Author Topic: Dragon's Lair I and Dragon's Lair II  (Read 7497 times)

Giddygoon

• View Profile
Dragon's Lair I and Dragon's Lair II
« on: June 03, 2008, 01:25:04 AM »
I took this footage while filming my Outrun cab......and thought I might post it here!

I was interested to know what people think of the quality of the games images, color, sharpness, and the way it moves......everything you see is emulation first DL I and DL II running Daphne and Mame (Last cab, Street Fighter III ) I have been on some other forums and have mentioned that my cabs are using PC's with emulators and I have had some feedback from some arcade purists saying things like....Ohh, same about the emulation, or same its not the original PCB e.t.c

I had the original parts in both these cabinets but they failed. After many years I saw a way to bring them back to life, first through Matt Ownby's
Daphne Emulator and Nicola Salmoria’s Mame Emulator. Now everything is up and running again, all the machines are totally playable with improved sound and control too and way more reliable then before so I can’t understand why it’s looked down on when an arcade cabinet uses Mame of Daphne. I would only use original parts but its expensive to up keep them running that way and it just gets harder and harder to find those original parts too

Anyway mini rant over!

Check the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weJyjNvR7mY

What are your views???

P.s  The video is not top quality, it looks much shaper then that in the flesh.

amadama

• View Profile
Re: Dragon's Lair I and Dragon's Lair II
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:28:13 AM »
Thanks for posting the video.
MAME, Daphne and all the other emulators are great. They allow people access to games they would not otherwise be able to play.
I love the emulators and have a couple of cabs running them. I guess the purists don't like them though. Those people are like classic car collectors that want everything original. The MAME people are like kit car collectors who like to build their own. There's room in the world for both types of people!
You've got some great cabs there Giddygoon, enjoy them!
Alex

Giddygoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:50:41 AM »
Well-said Amadama!!!

"There's room in the world for both types of people!"

Don't get me wrong; when I find an original cabinet, fully working....... I love it!

But as some of you Dragon's Lair owners know the misery of laser disc player fault. >:

I think both Original hardware and emulation can exist side by side in the same games room and most people would still enjoy the games either way.... (:

italiandoh

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 08:42:32 PM »
Your cabs look great now and I'm sure you are very happy with them, however, speaking about the lasers only, you could have both up & running with the original hardware. Finding a Sony player for a DL2 is very easy nowadays on eBay. Both Sony LDP-1450 and Sony LDP-3600D can be used in the machine. If your machine is an Elettronolo then you would need a Philips VP380 but they are not impossible to find.
And if you find one in good conditions, with the fairly low usage that the machine will get at your house it will last several years.
The same is valid for the Atari Dragon's lair if you use the EuroDL PC conversion like Bruno did.
Just my two cents,

Matteo  :wink:

P.S.
If you have any parts of the original HW, drop me an e-mail, I'm interested.

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »
Finally I found this thread! First I want to give my opinion on the well debated topic of MAME versus original hardware: naturally it is completely up to the player and owner of the machine. To even argue about it, as I've seen many times, is like arguing what car brand you drive. Just never mind the technology behind the access hatch, and focus on *what is on the screen*.

.. unless what is on the screen isn't what the game really should look or play like. That is a completely different matter. And that is what I am curious about regarding Dragon's Lair and Space Ace.

I recently recieved a little gift from a friend in the UK, it is the Dragon's Lair 3D. There are two discs in the package and the game is so fun! I've played it all the way to the dragon, and now I'm stuck. But that's not what I aim to solve now. The matter is that I've become more and more curious about the 'real deal'. Since Dragon's Lair and Space Ace came out I've not had any opportunity to play them, mostly I've just had a brief minute walking by the games while on a trip, also involving other people so I couldn't really get away to experience the games in full. So I only remember a few moments from the demo-play.

Now I wonder what the differences are between what's available out there and the original laser disc games. What about the picture quality? DVD is newer than LD, so I would imagine that the DVD-version has better picture? On the other hand the LD discs are larger thus perhaps holding more data. And then I keep thinking about the access times, from the moment you push a button till the reaction on the screen, also the search times between various sequences. Does somebody know anything about this?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:17:33 PM by uncletom »

leeram

• View Profile
    • Eckychap
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »
Honestly, for a cracking experience get either game for PS3. It's better than the original in my opinion. The ipod version of Space Ace is also superb, as good as the arcade version and basically free (well, so cheap it might as well be)

Cheers

Lee
My Ramcade Blog ¦  My Personal Blog
E-mail: leeram@leeram.com  Twitter: @Leeram

uncletom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 12:46:54 PM »
Thank you Lee. I will see about the PS3 version then.