Author Topic: The Norwegian Zaccaria Star Splash restoration project  (Read 52928 times)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: The Norwegian Zaccaria Star Splash restoration project
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »
Sorry to hear that !

Well, welcome back Arch !

Luigi

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »
Sorry mate :(

No good news :( :(

level42

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Ridderkerk, arcade capital of Europe !
    • View Profile
    • Arcade 42
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »
Depends of course....but it's never fun....all the best !

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 12:24:06 AM »
Hi again, and thanks for the sympathy guys. Well, as you can probably guess from my previous post, I haven't really had the chance to invest much time in my arcade projects lately. I have been doing a thing or two in between all the real life stuff though, so I thought I might share some progress with you guys.

I had a couple of days off, so I decided to go ahead with the part of the restoration that I've been dreading the most, namely the sanding and painting of the cabinet. I'm pretty comfy with doing stuff on a computer, like tracing art etc., but the sanding bit is so hands on - and dusty - that I just wanted to get it over with.

I started out in the shared basement of our building. That was a big mistake. I started sanding for a minute or two... looked up... and could barely see three meters for all the dust. So I lugged the cab up the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment and continued on the balcony. That worked a lot better, but when I was done and looked over at the neighbours balcony I discovered that I had covered all their drying laundry in a fine layer of black dust. I had to go over and apologise, and luckily they weren't too cross about it.  :oops:

So after quite a bit of sanding - I think I might have gotten away with even less to be honest - I was left with a nice surface. I then went on to repair some damage to the wood by means of some Liberon acrylic wood filler. The filler came in a range of colours, and for some strange reason I decided to go with brown. Smearing it on the cab, it turned out that it had the colour of poo. Nice one, Arch.  :roll: I also spent quite a bit of time cleaning out the glue of the T-molding slots. I've ended up buying black T-molding for the cab, which will work nicely I think.

So that is pretty much the state of the cab right now. It has gone into storage awaiting my house move in November. Until then I could do with a bit of advice on how to go about painting the kickplate and front of the CP. What kind of paint would you use to get the glossy black front of the Zac cabs? I have no experience with painting a smooth surface like this, so any advice is appreciated.

So much for the handyman. I've been doing quite a bit of tracing the last few days based on the scans I did in may. You won't believe how many stars this side art has. I've been listening to upbeat chiptunes to work faster, but the monotony of drawing all those stars has been a killer. In the end none of them are similar though, and they look exactly like the original. What remains are the halftones. Getting good halftones can be hard, but I will try to do my best to stay close to the original. I hope to send this to the printers so that the art will be ready when the cab comes out of storage.

Ok, hope you like what I've done so far. Progress is slow, but steady. I've aquired quite a lot of dedicated project cabs recently, but I won't touch them until this one is done. Focus!  :shock:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:26:35 AM by Arch »
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
Currently looking for an original Wonderboy PCB.

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:48 AM »
Good job so far Arch!
but, ahem...  ::)
I think you'll have to listen to some more of that chiptunes mayhem because you forgot a buch of tiny stars here and there.  ;D
Nothing dramatic though, this should be done pretty fast.

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »
Lol! Well spotted!   :D

I must have been a bit quick about it when I did the .png export, because some of the layers were switched off. I assure you, I have done those stars as well.  ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »
I've been doing quite a bit of tracing the last few days based on the scans I did in may. You won't believe how many stars this side art has. I've been listening to upbeat chiptunes to work faster, but the monotony of drawing all those stars has been a killer. In the end none of them are similar though, and they look exactly like the original. What remains are the halftones. Getting good halftones can be hard, but I will try to do my best to stay close to the original.

Arrhhh, the sweet smell of suffering !  :twisted:

I know what you mean  ;D ;D ;D

Great job so far !

The front and kickplate are brown also, not black IIRC

Q*ris

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • CAP'TAIIIN ARCADE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2012, 01:48:55 PM »
Lol! Well spotted!   :D

I must have been a bit quick about it when I did the .png export, because some of the layers were switched off. I assure you, I have done those stars as well.  ;)

cool, then!
I just wanted to make sure you didn't forget them.
Sometimes when you spend hours with your nose in the details, you don't see the big picture anymore.
Like a big spelling mistake on a poster or something (that particular example is checked as "already done" in my book btw :oops:).

Belike

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »
Well done, it was a real pain to see that original sideart sanded though. :P

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »
Belike: The sideart had to go, sadly. It was a real mess that didn't really show well in the pictures. People had been at it with knives and cigarette lighters. Norway in the 80's=The Wild West.
Chris: Yes, I know what you mean. I work in publishing, and one time we published a book with a big huge typo on the front cover.  :oops:
Etienne: not really sure about it being brown. I've had a look at it in all sorts of light now, and it looks black to me. Might have been painted over at some point though, so I will go with the colour code you gave me.

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2012, 03:27:49 PM »
It must be painted over then, i mean it does not get any browner than this  :D

slowcade

• Norway
    • View Profile
    • http://slowcade.blogspot.com/
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2012, 08:14:49 PM »
Very nice work so far!  :)
How was the Liberon acrylic wood filler? Easy to work with? People on this forum often apply a wood hardener before the wood filler. Did you? I've never seen any such product for sale in Norway..  >:(

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2012, 08:22:26 PM »
I forgot to ask, hos did you get the colorcodes of the blue, purple and yellow ?

just from the scan, or did you color match them ?

If you got the values, i am interested in them!  ;)

Etienne MacGyver

• ArcadeLifeStyler'
  • The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2013, 07:56:25 PM »
Any updates on this Arch ?

Arch

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
Not really any progress, except for the fact that I am able to get to it again - in a physical sense. I took it out of storage just recently, and it is now sitting in my basement. Current status is that I have perhaps one or two work sessions left on the side art. I've experimented a couple of times to get the halftone patterns right, but I seem to come to a dead end every time. But it is not abandoned. Too much work has gone into it and I want to see it finished. Hopefully before we meet in .nl.  :)