Author Topic: [Superully's Roadtrip] Into the Wild  (Read 45728 times)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Southern Part of Germany
    • View Profile
Re: [Superully's Roadtrip] Into the Wild
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
i will most likely be going back there coming tuesday. hell, i could even bring that space zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap to eurocade, i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter that there are only 4 (out of 6) pcbs still present in the cab ... ;)

and in case oll is coming to eurocade, we might try his pcb setup!!! 8)
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
Oll won't be making it to Eurocade this year, regretfully.  :'(

Space Zap is one brilliant game and a very cool little cabinet. If I had the space......
It has this elementary simple gameplay but it is so well balanced that you want to keep trying again and again.

For those who played the great Cosmic Arc by Activision on the Atari 2600, this is where they got the idea from....

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »

superully's roadtrip into the wild continues ...

as you can imagine, i had to return to that place again and because it is of no interest to me anymore now, i can reveal the location and the story behind the building which once was a pizzeria and a disco under one roof. when the owner of the disco died, the whole place "died with him" and has been abandoned ever since. the disco itself is still in pretty good shape (some inside pics of it later), but the pizzeria (the place where the games are were ;) is in the condition you've seen on the previous pictures!

here's a photo of the entire building (still looking nice from the outside)

the disco section

nice oriental-style entrance

the old bus stop for the disco still exists ...

... so let's stop our "bus" right here!

once again, i am being accompanied by my best friend charlotte - my offical roadtrip photographer! let's get back into the bus ...

... and cruise around the building ...

... to the rear entrance ...

... where the new owner (the brother of the late disco owner) and his son are already waiting for us!

let's not waste any time and start with the "easy" cabinets - the ones which are located on the ground floor. first up: galaxy ranger!

first game out!!! btw, this is not a game i'm going to keep for myself, i'm bringing this along for my austrian arcade-buddy alex (after all, his name is hidden in the title: gALAXy ranger :P)

a quick inspection to take out any loose parts and see if everything's secured

ok, let's load it up!

we quickly realize that the game is too high to stand up inside the van because of the way we have loaded it ...

... therefore we have to put it on its back again (for now)!

next in line: galaxian (another "alex game")

click on the following picture to watch us load galaxian into the van :arrow:

two down - three to go!

transporting those heavy old games doesn't come without a price - the owner suffers a "severe" leg injury!

that was the easy part - the fun is about to start on the staircase of doom

to be continued ...
all i need is ... PONG - and a select few others: TOUCH ME, DRAGON'S LAIR, JOUST, ROBOTRON, MR DO, SAN FRANCISCO RUSH THE ROCK!!!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 07:11:15 PM »
And the adventure has begun !  ;D

Is it just a word joke in gALAXian, or is it also going to him ?

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 08:43:06 PM »

LOL ! That reminds me of the Eurocade crew loading the LL and Berzerk the wrong way around EXAXTLY like that.....once I had the Berzerk back on the lift I watched and KNEW that it _should_ fit inside....and the way to do it is first push it forward and then turning it in....there is a risk for the lower front area when doing this of course....but we did the LL laying down on getting it to Eurocade. We had to drive three times from my home, back we did it in just two runs ;)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 09:13:21 PM »
This place has a great atmosphere, some pics from the golden ages would be priceless.

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »
Other French guys were there...

see their road trip here8)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2012, 09:56:28 PM »
hehe, they took what was left there (apart from the universal cabs) :lol:. i saw that stargate as well when i was there the second time around, the owner told me he had found another cab hidden somewhere in the back. this is me having a first look at the game from afar :arrow:

the cab had been stored upside down, had nothing inside apart from the power supply (if i remember correctly) and was in really bad shape. because of that (and because of the fact that our van was already full), i decided NOT to get it and didn't regret it. the owner told me that some guys from france would come up soon to get the rest of the games, which means everything in there has been saved!!!

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
Hah...nice....

That van looks pretty familiar by the way ;) ;) ;)

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »

let's return to superully's roadtrip into the wild ...

before we continue with the cabs, let's inspect the staircase of doom a little bit closer. here are the photos from my first visit again!

you remember that the lower section of the stairs had already collapsed ...

