Author Topic: :: Road Trip :: Atari ASSAULT (but created by the arcade god : NAMCO!!!)  (Read 46155 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle

Back on the 1st of July 2012 ... an ordinary Sunday, during the UEFA Euro 2012.

Finally found one game, still in my 'must have' list... not a rare one, but whatever, it's a special one for me...and very close to my house.

Road trip time!

As I said, it's very close to me... so, no need the nav. car this time, and it's broken anyway  ::)!

no need 'survival kit' or anything special for this road trip, it's 'around the corner'...oh well, please excuse my Dr Pepper Zero!  :P

It's time to go... If I wanna be back for the football match this evening!  :P To clarify, I'm not a huge football fan, but hey... it's the EURO, let's make an exception!  :-*

Damn! no money on my pockets! Sometime it's a real pain to live in a little village where there's no shop, no post office, no bakery, no restaurant... nothing at all!
So, no other choice than going to the nearest town and lose some precious time...

...what a pain...

...just for having some money in my pocket...

After losing time for nothing, I can -at last- start to drive to the destination...

Fortunately, it's really close from my house... I'm sure I spent more time just to withdraw €€€ than driving until here...  :-X

But here we are... I know well the seller (already done some 'business' with him during this road trip for my After Burner 2).

He uses to contact me when he got some dedicated cabinet that may interest me...  8)
So, what we have here today?

Some Naomi, and ... a huge Mad Dog McCree!  :arrow:

Mostly generic cabinets, but also few Neo Geo ...

Wow, a very old one! Exidy's Crash  :o  :arrow:

Can you name that control panel?  :arrow:

And what about this row of cabinets? Looks interesting... check it out!  :arrow:

Never seen that ...'console pod' before? Well, it's not a 'console pod' because inside there is a 'special' Nintendo board, probably slightly different than the Super Nintendo for market. It uses special SNES cartridges, not the one we use for the home model? Interesting!

There is also an Atari System One (playing RB), but today... I'm here for a game I really love : ASSAULT!  :-* :-* :-*

This cabinet is very special : It's the one I played more then 20 years ago in a pub!
Listen, I'm not talking about just the game, I'm talking about that cabinet itself!
Yes, it's precisely on that one I putted my hands on, to play it! The seller got a lot of games from the operator who 'operated' games in the pub I used to go when I was kid! That Assault cabinet  is coming from that operator.
The seller, who lives in the same area than me also remember playing Assault on that precise pub (named 'Le strass' in the CORA shopping center). He know well the operator who confirmed him it's the only Assault cabinet he had, and that one was operated in that pub... so HELL YEAH!!! I cannot be more happy! To find back the exact cabinet I used to play!
It's the second time it happens for me... the other 'game' is ... my Galaxian Theater!  ;D

So the game is supposed to work, but the power cable is cut, the game very dirty inside... I trust the seller, price is ok, so no time to lose (remember, there is a match to follow this evening ;D)... loading time!

Very good condition as you can see  :-*  :arrow:

The usual 'I cannot believe that cabinet is now inside my car' picture  ;D :arrow:

It's too l8te to prepare dinner...

...so quick! Quick! ...

..and I'm just in time...

...for the match!  :arrow:

Sorry baby, buy you'll have to sleep in that car until tomorrow  8)

Oh yeah, only 2h29min / 70km ... easy & lazy, but definitively worth it!  8)

Scene from the past, somewhere in a pub, early in the 90s'

Marty to Bruno (playing on an Assault cabinet) : "One day you'll own that cabinet at home... Believe me!"
Bruno : "Are you joking!? Yeah! Yeah! ...and I'm sure I'll also have a Galaxian Theater?! Now let me play my game quietly..."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:28:05 PM by DarthNuno »

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
Re: :: Road Trip :: Atari ASSAULT (but created by the arcade god : NAMCO!!!)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Finding the exact cabinet you used to play is priceless, great catch!!! :spaceace:
The shape of the cabinet is really unique and futuristic, me like. :D

Donkey

• View Profile
    • Killscreen - danish arcade/pinball news blog
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:04:38 PM »
Pretty cool looking cabinet! And great story, congrats :)
I need a Berzerk! Hook me up :)

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:15:13 PM »
Wooooow awesome Bruno!!! Congratulations  :spaceace: :spaceace:

Only one problem, the final result of the match :-\ :-X
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

ltearle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:26:25 AM »
Am I the only one who is excited at seeing a Super System!  :P

But the Atari Assault is very cool.

