Author Topic: donkey kong build from scratch  (Read 69316 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: donkey kong build from scratch
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »
@jinxz: did you get yours from the usa?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

count3rkill3r

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »
No problem. I will buy some on the internet ,

why not buy the original from andré?

because the t molding from andré is 15 mm and my mdf panels are 18mm thick

count3rkill3r

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
No problem. I will buy some on the internet ,

why not buy the original from andré?

Yup, Nintendo used a specific kind of tmolding (white and flat) so having that makes all the difference. Using Andre's molding makes sure that you've got that covered.
Did you have the sides of the wood slotted yet to fit the molding?

i need a router first i do not have one so i need to search one from a friend or so :-)
but i can do that job just before painting the cab so it will take a while before i get there

jinxz

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 12:31:39 PM »
@jinxz: did you get yours from the usa?
Yup, from T-molding.com.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
Yup, from T-molding.com.

is it REALLY flat? as far as i know, the only place selling true flat t-molding is chomping quarters ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

jinxz

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »
Yup, from T-molding.com.

is it REALLY flat? as far as i know, the only place selling true flat t-molding is chomping quarters ...
From itself it's not completely flat but once you hammer it into a 2mm slot it is nice and flat. I suspect that if you have Tmolding that is flat by itself it might concave when you hammer it in. Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2013, 03:49:10 PM »
From itself it's not completely flat but once you hammer it into a 2mm slot it is nice and flat. I suspect that if you have Tmolding that is flat by itself it might concave when you hammer it in. Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

here's a comparison of the t-molding that mike's arcade (and t-molding.com) carries and the one specially produced by chomping quarters! flat doesn't necessarily mean flat ;). this is the stuff you need to order when you want to get the authentic feeling, but since your mdf is wider than 15mm, you must take a different route.

jinxz

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2013, 05:06:04 PM »

here's a comparison of the t-molding that mike's arcade (and t-molding.com) carries and the one specially produced by chomping quarters! flat doesn't necessarily mean flat ;). this is the stuff you need to order when you want to get the authentic feeling, but since your mdf is wider than 15mm, you must take a different route.

Not to defend Mike's Tmolding but the comparison is not really fair if you consider that the RS and DK flat moldings were shown while slotted into the wood and there isn't a single photo of Mike's molding on actual wood. If you slot Mike's molding into wood the wood will prevent it from bulging out and it's flat.
Chompingquarters' is perfect if your slot doesn't alow enough resistance to keep the molding in place.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:08:27 PM by jinxz »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2013, 05:10:30 PM »
The stuff that I have is the stuff from Chomping quarters, (=Audiomidiman from the KLOV forums)

See here: https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1479.0

so this is the truly flat stuff.

@Jinkxz I am being "negative" over your post because it is not exactly considered good conduct when someone has offered the same (or better) stuff up for sale and suddenly someone else is advertising the same (or lesser) stuff within the same thread. It is just not a decent thing to do.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »
Yup, from T-molding.com.

You're wrong. The white "Nintendo" T-molding from T-molding.com (or any other source than Audiomidiman/Chomping Quarters) is NOT flat. It is round and now if you are going to hammer it you will get some bumps maybe, but it will stay round, there is no way you are going to get it flat because there is more plastic in the center of the profile and less on the edges.

It also has the wrong appearance in structure. I know because I first ordered a set of the rounded stuff so I can compare them one on one. Although even Chomping Quarters' Nintendo T-molding doesn't have the exact same shinyness as the original stuff (because of material used) it is a lot closer than the structured look of the other white T-moldings.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2013, 05:26:25 PM »
Here's a nice pic:

It's from this thread:

https://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1539.0
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:30:32 PM by Level42 »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2013, 05:33:25 PM »
Another picture of the repro stuff from Audiomidiman/Chomping Quarters compared to the original Nintendo stuff:

Anyway, if you're going to use 18mm panels it will be no use to get the stuff from me or Audiomidiman because you will have bare "wood" on both edges of the T-molding.

count3rkill3r

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »
I know , but i have no other options i can only choose between 12 18 or 20mm so i think the 18mm was the best choice

and t molding flat or not flat is not that very important for me

so where can i get the best service for order my t molding

grtz

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »

jinxz

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »
You're wrong. The white "Nintendo" T-molding from T-molding.com (or any other source than Audiomidiman/Chomping Quarters) is NOT flat.
You are so correct! the middle of the molding is 1,49mm thick and the edge is 1,43mm thick. I just measured it digitally. The difference is 0,06mm so you are completely right that it's not the same.
I lose, you win. Congrats

I know , but i have no other options i can only choose between 12 18 or 20mm so i think the 18mm was the best choice

and t molding flat or not flat is not that very important for me

so where can i get the best service for order my t molding

grtz
Like Ully said T-Molding.com is a great source. You should really go with the 18mm.
Regarding the slotting of the sides, you should louk out for a 'Schijfgroeffrees' of 2mm, depending on the inner thickness of the molding.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:48:50 PM by jinxz »