Author Topic: Japanese STARBLADE Saved From Oblivion  (Read 51979 times)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Japanese STARBLADE Saved From Oblivion
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
Other observations: I beat the high scores but didn't get to put my name in?  The high score table appears to be the default scores.

Is far as I can see, you can only put your name at the end of the game, when the last boss is destroyed! But, it requires a lot of credits to finish the game (at least, I speak for me  ;D). But once you put your name, you are in the high score table.
I use play it with a limit of 3 credits (continue play)... which is leading me (sometime) to the surface planet, but after that, it's a real nightmare!  :ghost:

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »
Wow man!A japanese Starblade! This is huge! :o
Congrats for all the good work!
 :spaceace:

Thank you :) :)!

Amazing work, seems like the baby starts to get alive. ;)

Thank you :) :)!

Other observations: I beat the high scores but didn't get to put my name in?  The high score table appears to be the default scores.

Is far as I can see, you can only put your name at the end of the game, when the last boss is destroyed! But, it requires a lot of credits to finish the game (at least, I speak for me  ;D). But once you put your name, you are in the high score table.
I use play it with a limit of 3 credits (continue play)... which is leading me (sometime) to the surface planet, but after that, it's a real nightmare!  :ghost:

Ahh okay, that makes sense, thanks!  I did a similar thing with Space Harrier where I try to see how far I can make it on one credit only  :D  I'll probably do the same with the limitation you set with Starblade.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:30:22 PM by ataritoobin »

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 04:15:54 AM »
I took note of the capacitors on the chassis and replaced the ones I could find locally.

This seemed to take care of the "shaking" issue!
The continuity on the degauss button checked out okay.  I re-flowed the solder joint on the degauss coil connector, but there still seems to be an issue somewhere.

I picked up a few new carriage bolts and nuts, which of course, have the size/rating stamped into the head that will need to be ground down.  I'll paint these black like the originals, but I'll have to wait a bit until the weather clears up.

Usually I try to keep every possible original piece I can, but as you see  :'(:

Looks like it came off of a railroad track!  For now the panel at least won't drop onto the players head  :D!

I checked the front speakers and couldn't get an ohm reading.  Can't imagine why:

Oddly enough this is my second Namco cockpit with bad front speakers.  I don't think I've ever come across a bad speaker in another game before.  These, of course, have been my most rusty games thus far  ;D!

I temporarily hooked in a speaker from a Nintendo cab.

UWA!   :spaceace:  So much better!  Need to get some new speakers - front sound amp/generation works fine  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:12:18 AM by ataritoobin »

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »
 :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
WOW this Has seen some moist !!!

Love the machine.....does it have metric hardware ? I assume so since its Japanese ?

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 02:47:07 PM »
That's what I call save of the decade, I think most of us wouldn't have the courage to start a resto like this! :D
Respect!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
WOW this Has seen some moist !!!

Love the machine.....does it have metric hardware ? I assume so since its Japanese ?

Thanks!  Yep, metric hardware.  Standard screws, hex bolts and such aren't too hard to find here in the US in metric, but the metric carriage bolts and security Torx screws I'll probably have to special order somewhere.  In the mean time, I used SAE carriage bolts since the ones that needed to be replaced only thread into a separate nut.

That's what I call save of the decade, I think most of us wouldn't have the courage to start a resto like this! :D
Respect!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

Thank you, Béla!  :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
Getting metric stuff in the US is a lot easier than the other way around (and rightfully so, the US is the last to keep using that *^%#£+*$? imperial system....)

Have a look at http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/ If you need Any special (small) stuff. I got all the imperial stuff for my SW yoke from them. They ship worldwide at Very reasonable rates....If they dont have What you are looking for ask them, they added a part that I requested too...

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Getting metric stuff in the US is a lot easier than the other way around (and rightfully so, the US is the last to keep using that *^%#£+*$? imperial system....)

Have a look at http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/ If you need Any special (small) stuff. I got all the imperial stuff for my SW yoke from them. They ship worldwide at Very reasonable rates....If they dont have What you are looking for ask them, they added a part that I requested too...

Very cool, thanks for the link!  I'll check them out.

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
I decided to clean up the control panel area a bit more.  Earlier I had mentioned two wires hacked into the harness that went up into the yoke, which I had assumed were to link the fire buttons together.  I was partially correct!

Upon opening the yoke I could see where the wires went under the handles.  I attempted to pull the loose harness-side wires up through the shaft when it pulled apart, revealing a different color wire.  I tried to see where the other side went and noticed this:

If I wiggled on this side of the wire, I could feel it tugging on something rattling inside of the control panel.

I decided to remove the plastic shell on the CP, and found this:

Based on the timer chip, it appears to be a home-brew adjustable rapid-fire circuit!  Evidently, this was placed inside of the machine while still in Japan.  I love finding little things like this.  Unfortunately, I think I prefer Starblade without rapid fire:

連射機能を使用: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhwlVjebl9s#t=1m26s

Not entirely sure how to handle this just yet.  Seems an inexperienced pilot must have backed Geosword into something at one point  :lol::

It's possible a mold could be made of the "post cone" from the other side, however the main separate section below would be reversed compared to the other side.  I would probably need to create a mirror image and make a mold from that.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:13:06 AM by ataritoobin »

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »
Recieved a package from Belgium today:

Thanks, Bruno!  :spaceace:

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »
The world famous Omron BG3 switches. :D
Used to replace all of them in my Vindicators part 2.
I'm really sad that I sold that one. :-[

Alpha1

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »
Very cool!

I have a box somewhere of parts of a parted out Jap Starblade. Have a lot of the plastics and other bits IIRC.

caincan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
 :o  the most incredible part is that the board pcb didnt corrupt or got rusty and ran right away

ataritoobin

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2012, 01:51:21 AM »
Very cool!

I have a box somewhere of parts of a parted out Jap Starblade. Have a lot of the plastics and other bits IIRC.

Thanks!  Oh awesome, I'll shoot you an e-mail :).

:o  the most incredible part is that the board pcb didnt corrupt or got rusty and ran right away

I couldn't believe it either, considering the sad shape of the PCB cage!