Author Topic: My Dragon's Lair cab  (Read 11136 times)

Derezz

• View Profile
My Dragon's Lair cab
« on: September 16, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »
Hi guys,

Been lurking for a while, so thought it was time to post a pic of my grail cab I've just recently obtained - a fully restored, US Cinematronics Dragon's Lair cab.

The original cab was bought as a bit of a shed,in 2009, repaired, sanded, fully re-vinyled, new wiring loom throughout.
New repro control panel overlay
New buttons & joystick
New repro top marquee (signed by Don Bluth & Gary Goldman)
Limited edition side art, again signed by Don Bluth, Gary Goldman, Rick Dyer & John Pomeroy
Ltd edition DL laserdisc with extra footage.
Recapped original CRT monitor from 1984.

Spares:-
Sony Laserdisc players (I have x6 of them)
NOS original DL laserdisc
DL PCB
NTSC decoder card
Repro CPO
Space Ace laserdiscs x2
Space Ace pcb

The game plays just the way I remember it, and is absolutely mint condition. I love it!
Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:28:27 PM by derezz »

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: My Dragon's Lair cab
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:12:11 PM »
fabulous!!! over the last few months my desire to own an original dragon's lair cabinet has grown exponentially. i'm still mourning the one i missed for 500 euros when is started collecting a few years ago.

anyway, congrats on that nice catch, is there an interesting story to tell behind it. and btw - who are you? :P 8) how about a short introduction?
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Derezz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »
Thanks! And Sorry, I forgot to say  ;D My name is Andy, and I'm from the UK. I've been collecting pcb's and games since 1988. My first was a jamma cab with commando installed. I've managed to get the pcbs I've really been after, but up until a month or so, dragons lair had eluded me! I got it from another collector here in the UK. Really great guy. I was really lucky to find a DL in this condition.

Look forward to reading more posts on this great forum. There's some awesome stuff on here.  :)

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »
Hi Derezz and welcome to DLF!  :)

Wow, your cabinet looks in very great condition! ...and you have a lot of spare parts!
Using Sony players in your cabinet? It means you're using the "Hi-Tech Card"?
In your childhood you most probably played the Atari Euro version if you're in UK, no? I don't think the US 'Cinematronic' was imported in UK?
Whatever, have fun here  8)

Derezz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 07:25:04 PM »
Thanks! Yes I used to be more familiar with the Atari euro version, as those were the ones I played on when i was younger. With the US version the scoreboard and beeps took some getting used to.  and yes I'm using the hi tech card with the Sony players  :) good to have lots of spares, keeping this cab alive is very important.
Still, I love it and it really is immaculate! I was very lucky to get this! Glad you like it  :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:28:09 PM by derezz »

Russ J

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »
superb Dragons Lair  8) 8)

Would love to own one as i were a big fan of them BITD....Played both versions in Leeds (The first version i saw and played was the Cinematronics version in the 'Starlight Rooms' arcade that was in Leeds,the Atari version i played in the 'Original Penny Arcade' in Leeds....

I much prefered the Cinematronics version to the Atari version as the most annoying thing with the Atari version was the 'blue score screen' that showed up in between the levels

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:28 PM »
I much prefered the Cinematronics version to the Atari version as the most annoying thing with the Atari version was the 'blue score screen' that showed up in between the levels

Its reminds me what I thought at the time when I played Dragon's Lair regarding the famous Atari 'blue score' screen  : "how can this wonderful and 'so technology advanced' arcade game can display the score 'worst' than my ZX81 could do, and the other hand display so wonderful cartoon graphics?"  :?
It was a mystery for me at the time  :D Hey, I was 10 or 12 years old...  :P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:35:40 PM by DarthNuno »

Derezz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 10:17:01 PM »
Call me mad, but I actually liked the blue screen  :roll: It was such a contrast between the score and the game. I do like the cinematronics version though, but prefer the beeps on the Atari version! Can't have it all though  ;D
BTW love your SW upright Russ  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:18:45 PM by derezz »

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »
Call me mad, but I actually liked the blue screen  :roll: It was such a contrast between the score and the game.

If so, call me mad too! The blue screen version is also my favorite one... simply because it was the version I played back in the days 8)

Derezz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 10:29:01 PM »
If so, call me mad too! The blue screen version is also my favorite one... simply because it was the version I played back in the days 8)
Awesome! ...and up until the other month, I hadn't seen a Dragon's Lair in the flesh, for 25 years. Now I'm lucky enough to own one. It's damn hard though, must be set on uber difficult. I'll have to check to dip switches. I get to the final 'sword' move, and mess it up each time. Guess my timings off ;)