Author Topic: Daphne Loader  (Read 26951 times)

garykagan

• View Profile
Daphne Loader
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:14:28 AM »
just wondering if anyone out there could seed the roms_dl.torrent files that Daphne is trying to load.  I am getting closer to getting this to work, it has downloaded everything it needs, verified the DVD disk and the last step is to get the latest roms (I hope).  I already went to DLP and downloaded the roms manually, but it seems that the Daphne loader wants to do it again.  Thoughts?  Is there a way around this?  Also, I read the FAQ about getting the framefiles from DLP, but I am having trouble finding those on that site.  thanks for any help, gk

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Daphne Loader
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 07:18:29 AM »
I've done the installation several times and it was always without any problem... I'm using the same DVD version (from DL20th).

Mhhhh... at this step, only the Daphne Team can tell you what the emulator is trying to do/download... and why it doesn't work 4 you at this step  :-[. Please see with the official support right here.

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 09:39:22 AM »
just wondering if anyone out there could seed the roms_dl.torrent files that Daphne is trying to load.  I am getting closer to getting this to work, it has downloaded everything it needs, verified the DVD disk and the last step is to get the latest roms (I hope).  I already went to DLP and downloaded the roms manually, but it seems that the Daphne loader wants to do it again.  Thoughts?  Is there a way around this?  Also, I read the FAQ about getting the framefiles from DLP, but I am having trouble finding those on that site.  thanks for any help, gk

Check where are located the framefile and the mpegs like this:

My Dragon's Lair framefile is called dl_framefile.txt, and here opening the file:

e:\daphne\DLDVDROM\

150   dl-slates.m2v
323   dls00.vob.m2v
1366   dls01.vob.m2v
2044   dls01d1.vob.m2v
2085   dls01d2.vob.m2v
2133   dls01d3.vob.m2v
2213   dls01b.vob.m2v
2297   dls02.vob.m2v
I use the same directory for mpegs and framefile.txt
It' s very important that You use the name of the directory or files that Daphne search.
In Daphne menu, You can take a look in the "File/View DAPHNE log file (Daphne_log.txt) to
 know what part is missing.
For the roms, go on D-L-P tech section and here You can find all roms set.
I put every roms set on Rom directory, Daphne take out automatically.
Remember to set Daphne to use the local mpegs not internet, otherwise You can't play any games
 before download the mpegs.

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:38:59 PM »
"Remember to set Daphne to use the local mpegs not internet, otherwise You can't play any games
 before download the mpegs."

Where is the setting to change this - it is not on the configure screen of the Daphne Loader.  Did you manually change this somewhere?  thanks!

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 04:57:13 PM »
Where is the setting to change this - it is not on the configure screen of the Daphne Loader.  Did you manually change this somewhere?  thanks!

For example You choose Dragon's Lair: You can press Donate!, Start or Configure.
On Configure, the 1st menu is Game / Laserdisk.
You can choose the Game Version (based on which rom You have) for example European.
Laserdisk Type European Philips (PAL 1983) default value and, near You find Configure Laserdisk.
In this submenu You have three choiche: the first is for use mpegs.
Remember to select on Virual Laserdisk Player option "No, I will install any missing video/audio files manually" and on the request choose "cancel", then give the path to the framefile location using Browse (like this: E:\Daphne\dldvdrom\dl_framefile.txt).  ;) ;) ;)
If You have a Laserdisk player, a Laserdisk and a serial cable between the pc and the laserplayer, the second option is the best: You have the real Arcade Experience.  :D
The third option is for test only.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:59:44 PM by flip971 »

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:21:48 PM »
ok - will try that tonight.  That should resolve the download issues and mapping to my local drive.  Last issue will be to find the framefiles.   I did download all the rom files from DLP and stick them in the roms directory manually.  My guess is those are the latest, so I should be good there.  Are the framefiles hidden somewhere on the DLP site?

flip971

• View Profile
    • Retrogame
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 05:37:25 PM »
From the Daphne site FAQ:

Q: Where do I get framefiles?

A: DaphneLoader will now automatically download framefiles for Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair 2, Space Ace, and Thayer's Quest. From within DaphneLoader, select one of those four games, then click Start. Follow the prompts.

