Author Topic: 20th Anniversary Dragon's Lair Ultracade  (Read 7756 times)

Currycowboy

• View Profile
20th Anniversary Dragon's Lair Ultracade
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
What's everyones opinion on the ultracade 20th anniversary edition of DL and does the game play as good as the video disc games? what money do they normally change hands for? I am a bit restricted on size and I believe this machine is quite small.

JC Arcade

• New Jersey - Home of Barcade Jersey City
    • View Profile
Re: 20th Anniversary Dragon's Lair Ultracade
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42:02 PM »
There was a brief discussion a few years back on KLOV (US arcade forum) about this.  Jeff Kinder of the Dragon's Lair Project (www.dragons-lair-project.com) said this in the discussion thread:  "It's just ok. When they were programming this game, we tried to steer them in the right direction to make the game as close to original as possible, but it falls short, IMO. I personally like the original much better."  What issues he had specifically, he didn't say.  Someone was trying to sell one then for $1000 US, but not sure if it sold for that or not.

I would also try posting this in the "Dragon's Lair / Space Ace" subforum instead of here in B/S/T.  Might get better feedback there.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:04:20 PM by JC Arcade »
Am I really stupid/crazy enough to think I can build a machine from scratch?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:01:07 PM »
I played it at the Jason's Lair, during the DL Euro Fans Meeting 06' in UK, but also l8ter in Las Vegas.
Sure, nothing can beat the 83 original cabinet, but this 20th anniversary release -under official license- does the job well. The cabinet is not as cool (too generic!), but you can play the 'Bluth Trilogy' games (DL, DL2 & SA) in the same cabinet. Sure they are game play differences, but only true expert can point them! The score is displayed directly on the monitor, as an overlay to the game screen.
I've never seen one for sale in Europe by the way. I don't think that cabinet has been heavily imported to the arcade owners in Europe, but certainly few cabinets passed to this side of the Ocean? Jason is the only person I know who has one.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »
I would also try posting this in the "Dragon's Lair / Space Ace" subforum instead of here in B/S/T.  Might get better feedback there.

Yeps, moved!  ;)

Currycowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 11:13:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies.Bought one now and it plays well. Have Also bought a beautiful Dragons Lair II, so am in my eliment!! ;D

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:33:17 AM »
Great! Pictures now, please  ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:15:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies.Bought one now and it plays well. Have Also bought a beautiful Dragons Lair II, so am in my eliment!! ;D

cool! where did you find them?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Currycowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
Posting pics shortly. Bought them from Jason (Finny) read post below this re finny.

Currycowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
Pics now up in new post.