Author Topic: Pac Man Battle Royale - Scratch Build Replica  (Read 30864 times)

Sjaak

• View Profile
Pac Man Battle Royale - Scratch Build Replica
« on: October 29, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I would like to introduce myself by showing you my latest build.

About half a year ago I came across an image of a Pac Man Battle Royale cabinet and really likes the design. After doing some research I decided to build a replica. Not only of the cabinet, but a fully functioning cabinet including the software.

Now the cabinet is 99.9% done. It includes all the stuff from the original, cupholders, huge screen, blinking buttons, artwork and a working version of the game.

Here are some pictures of the build:

The game started out really simple:

But after a while it started looking more and more like the original:

Click here to see a video of the game in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJrePoh4b7k

I also recreated the artwork for the control panel and marquee:

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Pac Man Battle Royale - Scratch Build Replica
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 01:50:17 PM »
Very nice !

joeks

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Art Repro
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:56:53 PM »
That is excellent work and dedication!
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com

scr33n

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »
Coollll  :-* :spaceace:
PROJECTS FROM SCRATCH:

Galaga - PacMan - Donkey Kong Red Cab - Track & Field Upright - Tempest - Burgertime - Gyruss - Defender - Track & Field Cocktail - Robotron 2084

RESTORATIONS:

Q*bert - Timber

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »
amazing work!!! did i understand this correctly that you programmed the game from scratch?

and by the way: WHO ARE YOU?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »
First of all, welcome to this board Sjaak  :)

Wooww!! Awesome work on every aspect of the project  :o! The cabinet, the artworks... and ... the software itself?  :shock:

Wanna know more pleaassse!  :P

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:25 PM »
Yooooo.....this is impressive !!! Quite Incidently I was looking at the recently added flyers of the game on the arcade flyer archive and thought it looked actually damn cool as a modern "cocktail" and was actually thinking about contacting an operator for the next Eurocade to borrow one :)

Impressive if you wrote that software, you better watch out for Bandai-Namco now :)

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:36:50 PM »
....and Sjaak sounds Very Dutch :)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »
Welcome Sjaak, and quite impressive what you are showing us.  :)

Considering that you uses the words´my latets built´, I imagine that you have done more in the past. Can you show us some pics of other projects, please? And how did you get into this great hobby?

By the way, where did you get that Galaga poster, it looks very nice?

gyruss

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:14:15 PM »
welkom hier sjaak!

Pretty impressive so far.. i also like your galaga scratch build..

AsPiC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 11:32:04 PM »
Wooooooooooowww :shock:

Give us more info ! Are you ready to share your plans, artwork and software ?

It's really great that you did ! :spaceace:

Equites

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 02:42:28 AM »
Woa!  That really blew me away, more information please brother. 

Very very impressive build.

Sjaak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »
Thank you all for the comments, that was a really warm welcome!

amazing work!!! did i understand this correctly that you programmed the game from scratch?

and by the way: WHO ARE YOU?

OK, my name is Sjaak, 44 years old and i'm from the Netherlands.

I started with the 'Arcade Life Style' about 3 years ago. My first project was a scratch build Galaga cabinet for two players. After that I built a pac man style cocktail with a 'Space Paranoids' (from the movie tron) theme.

I run a small company that builds arcade cabinet replicas and custom cabinets. I am currently working on a Galaga style cabinet and a Donkey Kong Replica.

The Pac Man Battle Royale was sort of a challenge from myself to see if I could build a working replica using only pictures, videos and information I found on the internet.

Some information about the cabinet:

• I wrote the software in C# using the XNA framework from Microsoft. The graphics for the game were done in Photoshop and I used After Effects for some of the animations in the game.
  • The game runs at 60 fps @ 1920x1080 on a P4 G860
  • I found the manual for the game online and from that I was able to guestimate most of the measurements.
  • There is a 32" inch Full HD LG television in the cabinet.
  • I used an Arduino for control of the led lights in the buttons. The arduino is controlled from the game software.
  • Instead of leg levelers I put the game on wheels, because it's very heavy.

Yooooo.....this is impressive !!! Quite Incidently I was looking at the recently added flyers of the game on the arcade flyer archive and thought it looked actually damn cool as a modern "cocktail" and was actually thinking about contacting an operator for the next Eurocade to borrow one :)

Impressive if you wrote that software, you better watch out for Bandai-Namco now :)

You can add my cabinet to the list for next year. I haven't distributed the software so I should be ok (fingers crossed)

By the way, where did you get that Galaga poster, it looks very nice?

I saw the poster somewhere and made one of my own. If you want I can send you a 70cm x 100cm (200 dpi) image for printing.

Give us more info ! Are you ready to share your plans, artwork and software ?

I don't think I can share any of this publicly, because of copyright issues.If someone actually wants to build one of these, they could contact me via PM.

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »
Wow, those extra set pictures are great. Everything I see breaths first class quality and perfectionism. And another Dutchie, which is always great. :) What is inside the Galaga custom build, and are those Ultimarc sticks? Would love to meet you during one of our events next year.

Are you more or less building custom arcade cabs on order? And what finishing material did you use for the black panels on the Pac Man Battle Royale? It has a nice smooth matt finish which might be a perfect replacement to put on the frontpanel of my Centipede cab.

Sjaak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »
Wow, those extra set pictures are great. Everything I see breaths first class quality and perfectionism. And another Dutchie, which is always great. :) What is inside the Galaga custom build, and are those Ultimarc sticks? Would love to meet you during one of our events next year.

Are you more or less building custom arcade cabs on order? And what finishing material did you use for the black panels on the Pac Man Battle Royale? It has a nice smooth matt finish which might be a perfect replacement to put on the frontpanel of my Centipede cab.

The sticks on Galaga are Mag Stik Plus sticks from Ultimarc. You can switch them from 4 to 8 way from the top.

The material for the black panels on the pacman is "acryl" paint. First 2 layers of dark grey arcly primer and then 2 or 3 layers of acryl black. The finish is really matt, but the paint is difficult to work with, because it is water based and dries very fast, so it takes some practice to avoid stripes...