Author Topic: Moon Crest by Zaccaria  (Read 30871 times)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Moon Crest by Zaccaria
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »
Thanks to Laschek I might soon lay my hands on one of the greatest games ever, Moon Crest (licenced by Zaccaria, original known as Moon Cresta).

Moon Cresta is one of the few games that were available back in the early eighties in my hometown, and I played it a lot. Thankfully I have an original PCB and I still play the game now and then in a Jamma (Candy) cab. but nothing beats playing a great game in an original cabinet, and that's why I'm very happy with this one:

As you can see it's a beautiful cab and it seems to be in great shape (I'm getting real fond of these Italian Styled cabs since my Zaccaria Vanguard is almost done). I'm anxious to see the inside.

The seller and I agreed to a deal and if everyhing goes as planned, Friday afternoon will be road trip day.  :)

In the meantime I would like to get some more information about this particular game and cabinet, but the www source is sparse with it. Anyone any additional info?

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
Re: Moon Crest by Zaccaria
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »
Congratulation, it's a great game! I also have great memories on that one.
Very hard to play with the three ships 'in one'... Moon Cresta rulez!

:spaceace:

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:55:10 PM »
Wow! I thought I bought one of these a long time ago on Ebay DE - only to find out a couple of weeks ago it's a stock Quasar with the wrong marque :(

Moon Cresta is one of my all time fave games, too. Hoped to find the gorgeous Nichibutsu Japanese cab but one has never surfaced. The glass and control panel are interesting - shame they went with L/R buttons rather than a joystick. Please scan in the CP when you get a chance :)

Can't wait to see what the insides are like. Lovely find, dude.

Paul.

ZZZ

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:55:30 PM »
Congrats Erik!

Looks in very good shape !

Zacc = always +1   ;D  :spaceace: :spaceace:

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »
Please scan in the CP when you get a chance :)

I think that is an obligation, isn't it?  ;D

I will ask EtiĆ©nne to scan it, I'm sure he is happy to do so.  ;)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:46:25 AM »
Congrats again Erik for the find of the century, also cant wait to see the interior!!! :spaceace:
Too bad, that the guys on KLOV don't publish our pics too often, this should definitely be there.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »
Just ask Muerto to submit the pics, and they will get there  ;)

As for the scan, sure, i can bring the scanner to EC12, but it needs to be removed from the CP to make the scan, so i dont know how and what, but i think you can bring it along separate if you decide to bring the BW

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 09:38:32 AM »
Congrats again Erik for the find of the century....
Mmmmmm, to speak in Zacc terms I would definitly say that your Space Pirate is the find of the century because that one has dedicated artwork all over plus it is a vector plus it is a license of Cinematronics, plus it had the ultra rare Hantarex BW vector monitor......but the Moon Crest is a good second because it's not listed on KLOV and there is not even a flyer on the arcade flyer archive....

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »
Congrats Erik! I was very interested in that, too but I couldn't pick it up in a decent time and a person I've contacted to pick it up for me couldn't store it :(

At least it goes to a real collector and won't end mamed! :)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »
Congrats again Erik for the find of the century....
Mmmmmm, to speak in Zacc terms I would definitly say that your Space Pirate is the find of the century because that one has dedicated artwork all over plus it is a vector plus it is a license of Cinematronics, plus it had the ultra rare Hantarex BW vector monitor......but the Moon Crest is a good second because it's not listed on KLOV and there is not even a flyer on the arcade flyer archive....
Good point, have to agree! ;)

ckong

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 08:52:19 PM »
......  Space Pirate ...... has dedicated artwork all over .....

Hm, is that the case? I thought that Space Pirate and Space fortress share the same side art and bezel.

Anyway, your post triggered me to do some more search about the art of Moon Crest.  :)  Not much to find though.

There are more cabs with the same side art image as moon Crest, for instance

and

But with both cabs there is no art connection with the marqee, but there is with Moon Crest:

Notice also that the color scheme of the Moon Crest side art is different than with Phoenix and Quasar

This could suggest that Moon Crest was first, and for ease of use Phoenix and quasar, also 1980's games, got the same side art as Moon Crest, with a diffrent color scheme and no matching Marguee art.
Or Moon Crest was not first, but for some reason the Zaccaria co. decided to put a matching Marquee on the game.

Fascinating.

And the bezel also remains somewhat of a mystery. Both Space Fortress and Space Pirat have the same bezel on the official flyer,and the above shown Moon Crest has it also. Again, all three games are from 1980. But the bezel has a specific kind of twinkling star, which is not on the side art of Space Fortress and Space Pirat, but it is on the side art of Moon Crest.

The CPO of both Space Pirat and Moon Crest show these same twinkling stars.

You guys might think `bloody hell, what is he babbling about', but I find the Moon Crest cab very mysterious and also very beautiful.

Well, one night sleep and then I will see the cab wit my own eyes.  ;D

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:56:42 PM by ckong »

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
I never noticed that there was a colour scheme difference (I knew that there were two side arts from that era - the Fortess art and the Quasar side art - seemingly used interchangeably). I have a few of the Quasar artwork style. I wonder if I have both colour schemes...
Paul.
ZZZ

Robinholland

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »
Very nice cab  :)

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I also saw that colour difference, but I thought that is just a bad quality photo. :oops:
This cab is already very, very interesting and we didn't see the interior yet!!! :spaceace:

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 11:26:40 PM »
Well....the shooting guy in a space suit doesn't seem to make sense on either of the three games it is used on.

Something else to consider is that Quasar is (more or less) the only original Zacc game (although developed by an Italian company called Zelco) so maybe it was first used on that one.

However......looking at the color scheme of the Moon Crest I could say it was the original. Look at the planet/sun on the bottom left....it looks like a star/sun with the MC color scheme with the yellow and red nicely combined, it looks like a moon or planet with the (blue-ish) color scheme of the other games.

All in all I prefer the MC version. I like this philosophizing about what happened during the production of these games etc..... why certain decisions were made etc.