Author Topic: Atari VCS 2600 Pop Store Display Kiosk - Reproduction  (Read 6449 times)

cebulba

• View Profile
Atari VCS 2600 Pop Store Display Kiosk - Reproduction
« on: October 24, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »
Hi folks,

now that I have at least all measurements, vinyl stickers and of course some games and a vcs unit and a limit of 8 weeks vacation to assemble that one -  I need your help in finding the correct Arcade buttons and sticks.

The Atari Store Demo Unit originally had a build in unit with 40+ games - and arcade hardware controls like being shown in the pictures.
Can anybody guess where I can find a similiar stick and spinner? also it would be of interest to hear your ideas for the "grey suroundings" of the controls.
Any arcade game I could take these from? any other idea? Otherwise I need to draw these in Illustrator myself.

Let me know.

Original Demo unit

Close up shot on the arcade section.

Seems like the push buttons are standard ones. The joystick looks familiar to the Atari VCS Joysticks but it's a bit different (if I won't find any other I will take the controller of the atari 2600).

A friend of mine already build one - but he wasn't able to get into the arcade controls. With your help - I may find the correct parts to make it better.

Inside the Unit I will place an Atari 2600 with the MyIDE Drive from my dutch friend mr-atari or a Multicard / Atarimax unit.

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Re: Atari VCS 2600 Pop Store Display Kiosk - Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 03:01:09 PM »
The spinners (or at least the knobs) look like the ones from the old Breakout machines. I think I have seen repros somewhere on the net....

You're right, the sticks are similiar but they seem to be round instead of 6-edged.

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »
first of all let me start by saying that i'm really REALLY looking forward to this project! the atari kiosk is probably the ultimate grail of 2600 collectors and since they are so limited these days, i'd say a scratch-built is a nice alternative!

now that I have at least all measurements, vinyl stickers and of course some games and a vcs unit and a limit of 8 weeks vacation to assemble that one -  I need your help in finding the correct Arcade buttons and sticks.

may i ask where you got all those measures from? are you planning an EXACT replica, that is also the plexi parts and stiff? of not, why not use the original joysticks that came with the kiosk?

furthermore, i've always wondered how on earth one can play those atari games with a joystick setup like that :arrow:

if i were you, i'd probably move the sticks somewhat closer to the center so that you can at least see the screen ;)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

cebulba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
Hi folks,

I owe Ully an update :-)
Time is moving fast and it's getting colder outside - need to finish this within the next weeks.
So here we go:

On to the local OBI and HAGEBAUMARKT to get some wood. I used 2 pieces of MDF sheets for the sides - and decided to take furniture wood in white colour for the inner parts.
This is available in several dimensions and doesn't need to be cut by me. Should be strong enough and I don't need to paint anything.

Wood pieces.

From my friend I got the needed Artwork already:

and - he was kindly enough to provide me with a master plate for the side cutting:

So what I learned here from scr33n's replicas - its best to make a paper draft of it ;-)

Putting this on my wood and transfer it for cutting into pieces with the compass saw.

"dad can you help me on that one - I know you really love to be a craftsman :)"

Two times and we are finished:

Now onto the T-Molding.

Damn it - seems that curve is a challenge. Haven't done T-Molding before. Seems my moulding cutter hasn't got the correct drill.

a correct one is currently in the post (no 3mm drills to be found within 100km in my area) - hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

stay tuned.

allatari.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 05:27:23 PM »
Good morning fellow Atari man. I was lucky enough twice now to have one of the Atari kiosk. I bought it way back when from a store and a year ago I sold it to a guy in Australia. I just aquired the hardest piece to reproduce. The console piece so I am copying the parts I can. I see you got a hold of the light and side stickers. How hard would it be to get my hands on a copy? Thank you, Laurence