Author Topic: PS2 based Bootleg Cabinets  (Read 5113 times)

nilfisk

• View Profile
PS2 based Bootleg Cabinets
« on: November 02, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »
Hi,

During the last few months, I have been frequently stumbling across bootleg cabinets that are obviously powered by PS2 consoles, offering the console version of the arcade game they are bootleggin'.

I am aware of the fact that PS2 to Jamma adapters have been available for quite some time, but these look to be factory made, and also the games are not just timer based as with the "old" PS2 to Jamma setups, but rather the controller seems to be "remote controlled" during menus, to ensure the player will only select the menu items / game options desired by the manufacturers - quite clever.

I've taken a few pics of some of the games. Has anyone seen more of these, or has some infos on where these come from? (other than "some factory near Shenzen", which most likely is true in any case ;) ).

Cheers,

Martin

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Re: PS2 based Bootleg Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »
I would seriously consider reporting the owner of the machines if these are officially operated for money.

Yes of course, bootlegs have been around since the very first beginning of arcade games, but then it was a multi-milion dollar business.
Now, we have like 1 or 2 manufacturers of arcade videogames and these PS2 bootlegs totally kill what is left of their market.

They also screw the player: you get a standard home game experience for your money, where the original cabs are at least still different software-wise.

nilfisk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:38:12 AM »
I've seen these in various arcades, all operated for money. None locally here in Austria - rather in countries like Turkey and (my last sighting) Slovakia. I don't think authorities would be interested too much in these bootlegs, when you can buy masses of counterfeit clothing etc. in the shops next to it (which is the case in all of these countries atm).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:50:18 AM by nilfisk »

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »
Yup.

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »
I also saw some of these  in Italy in huge official arcades, I totally agree with AndrĂ©, it is a shame, that they are coin operated. :-\

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 09:56:19 AM »
OMG that is pathetic having those controllers like that ! At least the first one's have dedicated controls....

It's not entirely new of course, there were arcade machines running on Atari 800 homecomputer hardware (because these machines were so freaking good they could actually compete with real arcade hardware  ;D ;D)
However all that stuff was licensed.

Wil2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »
Did you noticed that they pimped their Need for Speed cab with a neon under the car?  ;D