Author Topic: [Restoration] Missile Storm  (Read 18393 times)

bloodflowers

• View Profile
Re: [Restoration] Missile Storm
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
Did you already create a new entry for this on KLOV? If so, I could publish it right away  ;)

Created an entry as I have some slightly better photos to upload now, just needs someone to approve it.

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
I have much better pics of the Asterock too. With the original bezel instead of the Asteroids one.....

Laschek

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 10:50:01 AM »
Did you already create a new entry for this on KLOV? If so, I could publish it right away  ;)

Created an entry as I have some slightly better photos to upload now, just needs someone to approve it.

Just published the database entry: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=18833

As mentioned before, I have no influence on pic uploads/approvals though.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »
I think Muerto needs to submit the pics if you want them fast there  ;D

bloodflowers

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »
And then .. disaster!  My MS boardset has developed a fault.  Allow it to warm up a bit and corrupt flashy bars appear above and below the picture.  The actual game screen is unchanged and all works, it's like the game is drawing extra memory above and below the actual boundary of the picture.  I'm unfamiliar with Missile Command type hardware, does anyone have any suggestions?  In fact in test mode where only white is used (it says ram/rom are ok), the corruption doesn't really change at all, then scrolls if you roll the trackball, almost like it's drawing the data area for the inputs under the screen.

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 06:50:44 PM »
Post a picture or video.
ZZZ

bloodflowers

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 02:20:30 AM »
http://youtu.be/TSJ_08gdudk

Sorry didn't show much of the game running, the pause is where I've flicked the test switch.

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 03:56:17 AM »
You have a fault in the blanking for the visible display area I think. This is not the same as the video blanking in the sync for the monitor - it looks like the lines are supposed to be present in the video output as a black border to the game area. They'll likely be a specific peice of circuitry that forces black for what looks like the first few and last few H lines (i.e. the data is read out of the VRAM but masked off).

If I can find a set of schematics online for MC, I'll see if I can find the circuit.

Paul.

ZZZ

PaulSwan

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • ZZZ
    • View Profile
    • The Zaccaria WWW Site
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 04:25:28 AM »
On the schematic Sheet 2 Side B in the Output Circuits section the colours are masked by VBLANK*. This signal is generated off VBLANK plus some logic based off the first 3 (1V,2V,4V) and last 3 (32V,64V,128V) V-counter bits hinting it might be doing the visible area blanking. It's located on Sheet 1 Side B in the Sync section, an LS27 and an LS10 (IC B7 and B5 though it'd hard to read on the scan).
Good luck!
Paul.
ZZZ

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 08:21:07 AM »
good hunting work :)....and now let's hope Sidam did a 1:1 copy of the board for this game....but I highly doubt it. (would love to see a pic)..
Asterock's set-up is of course similar to Asteroids, but not a 100% copy. We are lucky to have the Asterock schematics but I don't think I ever saw them for Missile Storm...

lutorkhan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 09:19:48 AM »
I have much better pics of the Asterock too. With the original bezel instead of the Asteroids one.....

Don't blame my poor Asterock, pictures were taken ten years ago with a cheap 2 MP camera.

P.S. when I found the cab the bezel was missing so I supposed it used the one from the original Asteroids since there were no available public pictures  nor any kind of documentation.
My gameroom: asteroids , asterock, canyon bomber, cascade, condor, circus, crash, defender, dribbling, missile command, invasion, pole position II cockpit, rally, zun zun block (ur/ck), star trek 25th anniversary (pinball)
Wanted: robotron, zookeeper

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 10:05:31 AM »
Haha, I don't "blame" anyone....time marches on and cameras improved ;) Indeed I was thankful to find already so much info about Asterock :)

bloodflowers

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »
The board doesn't match the schematics accurately, but there are certain chip arrangements that can be identified.  I've found the LS08/LS10/LS27 associated with VBLANK*, on the Sidam board they're using different parts of the chips in different places, but I now have a list of inputs and outputs to check.  Since I can't run this up on a test bench without unsoldering all the regulators, I'll solder some wires to +5 and GND and do the probe checks hooked up to the cab.

bloodflowers

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »
So I got the probe connected, and the problem has gone away.  Left it for 20 minutes, nothing.

I checked the +5v and it's only 4.85, the totally dead board is reading dead on 5v in the same cab.  Can a bad voltage regulator cause this?

bloodflowers

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »
Fixed.
LS27 was looking bad but after replacement no change.  LS08 however looked good, and was actually bad!