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 03:29:39 AM »
Wow that's the nicest looking Assault I've seen.  Nice pick up :spaceace:!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
Great Roadtrip - and finally the Arcade Gods where on your side!, small trip, not even 3 hours, weather was nice and the schedule was kept  ;D
Interesting Nintendo, would love to own that on!

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:22 PM »
wonderful catch, bruno, congratulations! how many roadtrips do you still have "in your backpocket" (meaning: unpublished)? and i'm curious: how many games do you have in total?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 09:15:21 PM »
Finding the exact cabinet you used to play is priceless

Yeps! Totally right!  And I also believe my ...Tron Zac' cabinet is also the one I played in the 80s because... it's coming from the same seller than this ASSAULT! And he has the same 'operator' source. I doubt they were a lot of Tron Zac' in my area back in the day (remember, I live in a small villages, no big city with arcade around...)?! But it's just an assumption... I have no proof regarding the Tron history. I'll investigate for that one  8)

Interesting Nintendo, would love to own that on!

That one may be still available. Would you like me to ask the seller if it still available for sale?

how many roadtrips do you still have "in your backpocket" (meaning: unpublished)? and i'm curious: how many games do you have in total?

Mhhh... let me count... I would say something like 5 or 6  8) Stay Tuned!  ;)

atarimania

• View Profile
    • Atarimania
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »
Nice catch!!! and great game  :-*
Have You Played Atari Today ?

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 10:03:26 AM »

Yeps! Totally right!  And I also believe my ...Tron Zac' cabinet is also the one I played in the 80s because... it's coming from the same seller than this ASSAULT! And he has the same 'operator' source. I doubt they were a lot of Tron Zac' in my area back in the day (remember, I live in a small villages, no big city with arcade around...)?! But it's just an assumption... I have no proof regarding the Tron history. I'll investigate for that one  8)

No, it is not that cab, I would rather donate my Zacc Tron to Bela. ;D ;D ;D

old school

• Read more = post less
    • View Profile
    • Le JR'S
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 09:23:58 AM »
This cabinet is very special : It's the one I played more then 20 years ago in a pub!
Listen, I'm not talking about just the game, I'm talking about that cabinet itself!
Yes, it's precisely on that one I putted my hands on, to play it! The seller got a lot of games from the operator who 'operated' games in the pub I used to go when I was kid! That Assault cabinet  is coming from that operator.

I know this feeling and it's priceless
i'm glad for you

;)
"Winners Don't Use Drug " but to loop Ghost & Goblins it help !!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
I know this feeling and it's priceless

Yes! And I forgot to mention my S.T.U.N. RUNNER I played on the attraction park in Luxembourg.  8)

OK, back on the topic... unloading the beast  :)  :arrow:

I'm very happy about the condition, it looks very nice under a ton of dirt!  :P

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
OK, examine what we have here...

Hey, low SN from my understanding : 150099  :arrow:

The monitor looks 'fresh' from the outside :

The original board, under tons of dust  :arrow:

The bottom, more recent power supply unit...

The game is supposed to be working, but it has never been plugged since years! The power supply cord has been cut for some reason? I think I'll test the board in a *working jamma setup* first. Let's remove the board :

Its other side is dust free :

Ok, I'll just use my Air Compressor for a first pcb cleaning...

Now let's try the board :

Working! Yessss!  :-*

Laszo

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Building
    • View Profile
As aspected..... Its broken  ;D upsidedown...... Congrats a working board.