Or try http://www.laserarchive.com/ddl/ to get all framefile ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:39:41 PM by flip971 »

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »
From the Daphne site FAQ:

Q: Where do I get framefiles?

A: DaphneLoader will now automatically download framefiles for Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair 2, Space Ace, and Thayer's Quest. From within DaphneLoader, select one of those four games, then click Start. Follow the prompts.

Or try http://www.laserarchive.com/ddl/ to get all framefile ;)

Yes, yes, I know DaphneLoader will do it automatically, but that was my problem from the getgo.  The files are torrents apparently, and they are currently not seeded, so they are not available.  I will try the other approach on the laserarchive site.  thx,  gk

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 04:44:31 AM »
looks like the connection went through and I have all the files and it works now without the disk.  thanks for all your help!

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 05:32:47 AM »
On to DL2 now.  I have it working.  Anyone know how to remove the text from the screen during the game play?  I went into the service with the #9 button and made it free play, tested tones, etc.  but no where to remove the text so far

oh - space ace is working to, very cool
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:46:22 AM by garykagan »

MacDLSA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 04:34:43 AM »
Hi there

[ well ... if there's still anyone who's trying to download mpegs and the other files from DaphneDownLoader then just ask , and I'll do my best to keep seeders "on" to increase your dwnld speed  ;) ! ]

Let me take two of these lines to explain that it could be better to download ALL files directly from DDL , roms included .
Yeah , you could get them from D-L-P , too , but ( I say for "normal" users ) it's just a waste of time , 'cause DDL already does it ( roms,framefiles,sounds and the other files but the mpegs will take a short time to dwnld / update because they all weigh few Mbytes ) !

flip971>
"150   dl-slates.m2v
323   dls00.vob.m2v
1366   dls01.vob.m2v
2044   dls01d1.vob.m2v
2085   dls01d2.vob.m2v
2133   dls01d3.vob.m2v
2213   dls01b.vob.m2v
2297   dls02.vob.m2v
..."
If it is your Dragon's Lair framefile then you have NOT the "official" Daphne game , 'cause it's the "typical" framefile of a "multi-files" DL , maybe obtained with the "DVD2Daphne" process from the DVD-Video ( or ROM ) or other way ...
Daphne official Dragon's Lairs have MUCH better quality ( they're CAPTUREs of real laserdiscs ) and run without any issue , while multiple files DL may have some problems when played with "Enhanced" U.S. romsets .
Also if you are european and/or want to play the "Euro" (Atari rev. D1 or D.2 ) or the Sidam/Italian versions you need the PAL mpeg , that could be downloaded ONLY from DDL .

garykagan> heh ... you was near to the target ... keep pushed service button ("9") then hit on "1 player start" ("1") to access main menu ( this will work with EVERY romset choosen ... and , of course , works with an original laserdisc , too ... ) , then press "sword" button 3 times to have access at the 4th page of the menu , in which are shown the "Average play time" and ...
"DIFFICULTY 1 to 4" .
You said your game has hints on the first level : ok , then I think the difficulty level is set on "0" ( yeah , despite it's written "1 to 4" it is possible set it to "0" ! ) . So , using "left" or "right" you can change difficulty level : try setting it to "1" ( 2 is the arcade default ) and ... let's go play withOUT any hints !
Marco"MacDLSA", Daphne Team
irc[dot]enterthegame[dot]com , channels #Daphne / #Lasergames

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 06:00:59 AM »
thanks for the tips, I will try this to fix DL2.  As for "seeding" I've been having trouble getting the other Daphne games as there are no seeders!  Gunna have to keep hunting.  I didn't know there were other laser disk games out there and I gotta see how they play...

gk

garykagan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 06:10:39 AM »
yep - that did it.  I changed the difficulty and the messages went away.   thanks a lot!

MacDLSA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
NP
I hope that "keep hunting" wouldn't mean "dwnld with P2P prgrms" ...
Just tell what are the games you'd like to have and I'll see if someone will keep his PC/server "ON" for seeding files ... FROM DaphneDownLoader , of course !
Bfn
Marco"MacDLSA", Daphne Team
irc[dot]enterthegame[dot]com , channels #Daphne / #Lasergames