck to leave in europe ( I also work in a big electronic store) so (as you wrote above in this thread) is very easy form me to find CRT TV with scart RGB... very rare outside Europe.

hope this can help you!
bye!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:30:59 PM by Josef1975 »
MY VGA TO SCART CABLE GUIDE:
http://digilander.libero.it/venturi1975/

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 06:16:32 PM »
Hello Josef1975,

Great documentation, and complete. I've used your language translator because I don't speak Italian  :oops: but because you've putted a lot of pictures, it really helps  ;)

Thanks for your link.

:spaceace:

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 07:23:40 PM »
Another old topic ....  :P

a nice spare tv/monitor Inno-hit brand (as Bluesky - digihome - manhattan etc .... do you know Bruno? M4725 ;) :-*)

and this time for only 25€  :shock:  :spaceace: junk for normal people  ;)

as new:

perfect image as always:

:pac: :ghost:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 06:54:45 PM »
Hey guys ... here in Italy is the right time  ;D

2 tv (in perfect working condition, nice picture) for ..............

30€  :o :o

:-* :-* :spaceace: :spaceace:

Let's stock ... let's stock  :pac: :ghost:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:56:52 PM by scr33n »
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »
what's the max distance you're driving for those tvs? is there anything special (menu-/screenwise) you're paying attention when buying them?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 07:26:42 PM »
what's the max distance you're driving for those tvs? is there anything special (menu-/screenwise) you're paying attention when buying them?

Distance 50Km max.

Yes there is a ghost menù (me and Bruno know it very well  :P - the nice and tested brand are: INNO HIT - BLUESKY - KENNEX - MANHATTAN and UNITED here in Italy) and yes I check the TVs (on/off  ;) screen conditions - geometry conditions etc...).

These TV work perfectly at 60hz  :-* :-* nice and stable image
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »
Yes there is a ghost menù (me and Bruno know it very well  :P - the nice and tested brand are: INNO HIT - BLUESKY - KENNEX - MANHATTAN and UNITED here in Italy) and yes I check the TVs (on/off  ;) screen conditions - geometry conditions etc...).

all these manufacturers are pretty unknown here in germany :(
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Reinhold

• Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 09:18:29 PM »

all these manufacturers are pretty unknown here in germany :(

The United brand is also used in Denmark (the other brands, have i never heard of)

mchay

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 10:53:43 PM »
I don't know if this PDF has been mentioned before, or if it is the right thread - but it's been helpfull to me on several occasions - when looking for a TV to replace an arcade monitor.

http://www.kaedebycafeen.dk/pdf/TV-Service-Mode.pdf