Author Topic: :: SEGA ASTRO CITY :: Road Trip for a new Asian babe @ home ^_^  (Read 91465 times)

caincan

• View Profile
Re: :: SEGA ASTRO CITY :: Road Trip for a new Asian babe @ home ^_^
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
 :!: another very good option..  keep the astro for horizontal shmups in jamma 15khz.   and if you want a second cab,  go for a "naomi universal cab" as a second japanese cab.   because..

1. they dont cost much nowadays.  about 350€ !!  (you just have to "chop"/ cut the legs  and it becomes nearly as this picture of "naomi "new" net city")
2. the monitor is 31K.  so it's VGA ready.   (the xbox360 has a direct Vga output  with the good cable)
3. add a hackpad too.
4. ready to enjoy good Tate shmups in hi-resolution.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:26:58 PM by caincan »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »
That is an easy one. I noticed you have the Nanao MS8 chassis (of course, Astro city's are standard equipped with them, a great chassis, just like the MS9 in the New Astro's). On the last picture you see two connectors side by side, and a plug (with yellow, orange, red, brown wiring) in one of them. Just put the plug in the other, free connector and you are good to go. Oh, and your image is nor mirrored, it is flipped.

I've just done the operation, I was expected a 'flipped' picture just by changing the plug as you described, but I got this  :arrow:

Well, I presume it's now just a matter of sync pot' to tune? Not here, under the panel (only for geometry/colors stuff)...  :arrow:

There are additional monitor potentiometers I can reach via the coin door...

...but which one is related to the sync ?  ???

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
The pot you're looking for is on the other side of all the pots on the chassis .. look for something called "15 khz". 

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2012, 10:19:05 PM »
:!: another very good option..  keep the astro for horizontal shmups in jamma 15khz.   and if you want a second cab,  go for a "naomi universal cab" as a second japanese cab.   because..

1. they dont cost much nowadays.  about 350€ !!  (you just have to "chop"/ cut the legs  and it becomes nearly as this picture of "naomi "new" net city")
2. the monitor is 31K.  so it's VGA ready.   (the xbox360 has a direct Vga output  with the good cable)
3. add a hackpad too.
4. ready to enjoy good Tate shmups in hi-resolution.

is a possibility. But:

1. they are cosmetically not the best looking ones, even chopped, IMHO, especially standing next to an Astro City
2. the 31K monitor in the Naomi cabs are not the best ones around, and for some reason have very often (heavy) burn in problems,
3. Hi-resolution means in this case 640x480, which is still awesome.

I know what is causing this, it is because of a bad advise from me. Just put the switch back in the original position, because what you did was switching the monitor to 24K and because the game pcb´s video output is 15K, it isn´t and it will never sync.

My mistake, I told you that this was the flip connector.  :oops: On the good side, you now know how to switch to 24K.  :)

But I also have the real solution for flipping the image, you have to flip two connectors on the monitor chassis, just scroll down this page for a clear picture (I saw that you have the connectors on your board also): http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16156

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »
Ops!  :o

Ok, I'll revert the switch operation (24 -> 15). Switching x/y yoke polarity sounds more logical.  8)
But not sure if I'll do after all... it seems that only the Namco boards use that specific orientation. I just wanted to test few of them, they are the only jamma boards I have here ::)

caincan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »
1. they are cosmetically not the best looking ones, even chopped, IMHO, especially standing next to an Astro City
2. the 31K monitor in the Naomi cabs are not the best ones around, and for some reason have very often (heavy) burn in problems,
3. Hi-resolution means in this case 640x480, which is still awesome.
;)
1. if people pay ~1500€ for a Newnetcity  there's certainly matter of her sexy modern good looking ;)
2. just have to get the good opportunity. But there are some wide/narrow problems for sure
3. yep it's old matter to say hi-res  but for arcade games it is kind of hi-res.  and you can still plug-in quite easily a PC setup..

you can use the 24K medium resolution of the astro with 15khz jamma... there exists some adapter to improve the quality
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:03:59 PM by caincan »

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »

you can use the 24K medium resolution of the astro with 15khz jamma... there exists some adapter to improve the quality

indeed: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33659

I once had it, but it was too much hassle for me to switch the monitor (chassis) each time between 15K / 24K when changing between 15K game pcb's and the 360 for instance. I know that there was a homemade extention harnas made by emphatic, so you didn't have to crawl inside the cab anymore  ;D

But that harnas didnt work on my MS9 chassis, so I sold the Ultracade converter. But it is a great device with great results. Expensive however.

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
My New Astro City has an MS9-29A (rather than MS9-29S).  The difference being that instead of that white 15/25 plug, I have a relay with a bunch of extra caps/resistors.  The chassis auto-senses the frequency, and switches accordingly.

So for me, it makes sense to have a UVC (for 31k games) + MAME PC for 15k goodness via JPAC/ArcadeVGA.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2013, 08:39:44 AM »
Well, finally tried an MGCD (dreamcast to jamma) converter :

Very disappointed about it!

- Not a 'plug & play' jamma wiring : need some rewiring, so what the hell they call it jamma?!
- OSD I can't hide! I'm sure it's possible but no documentation on my model, tried googling  but no luck...
- Not compatible with most of games, and so... working 'in time' mode shit!
- The worse : picture definition is ok but a 'wave' slowly moves on the screen and deforms the picture...ugly as hell!

My conclusion : Do not use this! I sent it back to the seller...

Damn! Few guys here & there told me it wasn't the good solution for playing Dreamcast games on Astro, they were right...

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »
Pity.  :(

Yes, I know that these things stink. They are pretty cheap, and it looks like a nice all in one solution, but the quality is stinky also.

Why not check out Viletim´s stuff (see the SHMUP forum). Yes, more expensive, but much better quality and much more flexibility (with Viletim´s PS2 breakout board and the everywhere available PS2 to other console controller adapters you can hook up a lot of consoles to your NAC).

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
ASUTOROSHIT:D

strykr

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 09:54:18 AM »
Pity.  :(

Yes, I know that these things stink. They are pretty cheap, and it looks like a nice all in one solution, but the quality is stinky also.

Why not check out Viletim´s stuff (see the SHMUP forum). Yes, more expensive, but much better quality and much more flexibility (with Viletim´s PS2 breakout board and the everywhere available PS2 to other console controller adapters you can hook up a lot of consoles to your NAC).

I second the viletim, very happy with it, I use it for 360, dreamcastand ps2 guncon games and it works flawlessly.
Its all about the scanlines.....

leonk

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
What you need is a 31khz -> 24khz or 15khz video scalar.  It will work with all VGA input and give you the most pixel perfect display.  You can then use a different solution for controls. 

More info here:  http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »
Well, finally rotated the screen to the horizontal position for trying a pcb I always wanted : XEVIOUS 3D/G  :-*  :arrow:

Now, I also would like to play VIEWPOINT (neogeo). I need a jamma mvs slot, the game and that it?