Author Topic: :: Nintendo's Sheriff : Wanted - Dead Or Alive... *Far West RoadTrip inside*  (Read 85319 times)

Robinholland

• View Profile
Damn  :'(

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
Too bad but I wonder if that switch inside the panel is the original at all, it is so freaking huge ....

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Saw this pic on a Japanese auction site for a coin changer.  Nice shelf  :'( :-\

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
OMG that hurts....

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Lair Fans / Arcade LifeStyle
...and back on this. That one is still waiting its turn in my 'half repair area"  :arrow:

It's time to plug that cabinet and see what's wrong, but first, a rapid visual inspection. First, the identity of that cow boy!  :arrow:

Inside...wow... the boards are really clean  :-*  :arrow:

The 'double board' game pcb :

The sound board :

The monitor on its back, behind the metal plate :

And finally the power supply :

Ok, let's plug the cow boy for the first time  :arrow:

As expected, not working!  :-\  :arrow:

At power on, there is the typical Nintendo sound/cry, almost the same than what you can hear when powering a DK or DK jr for example! Presuming the board is still alive somehow?
But not activity on the screen. Tried to credit the game, start a game... but there's absolutely no reaction on screen and not even a single sound?! As I said, the only sign of life is the 'screaming' sound at power on.

Next step, check all the voltage from the power supply, and check all the wirings...

There no test mode apparently?

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Yes, i would start by measuring the volages to the board first
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Ok, let's measure ALL the voltages in there!

Well, everything looks good to me. I don't think a 4,8V instead 5V should really be a problem?
Also checked all the cables, they are all connected.
So the problem should be on the PCB side? Possibly the monitor too? Because I see no activity, absolutely nothing.
The only 'sign of life' is the typical 'scream/sound' during the power on  :arrow:

(at approx 24 seconds in this video)

Any suggestion would be much appreciated  :?

baritonomarchetto

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
Voltages are good: 4.8V instead of 5.0 MAY make a diference, but you should at least see something on the screen (garbage or a resetting screen).

Check that your video signal cables have continuity to the monitor connector.

The monitor works, even if you can see some raster problem (probably "screen", generally modified by the lower pot on the flyback, is set too high).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:48:04 AM by baritonomarchetto »
"A true Gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved"

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Well, I tried to plug to game, without the monitor connector, and basically it gives the same result on screen but with a lost of syncro.
So still hard to say if the board is trying to output something!  :? It would be also good to know if the monitor here works the same like other Nintendo games, I means if it handles an inverted picture coming from the board?

ataritoobin

• View Profile
Any idea what type of monitor is in there?  I had a Toei GM-20 chassis the had the same symptoms (synced retrace lines when plugged in, unsynced when unplugged, regardless of the signal coming in).  Unfortunately I sold it before I figured out the issue  ::)

Also if it's black and white, it should be a regular composite video signal which you could hook the PCB output into an RCA port of a TV to test, or likewise, plug a composite video source into the monitor to test it.

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
I have been following your thread with envy as I would love to own this machine .
But I would like to help you get this going if I can as I have some rare Nintendo machines also .
The sound board and game board are the same as my space launcher and space fever .
They all use the same hard ware and it is possible to play sherrif on my sf & sl just by a simple rom swap
I also have a spare sound board if yours is broken

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Same game/sound board than space fever? Wow, that's a very interesting information! I'll try to catch one and compare what could be wrong on mine.
I suspect my sheriff sound board to be working, because I can hear the 'scream sound' at power on. Do you have a spare SF game board for me to test maybe?

Chuckie egg

• Nintendo arcade
    • View Profile
If you have no luck then yes but there is one on eBay for sale a working one

DarthNuno

• Administrator
  • ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Singe's castle
    • View Profile
Got some stuff last friday.. parts coming from a Sheriff cabinet, probably coming from the "bell fruit version" as mentioned by Chuckie egg?
Anyway, among the parts, an 'untested' pcb, but the also the dedicated '8 ways rotary-like / push pull joystick' which *I hope* should be the same used in my original Nintendo cabinet  8) Note that the board is also an Nintendo original one!

Stay Tuned...and fingers crossed!

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Looking at the monitor, its brightness is turned way up, or you have a blanking problem..

Always nice to have spare parts  ;D