... so in order to bridge the gap we installed a pallet! it can easily carry one person, but will it support the weight of three people carrying a 100+ kilogram arcade cabinet?

if it doesn't, we'll simply fall down into the cellar underneath! :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o

there's only one way to find out: TEST IT!!! the first game we're going to bring down from upstairs is a "secret fan favorite": space zap!

click on the following picture to watch us carry it down the staircase of doom :arrow:

a piece of cake - or not! first game down, so let's get it out into the open

check out that mirrow on the top of the cab!

fits in nicely!!!

note the additional door that we "installed" to get the games into the van more easily! ;)

after loading the space zap, we realize that we won't be able to get the remaining games into the van the way we had planned it, therefore we have to stand up the galaxy ranger!

click on the following picture to watch a 180 on a videogame (and me sweeping the van) :arrow:

up next: midway's space encounters - a game with fantastic stroboscope effects! if you've never seen it in action, you should check it out here!

sorry for the somewhat blurry pictures, but the lighting conditions were getting worse and charlotte decided against using a flash for this one, but i'm sure you get the picture of what's happening ;)

man, that was quite difficult and exhausting!

out it goes

as if one injury wasn't enough :P

that game is in below-average condition, but it had to be saved! 8)

my favorite picture of the day - fabulous shot, charlotte! :spaceace:

in goes number four :arrow:

one final return to the staircase of doom! we've saved the best (and the heaviest / bulkiest) for last - can you already guess the game?

fortunately, i'll never have to walk those stairs again, but i'll forever have "fond memories" of them because of those videos that charlotte shot!

click on the following picture to watch "the tank going down" :arrow:

we're using the same technique we've used for the space encounters to get the cabinet out of the wild into the open!

nope, that's not a tear of joy in the corner of my eye, that's PURE SWEAT!!! i've never been that sweaty and dirty in my whole life!!!

as you might know, i already have a battlezone in my collection, BUT it is in much worse condition than this one (bad sideart, broken corners, rusty control panel - the usual suspects). my idea is to keep the new one and convert the old cabinet into a red baron (if i manage to source the parts). repro artwork is going to be available soon, the problem will be to find a boardset AND an open face kit to complete the conversion. but i'm in no hurry - time is on my side!

speaking of which: time to load the final game into the van!

because of the condition the cabinet is in, it's getting some extra protection!

c'mon - push!!!

just a few more centimeters ...

and we're done - literally!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

to celebrate the occasion, charlotte shot a short VERTICAL VIDEO for all those vertical video lovers out there! :-*

click on the following picture to watch it! :arrow:

well, i've said above "we're done" - i lied!!! :twisted: there's one final mission we have to complete - something else i need to get from that place!!! for that, we have to walk through the disco ...

... which you can still rent for private parties ...

... into another storage area which consists of two rooms: a small anteroom ...

... loaded with tons of musical equipment (and other crap) ...

... and a much larger second room also loaded with countless stuff ...

... where parts of the roof have already collapsed (see the giant beam in the background?)

can you already guess what i'm here for? i'm sure you can! there's one thing that totally stands out in those pictures - and that's those original totally 70s orange lamps hanging from the ceiling!

unfortunately, the ladder we have at our disposal is only long enough to get a few of them down ...

.. but isn't that a nice "bouquet of lamps" i've picked (i got six in total)? i'm so happy with them, it's the icing on the (roadtrip) cake for me! i might go back to get a few more - having them hang down in a future gameroom between the rows of games would certainly look amazing!!!

with this catch in hands, i walk off into the sunset!!!

Muerto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2012, 10:08:55 PM »
Great report Ully! , sooo envious about that Space Zap!!!!!!! :spaceace: :spaceace: :spaceace:

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Atari enthusiast from eastern germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
haha, very nice roadtrip Ully!!! :lol: :spaceace:

but, what a maneuver. i feel with you, that was much harder than a normally roadtrip... i hope you lost not so many blood. :wink:

Superully

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »
i hope you lost not so many blood. :wink:

i didn't, because those are not my feet ;)

TimePilot

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Atari enthusiast from eastern germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 10:32:57 PM »
i hope you lost not so many blood. :wink:

i didn't, because those are not my feet ;)
ha, cool!!! :P ;D ;)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »
It is so cool, that you put videos between the pics, it is a real documentary. :D
Your lamps look awesome! ;)